UKBouldering.com

Problem solver (Read 13363 times)

fran

• regular
Problem solver
January 06, 2016, 01:53:18 pm
Any got or heard of problem solver. They do fingerboard. Swedish company look awesome.
I'm looking at one for training whe,n on holiday or in work I like the thought you can change the depth of the holds with the bit of plastic also it hangs anywhere you can plus comes in a bag.

http://www.problemsolver.rocks/

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Problem solver
January 06, 2016, 01:58:43 pm
Any got or heard of problem solver. They do fingerboard. Swedish company look awesome.
I'm looking at one for training whe,n on holiday or in work I like the thought you can change the depth of the holds with the bit of plastic also it hangs anywhere you can plus comes in a bag.

Looks like its got some neat features (like padding out the holds - saves having to use tissues :) ) - though thanks to Santa I received one of these over Xmas..

http://crusherholds.co.uk/crusher-mission-portable-hangboard-fingerboard

I've yet to use it on my travels (had a brief hang on it at home) but I like it so far..

tk421a

• addict

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Problem solver
January 06, 2016, 06:42:36 pm

No fuzz, juzt zimple dezign.

Are they made in Zomerzet?

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Problem solver
January 06, 2016, 07:39:12 pm
I used to make boards a bit like this, but gave up on ply because the layers wear unevenly, so they ended up pretty uncomfortable after heavy use.

Hopefully they have solved this issue.

I changed to a simple 1foot square ply backboard with three varying sizes of rung (which went down to about 12mm) attached with mini (m6) countersunk bolts (tnuts on the back of the ply), the rungs dual profile so they could be turned upside down (I even provided a mini Allen key). The boards hung directly from a chin up bar by hooking over it from anything else using an offcut of rope or webbing.

Haven't made boards in years though. Kinda miss it

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Problem solver
January 06, 2016, 10:35:40 pm
I haven't read any of the preceding stuff about boards except for Rodma saying ply wears unevenly, this is very true and anyone thinking a ply fingerboard will be good simply needs to reassess. Ply is only good for a surface on which to put any other type of hold.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Problem solver
January 07, 2016, 12:31:50 pm
Also check out Patxi Usobiaga's portable board
http://patxiusobiaga.com/il-domani-hangboard/
http://pucseries.com/en/product/ildomani-puc-series-board/

They look like they should be put on the fire! I don't know why anyone would buy one of those over a Beastmaker/Crusher offering?

Edit: Do BM actually sell portable boards online or are they just personal boards I've seen out and about?

Dense and Rodma are right, ply isn't good for holds unless you like them ribbed for your displeasure!

tk421a

• addict
#7 Re: Problem solver
January 07, 2016, 03:20:55 pm
I actually thought the puc one looked better than the crusher one.
It looks more compact
Has just rails rather than slots which I prefer - lets you adjust arm spacing more easily.
Big / small rail.
I'm not such a fan of the pockets, admittedly I haven't tried these new ergonomic ones.
I've got a crusher fingerboard mount, megarail and 2x of the small portable ones.
And it looks like the rail is solid rather than ply

To each their own.

Don't think BM do portable ones, probably someone just drilled holes to hang them.

dave

#8 Re: Problem solver
January 07, 2016, 03:50:09 pm
I haven't read any of the preceding stuff about boards except for Rodma saying ply wears unevenly, this is very true and anyone thinking a ply fingerboard will be good simply needs to reassess. Ply is only good for a surface on which to put any other type of hold.

There's the other reason that ply is fucking uncomfortable to hang on. Its got literally no advantages over normal wood except I can imagine cost and possibly dimensional stability.

For this very reason I am amazed than Moon are doing a set of campus rungs made from plywood. The world has actually gone mad.

http://www.moonclimbing.com/gear/training-equipment/campus-rungs-single-23.html

Stefan Pettersson

#9 Re: Problem solver
January 07, 2016, 11:05:51 pm
Hi folks. My name is Stefan and I am the person behind the problemsolver hang board.

The material I use for the boards is exterior beech plywood, which is much more durable than normal ply.
When I have made the routining the holds are a bit textured. After the routing I do a lot of sanding to get them as smooth as a solid piece of wood feels like.
The reason for choosing ply instead of solid wood is that you can make them really thin and light, and also get dimensional stability. If you make a hangboard from solid wood that thin, they might loose its shape or even crack.
We havenīt gotten this uncomfortable sensation that rodma talked about, after heavy use. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards/
Stefan

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 12:17:41 pm
Hello and welcome...

We havenīt gotten this uncomfortable sensation that rodma talked about, after heavy use. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Kind regards/
Stefan

...but you will get it, due to the different hardnesses of the layers forming the ply they wear at different rate. I'm sure whoever crafted the ply holds for the school (Stuperman, RIP) didn't imagine that in 10 years time they'd be like crimping on broken glass. Thankfully, it can be rectified with a bit of sandpaper relatively easily (after a long period).

I've definitely seen BM boards that aren't just 1000/2000 with the monos drilled through. They don't look to be commercially available though.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#11 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 12:41:30 pm
If I was still working offshore I'd have one of those offerings - got to be better than a grotty pair of rock rings.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#12 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 01:51:03 pm
He's ok that Santa chap eh  ;) I would be interested to know how you get on with the mission tomtom all feedback is appreciated. Paul

Looks like its got some neat features (like padding out the holds - saves having to use tissues :) ) - though thanks to Santa I received one of these over Xmas..

http://crusherholds.co.uk/crusher-mission-portable-hangboard-fingerboard

I've yet to use it on my travels (had a brief hang on it at home) but I like it so far..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#13 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 01:57:27 pm
Hello and welcome...

Kind regards/
Stefan

...but you will get it, due to the different hardnesses of the layers forming the ply they wear at different rate. I'm sure whoever crafted the ply holds for the school (Stuperman, RIP) didn't imagine that in 10 years time they'd be like crimping on broken glass. Thankfully, it can be rectified with a bit of sandpaper relatively easily (after a long period).

I've definitely seen BM boards that aren't just 1000/2000 with the monos drilled through. They don't look to be commercially available though.
PaulB and...

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 06:32:54 pm
He's ok that Santa chap eh  ;) I would be interested to know how you get on with the mission tomtom all feedback is appreciated. Paul

Will do... though I treated myself to a 3 month pass to the new Depot, so its got some stiff competition at the moment! I travel with work quite a bit so it'll be in the suitcase soon. Really I need a couple of skyhooks so I can mount it from the various edges/ac units in Hotel rooms :D

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#15 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 06:38:57 pm

Will do... though I treated myself to a 3 month pass to the new Depot, so its got some stiff competition at the moment! I travel with work quite a bit so it'll be in the suitcase soon. Really I need a couple of skyhooks so I can mount it from the various edges/ac units in Hotel rooms :D

if it needs a testrun I've got a suitcase it can fit in week after next ;-)

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 07:09:37 pm

if it needs a testrun I've got a suitcase it can fit in week after next ;-)

You're welcome to borrow it. I've a 3 day trip to Reading next week it may go on - but if I meet up with you before you go away remind me. Its a really nice size - big enough to be useful, small enough to fit into a bag and not weigh too much...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 08:12:50 pm
Are you talking about a woman's purse?

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 08:19:55 pm

Are you talking about a woman's purse?

No. A fingerboard.

Mumra

#19 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 08:30:58 pm
Tampon?

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 08:47:42 pm

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 09:09:37 pm
A purse to carry your tampons in?

Mumra

#22 Re: Problem solver
January 08, 2016, 09:14:17 pm

pat69

#23 Re: Problem solver
January 13, 2016, 09:21:56 pm
I have a Problem Solver Hanzo board in Sheffield if anyone would like to try it out or see one in the wood! I received it a few days ago and my initial thoughts are its a great light weight portable board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal