UKBouldering.com

Give me a training regime (Read 16080 times)

petejh

• forum hero
#25 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 09:53:08 pm
If you don't already, could be an apt time to discover the benefits a bit of simple meditation can have on negative thought patterns and psych for training.. Beer and cheese first though.

Muesli

• addict
#26 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 10:12:44 pm

Perhaps not directly applicable for your situation but maybe some inspiration/motivation to be found here

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#27 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 11:25:15 pm
I did some weights this morning any standing exercises are difficult ...
I did notice my shoulders felt weaker than usual possibly due using the crutches.

When I broke a bone in my foot, I joined a local authority gym (always hated them, never joined one before or since) but it was pretty good for sanity and exercise: seated weights machines are way easier, when its time to do increased load on the tendon you can do that with the lower limb stuff. You can do cardio on a rowing machine, or a recumbent exercise bike (I used to strap the pot on my foot into either of these: you get some pretty funny looks); and you tend to get a variety of core type things as well. Crutching long distances keeps you fit too! (and beasts your shoulders....)

Duncan campbell

• junky
#28 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 07:28:45 am
I did notice my shoulders felt weaker than usual possibly due using the crutches.
Crutching long distances keeps you fit too! (and beasts your shoulders....)

^^ This. When I busted my heel over the summer I crutched around loads and defo got bigger shoulders... think my best effort was crutching from Sheffield train station to the where I lived 2 mins from the works (prob wont mean anything to most people but it felt like ages)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#29 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 07:46:40 am
signed off for 8 weeks?

6 weeks pairing cheeses and beers followed by 2 weeks hammering DNP - this will put you in the right physical and mental state for returning to work

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 08:23:44 am

When I broke a bone in my foot, I joined a local authority gym (always hated them, never joined one before or since) but it was pretty good for sanity and exercise: seated weights machines are way easier, when its time to do increased load on the tendon you can do that with the lower limb stuff. You can do cardio on a rowing machine, or a recumbent exercise bike (I used to strap the pot on my foot into either of these: you get some pretty funny looks); and you tend to get a variety of core type things as well. Crutching long distances keeps you fit too! (and beasts your shoulders....)

I was going to suggest doing biceps curls and so on in sitting, forward rows lying on a table, but Toby's is much better advice. It will also get you out of the house.

Keep us posted on the medical side of things, PM if you'd prefer. I'd also feel concerned about the ambiguity of the advice you've had. I'm not a TA expert but I'm overseeing a trial of TA treatments run by a colleague and can put you in touch with people if necessary. Surgical repair can work for older people.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#31 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 09:37:01 am
Hire a rowing machine??

webbo

• forum hero
#32 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 12:05:45 pm
Getting out to a gym is not possible as I can't drive at the moment and I live in rural East Yorkshire which is not known for having the best bus service going.
I think I getting my head round what I can do given the equipment to hand. I can do a fair amount of seated free weights plus finger boarding and I've just ordered a pull up bar.
So it's about a schedule in the past I've tended to do abs, shoulders, chest, back,triceps, biceps then do a fingerboard session.
Would I be better doing pull ups, fingerboard and abs one day then weights the next. Or do day on day off.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#33 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 12:17:36 pm
Crutching long distances keeps you fit too! (and beasts your shoulders....)

^^ This. When I busted my heel over the summer I crutched around loads and defo got bigger shoulders... think my best effort was crutching from Sheffield train station to the where I lived 2 mins from the works (prob wont mean anything to most people but it felt like ages)

Good effort Duncan! I don't know if I beat that distance, but I did crutch up and down a pretty steep hill about a mile to and from the gym (think roughly Eccelsall Road up to the top of Crookes equivalent), which may well have been a better work out than the gym itself.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#34 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 03:21:11 pm
Eh up webbs. I've been in a cast for 6 weeks now and have been doing a combination of exercises. When fingerboarding  it was a ballache in between reps so I put a chair right under the board for chilling in between sets. I also use my pull up bar and have invested in some trx type bands. I reckon it's been 10 years since I last did pull ups with any conviction. Turn out I had got really bad at them so it's good to see gains.
Like you say, just getting around is fucking tiring and I get one he'll of a core workout just crutching about.
I figure this is also an opportunity to try and finally sort out my golfers elbow too.
I really wasn't ready for how draining this whole process would be but exercise keeps me psyched.

webbo

• forum hero
#35 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:10:20 pm
It's also 10 years since I did any pull ups, I'd injured my leg then but could walk.
I was half hoping I'd get to the end of my climbing career without doing them again.
Trying to get a cup of tea and some toast from the kitchen to the sofa is a major expedition involving lots of crawling on my knees whilst lifting the cup 3 foot along at a time.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#36 Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:17:20 pm
Trying to get a cup of tea and some toast from the kitchen to the sofa is a major expedition involving lots of crawling on my knees whilst lifting the cup 3 foot along at a time.
this used to drive me nuts. Ended up going as far past the tea and toast on the floor as I could, turn round, reach back, place again as far as I could reach in direction of travel and repeat. Infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webbo

• forum hero
#37 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:22:08 pm
I tried doing it in a rush yesterday ( a bit of a cliffhanger in the bowls ) and ended up with tea everywhere.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#38 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:30:20 pm
I've got the technique down for carrying drinks. Need to carry it in the hand on your non injured side and tuck that crutch up in your pit. Then... Actually this is a pain to describe but if you want to know I'll do a video!
Otherwise get a small rucksack for carrying non liquids

rich d

• forum hero
#39 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:34:46 pm
I've got the technique down for carrying drinks. Need to carry it in the hand on your non injured side and tuck that crutch up in your pit. Then... Actually this is a pain to describe but if you want to know I'll do a video!
FFS stop dicking about and get one of these

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 04:40:16 pm
RE: Tea - I got one of these for Xmas (small thermos mug thing) but it seals really well (can be thrown in backpack) - might be useful?

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/6850/products/lifeventure-thermal-mug-matt-khaki.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAiAw4e1BRDfi7vghaWU9jESJACzo9juUnH81wWca7tG3EnI8aGlR23ZibVlJD6ZkUEKoP0edRoCNoXw_wcB

petejh

• forum hero
#41 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:31:50 pm

Dense didn't mention he'd bought a robot
 :jab:

webbo

• forum hero
#42 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:38:21 pm
Can you weight your inured leg if not I need video evidence.

webbo

• forum hero
#43 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:40:13 pm
RE: Tea - I got one of these for Xmas (small thermos mug thing) but it seals really well (can be thrown in backpack) - might be useful?

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/6850/products/lifeventure-thermal-mug-matt-khaki.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAiAw4e1BRDfi7vghaWU9jESJACzo9juUnH81wWca7tG3EnI8aGlR23ZibVlJD6ZkUEKoP0edRoCNoXw_wcB
How the fuck I am supposed to get toast in that, it thick sliced you know.

webbo

• forum hero
#44 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:43:37 pm

That's quite a worrying photo as if I didn't get a haircut for a month or so and bought myself a white vest. :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#45 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:45:02 pm
Put your toast in a bag you numpty.

tomtom

• forum hero
#46 Re: Give me a training regime
January 22, 2016, 05:45:51 pm

Dense didn't mention he'd bought a robot
 :jab:

Is that what BirdBot (tm) is being used for nowadays?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#47 Re: Give me a training regime
January 23, 2016, 10:51:43 am
BTW Webbo I was serious about the rowing machine. I dunno how easy they are to hire out in the sticks of East Yorkshire but my brother hired one for a while when he was living in Cambridgeshire or some other similarly flat shithole, but I reckon it's worth looking into. Good overall exercise that works a lot of the body, I'm sure you could work out a good foot position for it, and good warming up climbing-relevant muscles before your 3 hour long deadhanging sessions.

TheTwig

• stalker
#48 Re: Give me a training regime
January 23, 2016, 03:52:04 pm
I look after a kid that was on fragmin injections for ages because of a risk of bloodclots. Having to jab him with that bloody little needle all the time was grim  :no:

Scouse D

• forum hero
#49 Re: Give me a training regime
January 23, 2016, 07:40:45 pm
Can you weight your inured leg if not I need video evidence.
No. Totally non weight bearing. Will post evidence tmw if I remember

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal