UKBouldering.com

Meat and mass (Read 10896 times)

Mumra

Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 07:52:36 pm
So after reading through the topic that's gone off topic it got me wondering about people diet and their body weight. I was a strict vegetarian for 12 years, then spent a year eating fish followed by consuming more animal protein in Australia than I thought possible. I was pretty light before eating me (in my 20's), but I noticed that I was exactly 1/2 stone heavier after I started eating meat.
So my reason for starting this is really to poll what weight our vegi/pesci/vegan friends are (on average). On a separate note  when I was lighter my body composition was also higher in fat despite being lower in weight........

twoshoes

• regular
#1 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 07:59:41 pm
I've been a pretty strict veggie for around 2 years. And in that time my weight has increased by 4 pounds.* Make of that what you will. It's probably got more to do with the fact that I'm not going biking 4/5 days a week than anything I'm eating.

*The accuracy of this measurement may be considered dubious. I only ever weigh myself on my mum's scales when I go and see her at Christmas.

Mumra

#2 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:08:26 pm
When I started out on the vegi route my diet was terrible....mostly dairy and very little vegetables. I guess I weighed less because I was younger....and had less muscle mass

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:08:58 pm
So after reading through the topic that's gone off topic

You'll need to be more specific than that. ;)

I've been light all my life but I've eaten meat all my life as well so I don't think I'm much help in a survey. Sugar is the deciding factor in how much I weigh- if I want to get lighter I just stop eating chocolate etc. until I'm skinny again.

A vegetarian ex-girlfriend once asked me if I could think of a single fat veggie and I couldn't. Now I work with an obese woman who's one of those vegetarians who doesn't like vegetables- she's only ever eaten crisps, white bread, chocolate and cheese. I thought about getting in touch with my ex to tell her but that would probably seem a bit weird.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:10:01 pm
Putting my scientist hat on and looking at your experimental design (I can hear the intake of breath from here - feel the mouse twitch towards the punter button... but...) I'd suggest that answers to this probably won't mean very much as you need to account for height etc....

But, maybe get people to reply with their BMI* instead (pretty easy to calculate  etc....)? This will then normalise to a degree?

*I know BMI is a crock of shit in many ways but its simplicity probably makes it useful here...

Mumra

#5 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:19:57 pm
That's probably not a bad idea....though if you want to relate this to ability you would need to blah blah blah  :worms:

I'm guessing I would have put weight on as I aged, however it is funny that it was exactly 1/2 before and after. Maybe red meat in my poop shoot?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:26:34 pm
I don't believe that thing about x lbs of undigested meat sitting inside us

no reason, it sounds dumb to me

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#7 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:34:59 pm
I would say that I find it easier to maintain weight with my current diet than when I was a full bore meat eater but I think that's also down to us just eating less.

Cutting out as much sugar as possible and not worrying about fat content of real food (i.e. I don't eat Maccy Ds, but do eat 150g of full fat greek yoghurt daily, plus cheese, loads of olive oil, nuts etc.) makes it so, so much easier to prevent those kind of hunger pangs that make you reach for shitty food. I'm rarely hungry more than 30 mins before meals, rarely crash and feel jittery. Basically my metabolism seems well matched with what I eat now, whereas before, I'd be hunger panging and snacking all over the shop. Back in the days of carbo loading, low fat and probably too much sugar.

/anecdotal as fuck

dave

#8 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 08:43:59 pm
that thing about x lbs of undigested meat sitting inside us

So hard not to make an obvious innuendo about this.

webbo

• forum hero
#9 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 09:07:06 pm
I gained weight easily when I ate meat and I still do now I don't. I find the trick is to put less in my mouth whether it's meat or veggie.

Murph

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 09:21:25 pm
if you're interested in this there was a 7th day Adventist study that said, in terms of bmi:
Vegans < vegetarians < pescetarians < semi-veggie < non-veggies.

Less likely to be diabetic too in the same order.

7th day Adventists are good study fodder apparently because they can reasonably control for a number of other characteristics such as drink, drugs and smoking.

Mumra

#11 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 09:23:19 pm

I was only joking. I enjoy anal too much

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#12 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 09:32:09 pm
well, that renders any innuendo redundant

rodma

• forum hero
#13 Re: Meat and mass
February 01, 2016, 09:49:24 pm

Putting my scientist hat on and looking at your experimental design

I had thought you were going to go on and point out the problems with self measurement.

Steps on scales

Hey they say I weigh m+2 kilos

Steps off scales. Repositions scales. Steps back on.

Hey they say I weigh m+3 kilos

Steps off scales again. Turns them through 180 degrees.
Sneaks up on scales. Carefully transfers all weight onto the right_ hand front quarter and views the dial from an oblique angle.

Hey they say I weigh m+1 kilos, but I haven't taken a crap yet and I reckon that latte was about a litre in size, not forgetting the large glass of water I just drank, so I guess I'm really m-1 kilos all things considered

for the avoidance of doubt m is the weight you like to imagine is your normal weight.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TheTwig

• stalker
#14 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 12:36:31 am
Lifelong vegetarian. Never, ever, ever eaten meat or fish, and never eaten an egg unless it's been hidden in a cake or something similar and I didn't know about it.

Can't really help much with a before/after thing. I'm 6ft and 71kg atm (which feels heavy for me, I feel pretty good around 68-69) My thinking goes that while a veggie/vegan diet doesn't of itself automatically make someone lose weight, just in general being more mindful with food is likely to lead to better eating habits.

petejh

• forum hero
#15 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 08:10:46 am

Ever had a diagnostic scan of your belly/lower back/groin area? I was full of shit on mine.

Still am.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#16 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 09:05:23 am
And vigorous combatant in the righteous war against lettuce, too!

I hate your skinny ex-pat arse even more now, I gave up on the refined carbs thread but had assumed you had some amazing diet.

I eat less meat and a lot less processed shit (cheesy and bacon grills, toffee and cream yogurts, croissants, full meal curries etc etc) than I did 8 years ago, and am 2 stone heavier. FML.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#17 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 09:34:51 am
Lifelong non-vegetarian. Also non-buyer of organic food, processed meat enthusiast (especially good salami type stuff - I cook a lot with chorizo) and occasional customer of McDonalds (and Canada's comfort-food champion: Tim Hortons). Despite that, about the same BMI now (20'ish) as I was in my late teens. In fact, currently my clothing sizing is exactly the same as my 16 year old son. I can put on weight if I am really lax - alcohol seems to be the main swing factor - but I find it pretty easy to get back to "normal" by just sticking to an adequate-protein low-calorie diet for a week or two.

My Granny smoked for 70 years and didn't die of lung cancer. Therefore, smoking doesn't give you cancer  :slap:

More importantly - how you even like  McDonalds? It's shit.

petejh

• forum hero
#18 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 09:37:55 am
Lifelong non-vegetarian. Also non-buyer of organic food, processed meat enthusiast (especially good salami type stuff - I cook a lot with chorizo) and occasional customer of McDonalds (and Canada's comfort-food champion: Tim Hortons). Despite that, about the same BMI now (20'ish) as I was in my late teens. In fact, currently my clothing sizing is exactly the same as my 16 year old son. I can put on weight if I am really lax - alcohol seems to be the main swing factor - but I find it pretty easy to get back to "normal" by just sticking to an adequate-protein low-calorie diet for a week or two.

It's quite easy to portray a certain image but you clearly do work on/think about diet (in your contrarian way, natch). This reminded me of Shark's comments about his Squamish trip -
for balance:
Quote from: Shark
Toby is looking impressively skinny and giving me some stern lessons about dieting.

Quote from: Shark
I am also pleased to have been able to stick with most dietary changes / lifestyle lessons from habrich (principally higher protein, less alcohol, limited carbs)
;)

Mumra

#19 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 09:38:29 am
I'm taking a wild guess that you're Asian, no?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#20 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 11:16:18 am

Ever had a diagnostic scan of your belly/lower back/groin area? I was full of shit on mine.

Still am.

I don't need a scan to know that I am full of shit

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#21 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 05:37:31 pm
So basically habrich you are the dietary equivalent of Sharma-style "nah dude I don't like train for climbing, I mean working on 9bs 5 days a week is not training, right??"

"nah dude I eat loads of non-organic processed shit, I mean doing that in uber-careful moderation and meticulously calorie-counting isn't any sort of diet, right??"

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#22 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 06:16:55 pm
My paraphrasing is at least 95% accurate so no you do not get a hot Venezuelan chick.

Mumra

#23 Re: Meat and mass
February 02, 2016, 06:36:20 pm
Fillet of fish for the wife?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: Meat and mass
February 03, 2016, 08:41:42 am
When I became vegetarian neither my weight nor my physique changed. Sure, the first half year there are some small changes as the body get used to the new state, but in the long run I have not seen any meaningful changes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal