UKBouldering.com

Venues unsuitable for night climbing (Read 30816 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#25 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
February 04, 2016, 12:48:57 pm
I had a few thoughts on the subject before

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,18531

didn't really go anywhere

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
www.thebmc.co.uk/night-climbing-bouldering-lantern-sessions-tips

Is bouldering at night the perfect time to try your long-time project? It's true that the lower temps can mean better friction, plus you won't have to queue up for rock, but are there any issues with climbing in the dark? We highlight what's best if you're planning on cragging at night.

There’s something special about being out in wild places at night, and sending that bouldering project you’ve been trying for months is always a bonus too. But we must not forget that as climbers we have to remember to act responsibly, else risk losing access to these areas both at night and in the day. To help light your way, we consider three things you might not have thought about but should be aware of, followed by our top tips for bouldering at night.

Three things to be wary of

1. Visibility is vulnerability

As Peak Area access stalwart Henry Folkard is fond of saying: “To be visible is to be vulnerable.”

It’s much more conspicuous to boulder at night with head-torches, lanterns and other lights – way more than when climbing during the day. To maintain our access to these areas at all times, we have to be a little more considerate than normal.

At night, lights can be seen from a considerable distance and noise carries much further, which can easily draw a lot of attention to you. Take the hypothetical example of a venue located outside of access land where low-key climbing happens but isn’t known about by the landowner. A visit at night with bright lights is much more likely to be noticed and could easily result in an access ban.

This caution can even be necessary at venues with well-established access. Night bouldering is a fairly unusual activity, especially when looked at from a non-climber’s perspective, and can arouse suspicion in the general public, landowners and authorities.

The general advice is to keep things as low-key as possible and try not to disturb anybody. In particular, venues that are close to or in view of someone’s house are best avoided.

2. Wildlife needs sleep too

If we’re climbing round-the-clock, we’re putting additional pressure on our countryside. And from a conservation perspective, we might be disturbing a number of natural habitats and the fauna that live in them; it’s a growing concern among land managers.

For instance, birds might be roosting in or around the areas we use for climbing, and the reduction of normal quiet periods can disturb these and other types of animals’ routine. Of particular concern is night-time activity during the bird breeding season between March and July.

As with day-time activity, it is also important to take account of any restrictions that might be in place. Remember to check for access issues on the BMC Regional Access Database (RAD) before you go and also take care to check for signs on-site with access warnings.

3. A case of mistaken identity

There are many reasons why authorities or even passers-by might mistake your intent when night-bouldering, so don’t be surprised if you’re confronted.

In upland areas, livestock rustling (whilst not an everyday occurrence) is still a significant problem. This means farmers, rangers and rural policemen could take more of an interest in a group of people out on a moor with bright lights than you might expect.

Meanwhile, wild camping and the resulting mess left by poorly-behaved groups is an issue in other areas. And stationary lights on a crag after dark might also make a kind-hearted passer-by wonder if an accident has occurred and call emergency services.

Our eight tips for responsible night climbing:

1. Choose wisely

Think about whether your intended venue is really suitable for a visit during the hours of darkness. Are there any access issues (check our Regional Access Database), will you disturb anyone on the walk to the crag, is there potential for people/farmers to think you’re up to no good? If there’s a chance that you’ll be worrying people or disturbing their night, there might be a better choice of crag to visit; is it worth the risk of compromising already shaky access?

2. Head-torches only on walk-in

Keep your big lights off during the walk in to keep disturbance to a minimum. It also reduces the impact you’ll be making on wildlife and livestock. Remember, most people and a lot of animals like to sleep during the night, so try to avoid waking anything up.

3. Direct your light

Try to keep your light pollution to a minimum. By that, we mean not needlessly waving around torches – instead direct your lanterns onto the rock and away from houses, turn off lights if you’re not climbing, potentially use red light as it doesn’t travel as far.

4. Forget fuel if you can

Take LED lamps – the technology is cheap these days and will give you hours of light if used correctly. If you only have a gas or fuel-burning lamp, just make sure that it’s either hung from a secure stand or placed on a non-flammable bit of countryside (like a rock!) to mitigate the risk of starting a fire.

5. Remember rubbish

It’s easy to lose things at night and rubbish is no exception. Pack away your rubbish before you forget where you put it or you’ll be leaving a mess for the wildlife to get into. 

6. Extra vigilance

Remember that climbing at night is totally different. You have to be extra cautious when spotting, topping out, down climbing, walking out, or even just when wandering out of the light. Be extra careful to avoid any unfortunate accidents that are always more complicated to deal with in the dark.

7. Careful whispers

Noise carries further in the dark, so try not to carelessly shout when egging on your mates or if you’ve just topped out your project. Remember, with night climbing you’re trying to keep a low profile and avoid having anyone know you’re out there.

8. Fun times

Lantern sessions will always be very limited by the scarcity of suitable venues, problems or even conditions, but the key is to think through your plans before you head out and consider if any of the issues highlighted might apply to your choice of venue. Once you’ve settled on a good option, remember you’ll likely draw at least a little attention, so behave responsibly, keep noise to a minimum, and most importantly have fun!

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
I assume Anston Stones Wood is off the cards (at least until the leaves have grown back in the spring). Has anyone any experience doing night sessions here? Is it easy to keep a low profile at the right time of year?

Is the access situation still pretty unknown?
I struggle to find it on the RAD.

I was thinking of using Forest Rock instead for night sessions for the time being (considering I have to be somewhere north within 1hr40 from Cambridgeshire).

andy_e

• forum hero
I'd have thought Forest Rock would be a bad idea due to the already-strained relationships with the neighbours.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Ah, I didn't know about a strained relationship with the neighbors.

It did look like a place that is fairly easy the stay under the radar if in the back of the cave.

And I am sure I have seen videos of people climbing there at night...

Anyway, if its a bad idea maybe I will avoid it.

Any good suggestions?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I assume Anston Stones Wood is off the cards (at least until the leaves have grown back in the spring). Has anyone any experience doing night sessions here? Is it easy to keep a low profile at the right time of year?

I've only been once, but I think Anston would probably be okay actually. It's a way from any houses, and the road and railway are so close flashing lights are the norm and will probably drown out any noise.

dave

Lantern sessions at Anston would probably keep local skutters away from lighting fires and necking cans of redstripe, so would probably be welcomed.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
The other perturbing factor for thinking Anstons might be sensitive to night sessions was this:

I think this is an important point. Night climbing at places like Anston Stones and Roche Abbey I don't think is a great idea. Access is improving in these areas and to a lot of folks Climbing at night with lights is classed as the same kind of nuisense behaviour as fire lighting etc.

And holding the proper amount of respect for Dolph and all his/crews hard work, there is probably a good reason for thinking about the suitability of Anston in particular as a night venue in its current state (and wanting to know a little more about the access). In the case of a place with unknown/flakey access like this, super low profile may be an important priority (both for wanting to keep climbing available there, and not wanting to get beset upon by the local youths).

In which case, where is the balance?
Going out on my lonesome may not draw too much unwanted attention, but imagine if a Sheffield based university club had some great idea like having a social out there...

Some specific guidelines from a supervising body on their official position with regards to night bouldering activities might be useful if anyone has to approach any meaningful discussion with proprietors/land owners (to complement the friendly do's and don'ts article provided).

What do you think?  :worms:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Some specific guidelines from a supervising body on their official position with regards to night bouldering activities might be useful

Isn't that what Shark has copy and pasted from The BMC?  :shrug:

clintos

• regular
  • Top Banana
I'd have thought Forest Rock would be a bad idea due to the already-strained relationships with the neighbours.
Iamp session here have not been a problem. The main thing is to keep noise down to a minimum, I'd probably avoid using light at the entrance but further in nobody can see anything.I've had some good night sessions here.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Once again a clear case for the for and against lamp sessions at dodgy access venues. It seems that at Anston it's a bad idea to climb with lamps due to access issues progressing unless you fancy climbing at night using lamps were its a good idea since it might keep Chavs away and the train will mask any noise. However the situation is even more clear cut at forest rock where the neighbours don't want you there anyway so climbing at night is a very bad idea unless you actually wanted to climb at night when it's a very good idea since no one can see the lights if you go far enough into the cave. Hope that clears it up for most people

36chambers

• forum hero
#36 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 01, 2016, 08:25:22 pm
This is the same I've posted on relevant facebook groups but...

Does anyone know what the current access issues are at Almscliff with regards to climbing with lamps in the dark? We were climbing near the virgin boulder when someone drove up the field and starting telling us to "clear off", stating that it was private land and we weren't allowed to climb in the dark, the terms "private rocks" and "health and safety hazards" were used, although he wouldn't confirm whether he owned the land. Furthermore he threatened to take note of our licence plates and tell the police. He also threatened to call the police if he catches people there in the future.

:'(

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 01, 2016, 08:37:15 pm
Hmm that sounds like a change in attitude. The farmer gets pissed off with yoofs going up there and boozing/smoking but i thought was ok with climbers. Maybe this is one for the BMC to investigate... iirc it is private land but there are several rights of way across it....

I've chatted to the farmer (4-5 years ago) several times (in the daytime) when he's been fixing his walls and he's always seemed like a decent fella. Maybe it's someone new, or something has happened to change his views... :-/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#38 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 01, 2016, 08:38:07 pm
Telling the police is an empty threat; trespass is a civil tort not a criminal offence. I would suggest dropping an email to Rob Dyer at the BMC as if there are such limitations on access they need to be understood and circulated. I've climbed up there in the dark a couple of times but a long time ago.

36chambers

• forum hero
#39 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 01, 2016, 08:51:21 pm
I should have included that he mentioned that someone recently broke there leg there, I'm assuming at night time, and they had to get mountain rescue in. So I suspect that's probably what started it.

I must have averaged about 20 lamp sessions a year at the cliff over the past few years.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#40 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 01, 2016, 10:26:14 pm
Everytime I see this thread title I think "Every crag".  I know I'm getting older and I don't live close to any climbing anymore so I'm not remotely qualified to comment and I used to go running on the moors with DPFR with a head torch which you could argue is the same thing - although we were moving so had a limited impact in any place at any one time.  The BMC guidelines are good but not firm enough and from a distance I think night climbing is always going to jeopardise access anywhere.  Go to the wall, train on a fingerboard and go climbing in the day IMHO...

B0405413

• addict
#41 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 12:01:05 am
For many people, going climbing at night after work is the only time they can actually go climbing. It seems unfair to suggest that people avoid climbing at night completely when it is such an important part of people's lives, and there are crags to which access is so unlikely to become restricted as a result of people climbing there in the dark. Surely it makes sense for people just to stick to the crags with less sensitive access.

dave

#42 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 08:22:50 am
I think the whole key to respectful night climbing is visibility. The general public and landowers aren't used to it, and the default response is going to be to assume that folk are up to no good. So you need to go somewhere that ideally is not too visible or prominent from roads, houses, etc. The further away you can be seen from, the more likely you are to get problems. Obviously anything not on publicly accessible land also has the potential to be problematic. The longer you are in one place, the later it is, the more noise you make, the brighter your lights, the more chance for problems.

Examples of places it's less likely to cause problems are like Stanage, Secret Garden, Stoney, Turningstone or Burbage where there is relatively busy public access, the land management are used to climbers being there, it's not close to houses, and most lamp activities are to some extent obscured from roads due to other boulders, trees, or remoteness. Also some places like this have other night users like runners and mountain bikers, so you don't stick out too far.

Places it's going to be unwise are stuff near dwellings (trackside, rubicon), banned crags with some visibility (eatswood), sensitive access crags (squirrel buttress, half of blackwell dale, possibly Anston), crags very visible for miles around (possibly almscliff), new crags where landowners are not used to climbers etc etc.

Basically do your research and use a bit of common sense.

T_B

• forum hero
#43 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 09:29:34 am
Everytime I see this thread title I think "Every crag".  I know I'm getting older and I don't live close to any climbing anymore so I'm not remotely qualified to comment

I think things have changed a great deal (maybe partly to how good headtorches/lights are now?). Outdoor sports have way more participants and people are desperate to get outdoors whenever they can, as they're so time pressured. There are loads of people/sports/events that use the outdoors at night. This just popped up a minute ago on my Twitter feed http://www.thenightrunner.com/night-runner/rivington-night-runner-14-january-2017.html

Last night I saw a Peloton of 20+ roadies all with incredibly bright lights, mountain bikers, runners, boulderers and cavers.. all out and about. The Peak is very active in the evening at this time of year. If you choose your venue carefully, I don't think you're risking access. That said, maybe a symbol and some blurb in future bouldering guides would be helpful?

andy_e

• forum hero
#44 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 09:41:33 am
You could see four or five parties from the road at the cliff last night, it was quite ridiculous. You could even see the place lit up from Gravelly Hill Lane, which is over a mile away.

36chambers

• forum hero
#45 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 09:51:20 am
I should stress that his main concern was with people hurting themselves at night time. I was under the impression he thought climbing at night was too dangerous. There was no mention of light pollution being an issue or anything like that.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#46 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 01:40:03 pm
Good responses Dave and TB.  You both have ample enough experience to know how and where to go night bouldering.    I used to love running at night on the moors back in t'day and it's a great feeling to be out doing something mid-week that you would normally associate with a weekend only activity.

BS04, I don't buy that for "many" people, night-time is the only time to go climbing.  What did the "many" do before night bouldering became an option? We went climbing at weekends when we weren't at work/college and trained indoors (or a floodlit brick edge) on dark evenings.

I think my unease stems from night bouldering perhaps becoming the new-normal with the events at Almscliff perhaps illustrating what might be more common in future?  Or, maybe it's just sour grapes on my part lovely grit conditions in West London today...

36chambers

• forum hero
#47 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 02:32:56 pm
BS04, I don't buy that for "many" people, night-time is the only time to go climbing.

Why not? It's easy to imagine a scenario in which someone can only get out on real rock on midweek evenings.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#48 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 02:43:32 pm
someone != many

36chambers

• forum hero
#49 Re: Venues unsuitable for night climbing
November 02, 2016, 02:52:48 pm
Why not? It's easy to imagine a plethora of scenarios in which someone can only get out on real rock on midweek evenings.

better?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal