UKBouldering.com

Injury in bicep area (Read 1714 times)

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Injury in bicep area
February 03, 2016, 04:08:00 pm
I have tried to figure out what this is but its quite hard to google it and not get sidetracked.

It only hurts when I do really wide moves where I am almost at full width of arm extension and I am pulling in hard to compress something like an arete. I think I did it a few months back but I'm not sure. At the time it was easily replicable by doing pull ups. It would hurt right near the bottom of the pullup if I did wide arm pullups.

It doesn't seem to happen with the pullups anymore but on wide compression moves it happens without fail if I have to pull hard.

The pain isn't there until it suddenly comes on sharply and I have to let go.

I have attached a diagram to show where it hurts. (black circle is the pain area)

Its just in the join between the bottom of the deltoid and the top outside of the bicep.

Anyone have an idea what this might be and if there is anything I can be doing to fix it or even conclusively diagnose it?

bigdrew

• regular
#1 Re: Injury in bicep area
March 01, 2016, 08:24:56 pm
You having any luck with this?

My shoulder is doing a similar thing (along with other problems)

Got a physio appointment next week but I'm assuming some sort of bicep tendinitis.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Injury in bicep area
March 01, 2016, 10:51:40 pm
It could be something with the biceps' long head that goes deep under the front delt. Usually it's triggered by pulling with a supinated grip, like underclings, but I can see it hurting in wide grip pull ups, biceps is heavily engaged.
Avoiding said moves (d'oh) and maybe gently strengthening it by doing light hammer curls and light pronated (reverse) curls could help.
See a physio and follow his advice, it's even better.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Injury in bicep area
March 02, 2016, 10:23:55 am
Its getting better on its own but I did feel it again the other day when doing weighted pullups. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as previously and as long as I didn't go quite down onto straight arms and I maintained tension throughout the arm to stabilise it there was no issue.

I have avoided doing really wide compression moves for the past month or so and haven't noticed any issues climbing so I hope that its getting better.

I was doing hammer curls and reverse curls at the time it became an issue but they weren't light. (well, not for me).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal