UKBouldering.com

Campus board - (half) crimp it, drag it, or both? (Read 5614 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
For those that campus - do you drag it, half crimp it or both?

My drag is much stronger than my half crimp so I'd prefer to drag but i wonder if I'd be missing out.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
What's half crimp?  :worms:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I'd say to only half crimp for one main reason: campusing is already quite dangerous, there's no need to add any danger to it with dragging.
By dragging we tend to simply rely on the catch of the fingers on the edge, and because of the position of the fingers, tendons work and pulley engagement we can easily overdo it, pulling too hard with big muscles on an already stressed and stretched tendon.

a dense loner

• forum hero
So 2 replies 2 different answers on a question with only 2 possible answers. I fuckin lv it

a dense loner

• forum hero
Ok neither

rodma

• forum hero
Train everything you are likely to use.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
when campusing for strength endurance I drag as I'm highly unlikely to use the crimp or half crimp on more than one or two moves on a route. For PFD and strength I try to do both

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Thanks guys this is super helpful.

The reason I ask is that I recently came upon the idea of "impacts" from a training beta podcast with will anglin. It seems like minimizing the "impacts" -- basically the volume, is a good way to approach campusing without getting injured, so I'm trying to think of how to most effectively train my limited volume on the campus board. I think he mentioned 30 something as a good number of impacts for a beginner to campusing.

Rodma and habrich made especially good points, so I'll probably train both. I love draggin' but the routes I'm eyeing these days have crimps I have to move hard off so i might as well face up to my crimp weakness sooner than later.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
I wouldn't train dragging by campusing even for a million Euros.

lukas_s

I think it is important to first specify what is a drag and half crimp. I always think of a drag just using front 3 and beeing completly open on all fingers (except middle on small edges). I agree with Nibile that campussing like this puts a lot of stress on your finger, due to the reduced amount of fingers. The grip labelled drag in the picture of the first post is not possible for me (and most people i know) on a campusrung (except on a huge one).
So when i campus i usually use all four finger, but as open as possible. This is what i would call a half crimp. Depending on the size of the edge the index finger is straight/or a bit bent, middle two are 90° bent and the little finger is straight, similar to the picture in the first post.  I would regard this as the savest grip to use.

cheers
Lukas
p.s. sorry for my bad englisch

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Doe anyone else just have a "natural" position on a campus rung?

My hand naturally does a bit of a "chisel" i.e. index finger 120* flexion, middle and ring = 90/100* and pinky 170/straight.

rodma

• forum hero

My hand naturally does a bit of a "chisel" i.e. index finger 120* flexion, middle and ring = 90/100* and pinky 170/straight.

what you have described, is what i call dragging and is the easiest (for me)

half-crimping for me is like crimping, only without my cheaty thumb, and maybe a slightly lower angle on the fingers by about 10degrees or so

Chiselling for me is like crimping, only without the thumb and at a slightly steeper angle than when crimping

Three Nine

• forum hero
I wouldn't train dragging by campusing even for a million Euros.

I have done a small amount of campussing on 3 finger open and it never seemed especially tweaky to me.

Personally (and fingers crossed), ive never had any finger gyp from campussing. Only elbow troubles.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
I think it varies massively depending on what kind of hands you have.

I can campus happily on 2 or 3 finger drag (pretty much as strong on 3 fingers as 4) but half crimped causes scary sounds in my finger joints. Campussing has never affected my elbows but wrecks my shoulders instead.

Therefore, instead of asking for advice on the internet, you should do lots of campus boarding, Bachar laddering, weighted pullups, deadlifts, board climbing and fingerboarding, for several years (preferably while listening to Eye Of The Tiger on a constant loop),  then make a list of all the bits of you that don't work anymore. Then you'll know.

There is also a 0.01% chance that you'll be uninjured and a total beast, but don't worry - if that happens I will hunt you down and make you suffer because my shoulder hurts.

Anyway what I'm trying to get at is that you I don't think you can really answer that question for someone else.

ducko

• junky
Drag when campusing, work your half crimp staticly on an edge or fingerboard

rodma

• forum hero
Drag when campusing, work your half crimp staticly on an edge or fingerboard

why?

if you're more than strong enough, there's relatively little risk in controlled dynamic loading

T_B

• forum hero

Yes, I can't imagine doing anything else if I'm campussing at my limit with all four fingers on. This thread is weird!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
When replying, I was mainly referring to proper campusing, that is going for max distance, or double dynos, or plyometrics. Or all the above together.
Laddering could be safer on three fingers dragged, but that ain't no campusing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal