UKBouldering.com

Give me a training regime (Read 16059 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 04:47:19 pm
As I now have cast on my left leg and have been signed off work for 8 weeks. I need to try and avoid becoming an even fatter bastard than ever. I have access to free weights and a beastmaker 2000. I also have a bike on a turbo trainer and a 40% board but I can't see how I could use those.
Standing is a bit difficult as my toes are set pointing down and I'm also on Fragmin injections to try and prevent DVTs due sitting resting my leg.
Or should I just give in and sit and watch the indoor bowls whilst drinking beer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 07:37:33 pm
Can you lower the BM so you can do deadhangs/lifts from a chair?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 08:02:40 pm
That sucks. best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Denbob99

• addict
#3 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 08:23:04 pm
Just don't walk, let your legs atrophy and then reap the sweet campusing gains when you're healthy.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 08:43:34 pm
I can use the Beastmaker but I feel I will need to a bit more than 3 sessions a week on that.

groovedog

• addict
#5 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 08:54:50 pm
could you adapt some kind of rowing machine. Sit over it in a static chair rather than using the legs. Would keep the CV up a bit

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 09:02:32 pm
I'm not sure I've got the means to make a rowing machine.

Muesli

• addict
#7 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 09:16:08 pm
How about 8 weeks of core work whilst you have the cast on. Shed loads of ab ripper type stuff and come out at the other end with a core of steel.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 09:19:25 pm
How about 8 weeks of core work whilst you have the cast on. Shed loads of ab ripper type stuff and come out at the other end with a core of steel.
What do you recommend.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 09:58:31 pm
Get a sky sports subscription and put bargain booze on speed dial :)

More seriously, get a sky spor... Ok, can you get a lift to a gym every now and then? Surely there are a few weights excercises you can do from either sitting or lying? Inventing/figuring out what you can do might even add a bit of interest for a few weeks?

Muesli

• addict
#10 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 10:05:19 pm
Depending on how big your cast is most of the ab ripper type exercises may be possible
see

http://eatcleanmakechanges.tumblr.com/Ripper

for examples....... there are probably better demonstrations on you tube etc.

Also if you can manage with the cast then side plank type variations and Russian twists would be worthwhile.

If you can get hold of a swiss ball there are plenty of core exercises and good stretches that can be done.

Good luck

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#11 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 10:11:32 pm
get a set of those ankle weights and wrap them round your tins of beer

win win

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#12 Re: Give me a training regime
January 20, 2016, 11:03:33 pm
Load up some internet pr0n and get to work. Remember to train both arms symmetrically.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 12:54:12 pm
It this a confirmed TA rupture webbo? That was my first thought when you described it in NNFN. I've seem a few. Recovery is slow, outcome can be good but requires months of hard work, in particular getting the calf muscles to function well again is a long process.

You probably know this but there is no avoiding getting fat or not is largely about what you eat and drink, the more so now you can't get on your bike.

Good time to get a strong back, shoulders and arms. Bodyweight - the usual pull-ups, dips, and so forth. Free weights - bicep curls, military press, lying row, flys - not very specific but building a base and helpful for long-term shoulder and elbow health, especially useful if you also ramp-up the finger-boarding.

Strengthen your posterior chain with (single-leg) bridging and supermen. The abdominals stuff suggested about might also help, though I don't sense you spend much time crawling up routes/problems on knee-bars.

LisaA/LLAlhadeff's blog is good on both the practicalities and mental battles.

petejh

• forum hero
#14 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 01:43:34 pm
I can use the Beastmaker but I feel I will need to a bit more than 3 sessions a week on that.

How about 4 then.

8 weeks is f-all and easily wasted. 8 weeks of 4 x BM sessions, with you getting a progressively heavier training belt from bowls, snooker, 6 nations, football all accompanied by beer and crisps. You could have fingers of steel. Once the weight is shed post cast-off you'll be set for future crushage. Hmm.. :-\

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 03:18:33 pm

How about 4 then.

8 weeks is f-all and easily wasted. 8 weeks of 4 x BM sessions, with you getting a progressively heavier training belt from bowls, snooker, 6 nations, football all accompanied by beer and crisps. You could have fingers of steel. Once the weight is shed post cast-off you'll be set for future crushage. Hmm.. :-\

It sounds like you are pretty sold on your own idea here  :goodidea:

webbo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 04:26:19 pm
I did some weights this morning any standing exercises are difficult due to cast is set so my toes point down. I managed lateral raises and shrugs with Dumbbells. I can't balance enough to do standing curls and doing bent over dumbbell rows was putting a bit of strain on my leg. However crawling round and dragging weights to the bar was hard work and seemed to get more of a beating than usual.
Dead hanging was ok although the temptation was not rest for very long as it felt a pain to get back on the crutches to hobble over to sit down after every rep.
I did notice my shoulders felt weaker than usual possibly due using the crutches.

webbo

• forum hero
#17 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 04:34:45 pm
It this a confirmed TA rupture webbo? That was my first thought when you described it in NNFN. I've seem a few. Recovery is slow, outcome can be good but requires months of hard work, in particular getting the calf muscles to function well again is a long process.

You probably know this but there is no avoiding getting fat or not is largely about what you eat and drink, the more so now you can't get on your bike.

Good time to get a strong back, shoulders and arms. Bodyweight - the usual pull-ups, dips, and so forth. Free weights - bicep curls, military press, lying row, flys - not very specific but building a base and helpful for long-term shoulder and elbow health, especially useful if you also ramp-up the finger-boarding.

Strengthen your posterior chain with (single-leg) bridging and supermen. The abdominals stuff suggested about might also help, though I don't sense you spend much time crawling up routes/problems on knee-bars.

LisaA/LLAlhadeff's blog is good on both the practicalities and mental battles.
I haven't had a scan but the doc at the fracture clinic was of the opinion that enough of it had gone to class it as a total rupture. However he did contradict himself saying that they only operate on folk who are pretty active, when I said that would be me then. He said there was no need to operate. So I've got myself a private appt with an Orthopaedic surgeon next week for a second opinion.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 04:36:52 pm
Keep the replies coming as day 2 of day time television is becoming wearing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 04:37:46 pm
Keep the replies coming as day 2 of day time television is becoming wearing.

Where were the locations in Homes under the hammer today?

webbo

• forum hero
#20 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 07:05:45 pm
I'm afraid I didn't catch it. I did 3 episodes of David Starkeys Monarchy then the indoor bowls during which I went on an expedition to the log store. Carrying logs in a shopping bag hanging of your crutch is not an ideal mode of transporting goods.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 07:20:42 pm
How about adding a pull up bar and a cheap set of gymnastic rings to your kit?  Infinite upper body possibilities would them abound - e.g. L sit dips on rings, hammer your core and shoulders, front lever progressions, etc.

nbonnett

#22 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 09:30:44 pm
I'd recommend an 8 week diet of beer , but in this phase of recovery limit the food intake as it doesn't seem to mix well with some beers.

Do this as a pre conditioning phase after 8 weeks then go for a beer and pie combo. Its worked in the past and theres no reason why it wouldn't work again.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 09:40:48 pm
maybe do some much needed research into matching cheeses to British beers

maybe keep a video diary of the process and your thoughts/conclusions

nbonnett

#24 Re: Give me a training regime
January 21, 2016, 09:50:43 pm
Matching cheeses to beers would be a superb project. Inspirational .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal