UKBouldering.com

Where to take newbies boulderising from S.Manchester (Read 4363 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Hello,
I've the sister in law and her partner coming up to Manc this weekend from The big smoke. They climb - but have only ever climbed (bouldered) indoors. So I've been tasked with taking them out on Sat on some real rock. I'm a bit stuck where to go as we need:

1. A decent spot - somewhere pretty - it's their firs time and I don't want to take them to a dank quarry.
2. Not too far - and not a massive walk in (it's going to be Baltic)
3. Not too far from a decent hostelry/cafe (MrsTT doesn't climb so may want to shelter somewhere and read the paper).
4. It's going to be cold - with a northerly wind - but ok in the sun - so somewhere with some shelter..

There are the usual suspects (Burbage South) but getting to the honey spots of the Peak on Sat will take an hour and a half I suspect. I wondered about Widdop.. Or the Roaches (not really climbed there though)? Possibly Helsby (though exposed and N facing).

Any ideas or places I've missed - I'd like to take them to some grit really - and neither of them climb hard..

JamieG

• forum hero
Hi tomtom,

Roaches is a good place, although it will take awhile to get there too. It is pretty and there are a lot of easier problem for newbies to have a go at. There is a cafe nearby and pubs where you can leave the Mrs. But it may be pretty busy at the crag too. Short walk in though. Can catch the wind, but so can anywhere.

Burbage South is always a good bet.

Wimberry is an option as it is closer, although the number of easy lines are much reduced. It may be a touch green. More of a walk-in and not really so many places for the Mrs. It is pretty though and will be much quieter.

To be fair, when i've taken new people I always go for Burbage S or the Roaches.

JamieG

• forum hero
Actually Widdop is a good bet too. There is a nice pub on the road in to leave the Mrs at. Lots of nice easy problems. About an hour drive from Manchester. Will be quieter.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Roaches Roaches Roaches. Three great options right there.

Widdop or Wimberry will be grim. Burbage S is further and not great. And you have a lifetime of overlooking the best crag in Britain to rectify.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I bet you can guess where I will suggest ...

holmfirth cliff. The far end from the good crimpy wall has lost of easy ways to the top not too high easy to get back down.
The easy slab has 3/4 problems on it up to 4 ish (topo http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/holmfirth_edge)
Sun from around 1pm

Escape - <5 mins back to the car then 2 mins drive to centre of holmfirth. Last of the summer wine themed stuff. (Nora battys steps are litteral in the centre of the village).
Nook brewhouse has good beer.
The old bailey next door to the picturedrome does good food and decent beer.
plenty of cafes

Compo's cafe on the way to chew does excellent fish and chips.
Also the little chippy in the centre of holmfirth is great too.
Compo's better to eat in of the two.

webbo

• forum hero
Cratcliffe/ Robin Hoods Stride.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks for the suggestions all... depending on how much time we get I think I'll suggest Roaches, with Wimberry second if we're time pressed. Added to which I don't think I've climbed at the Roaches (not for 20 years anyway).. so lots for me to look at too! C3P0 any good?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Another vote for the Roaches: very scenic and Upper Tier has good easyish stuff. It's where I used to go in the evening when I worked in Handforth.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
the Roaches (not really climbed there though)

What? Sinner! The finest grit in derbyshire. Ditch the in-laws and get yerself there toot sweet.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
the Roaches

in derbyshire.

So hard to tell when people are joking on forums.

You were joking, right?

fried

• forum hero
Fuck me, I only climb in the UK every other year and I always climb at the roaches. The pub 'ye olde rock inn' does a decent pint and plate of chips. It might be worth taking a rubber dingy if you fancy a go at C3P0!

tomtom

• forum hero
The pub 'ye olde rock inn' does a decent pint and plate of chips.

Cool, I'll ring ahead and get them to order in some foccacia and hummus for my fancy city guests...

JamieG

• forum hero
Thanks for the suggestions all... depending on how much time we get I think I'll suggest Roaches, with Wimberry second if we're time pressed. Added to which I don't think I've climbed at the Roaches (not for 20 years anyway).. so lots for me to look at too! C3P0 any good?

C3PO is hard and very condition dependent, i've never made it to the top, but i've always enjoyed trying it. Bring your stickiest shoes. EDIT Just remembered tt will be soaking wet underneath it i would think!!! Called the spring boulders for a reason. :-)

I think Roaches might be the prettiest crag on the list and maybe in the whole peak. I've taken quite a few people there just for a nice walk, even if they aren't climbers.

tomtom

• forum hero
Cool. Thanks all. Recommendations for soft touch 7's within walking distance of nice beginners problems welcome :)

fried

• forum hero
The pub 'ye olde rock inn' does a decent pint and plate of chips.

Cool, I'll ring ahead and get them to order in some foccacia and hummus for my fancy city guests...

They've got cheesy chips...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
As has been said the Spring boulders might be off limits due to wet ground so the Lower Tier boulders are the place to go unless you want to slog up the steps at the risk of the wrath of Mrs TT. Three Pocket Slab, Stretch n Mantle and The Undercut Dyno are 3 corkers (at 6a, 6c & 7a) all on the same block nestled amongst a whole load of lower 3s & 4s round about.  The arete just right of Undercut dyno is also a very good warmup.

I was going to suggest Newstones as an alternative but now I've thought about it the soft rock after all this rain is probably best avoided, so don't go there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Unless temps drop sharply and the ground below the Spring boulders freezes over C3PO will be a no no. If your missus likes a short walk, then the Roaches skyline is great if it's not too windy. Agree Widdop will be frucking feezing.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Raven Tor.

Or The Roaches.

tomtom

• forum hero

Very pretty today up at the Roaches. The newbie found it tough - and there was t too much that was snow free and dry... We ended up on the upper tier and only managed a few problems... Joe's arete is great isn't it :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone - day rounded off by cheesy chips and chips with cheese at the Rock.

tomtom

• forum hero
Ps - don't think it'll be much better Connies wise tomorrow - temps were below zero in the shade all day (snowy clagnuts sticking to the mat) and it was pretty wet underfoot in many places. Temps plunged as the sun dropped -3 at Cat Fiddle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal