UKBouldering.com

Max hangs, how much weight to add? (Read 9083 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#25 Re: Max hangs, how much weight to add?
November 12, 2015, 01:52:18 pm
Ducko, do you do this a part of a bigger session or in isolation, it doesn't seem like much, even after an extensive warm up?

My issue is that I'm only getting max 1 session a week at the wall (life doesn't half get in the way sometimes) so am trying to fit in some more fingerboard sessions. Two of your sessions, a wall session and maybe an outside mission for a morning doesn't sound that much if the fingerboarding only actually equates to 6 hangs of 7 seconds!

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Max hangs, how much weight to add?
November 12, 2015, 02:08:33 pm
Right I am thinking I need to add weight to my dead hangs.  I tend to aim for 8-10 secs for max hangs and when I can do that make it harder.  Just wondering peoples' opinion on the best strategy to add weight.  Should I:

a) Add weight gradually from no weight to adding 2kgs every 3 sessions or so, or...
b) Dive straight in and find a max weight where I can only hold on for a 2-4 seconds and use that until I can hang for 8-10 seconds before adding more weight.   

Shouldn't you actually be concentrating on sorting out your whack shoulder girdle and elbow issues, not adding more weight to your deadhangs?

ducko

• junky
#27 Re: Max hangs, how much weight to add?
November 12, 2015, 02:22:07 pm
Ducko, do you do this a part of a bigger session or in isolation, it doesn't seem like much, even after an extensive warm up?

My issue is that I'm only getting max 1 session a week at the wall (life doesn't half get in the way sometimes) so am trying to fit in some more fingerboard sessions. Two of your sessions, a wall session and maybe an outside mission for a morning doesn't sound that much if the fingerboarding only actually equates to 6 hangs of 7 seconds!

It doesn't sound much but it's enough, your fingers need recovery time.
Generally Id warm up easy, do a few normal hangs varying holds Strech a bit maybe do some easy campusing then do the hangs.
After that carry on with your session.
The secret is to get stronger but not injured and fingers are fragile

Three Nine

• forum hero
#28 Re: Max hangs, how much weight to add?
November 12, 2015, 05:41:51 pm
Right I am thinking I need to add weight to my dead hangs.  I tend to aim for 8-10 secs for max hangs and when I can do that make it harder.  Just wondering peoples' opinion on the best strategy to add weight.  Should I:

a) Add weight gradually from no weight to adding 2kgs every 3 sessions or so, or...
b) Dive straight in and find a max weight where I can only hold on for a 2-4 seconds and use that until I can hang for 8-10 seconds before adding more weight.   

Shouldn't you actually be concentrating on sorting out your whack shoulder girdle and elbow issues, not adding more weight to your deadhangs?

This is def an important factor. If you've gay elbows then its better to do smaller hold/less weight than bigger hold with more weight, as you want max finger workout with the least impact on ur elbows possible IMHO.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal