UKBouldering.com

Meat and mass (Read 10808 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#25 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 05:10:26 pm
I pay some attention to what I eat, but I'm definitely not counting the amount of macro-nutrients or micro-nutritions I'm eating to make sure I'll get enough of everything. I do make sure to eat a lot of green vegetables, lots of beans/lentils, some legumes, and using several different protein-sources for every meal. (And B12 supplements of course). Common sense really.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 07:04:59 pm
(And B12 supplements of course)

In the form of Marmite?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#27 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 07:14:54 pm
Common sense

that's 90% of your audience excluded from the process

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 07:36:28 pm

Common sense

that's 90% of your audience excluded from the process

Dense sense is where it's at...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#29 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 09:04:50 pm

Didn't know about the B12 issue for vegetarians. Just googled it - interesting.

I was thinking about fat vegetarians and it struck me that the highest concentration is probably in middle class communities in large parts of India, where religion makes vegetarianism mainstream and there also seems to be high social respect, even encouragement, for plumpness (I am aware that I am at risk of racial stereotyping here, but I think that's objectively quite accurate.). I also guess that some of the counter-culture strongholds of the US (Vermont, Oregon, northern California, etc) have their fair share too ... decades of munchies equals a lot of cake.

This is true of many third world diets. Most being very high in starch (rice/maize et al) and short on protein; if not entirely vegetarian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

webbo

• forum hero
#30 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 09:18:00 pm

I was thinking about fat vegetarians and it struck me that the highest concentration is probably in middle class communities in large parts of India, where religion makes vegetarianism mainstream and there also seems to be high social respect, even encouragement, for plumpness (I am aware that I am at risk of racial stereotyping here, but I think that's objectively quite accurate.). I also guess that some of the counter-culture strongholds of the US (Vermont, Oregon, northern California, etc) have their fair share too ... decades of munchies equals a lot of cake.
I had a vegetarian colleague who,went to the docs and said "I eat healthily whole grains, no meat and lots of vegetables but I can't seem to lose weight . He said try putting less in your mouth love.

TheTwig

• stalker
#31 Re: Meat and mass
February 05, 2016, 01:16:21 am

Wot Matt said. I've visited India a few times and my family go there regularly. People are either stick thin or obviously overweight (generalisation sure, but accurate). Masses of starch and a love of dairy. Indian sweets are fucking delicious btw. Has anybody ever tried this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barfi - Delicious!!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#32 Re: Meat and mass
February 05, 2016, 02:54:27 am
There is an Indian saying "never trust a fat Indian"

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#33 Re: Meat and mass
February 05, 2016, 09:26:05 am
I read an article somewhere about Asians needing a different BMI scale (I know,  I know)  because they could be dangerously obese without breaching the normal limits.

On the rigs in Malaysia,  having a wobbly pot belly was all the rage! It's all sugar and rice - I put on weight every trip out there and was always craving food...

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Mumra

#34 Re: Meat and mass
February 05, 2016, 06:23:00 pm
Who wouldn't! That would go straight to me thighs  :-*

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#35 Re: Meat and mass
February 05, 2016, 06:28:29 pm
By far the tastiest oil rig food I've had though....which might be part of the problem nom nom .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal