UKBouldering.com

Lower Back Tweak (Read 7651 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 02:47:02 pm
Dear all. I tweaked my lower back. Saw a good physio, and they said that they were confident I hadn't done anything to a disc or majorly torn a big muscle, but pissed off a nerve or something.

Symptoms are bastard sore and well tight, doesnt like sitting down much.

Anyone got any magic beta on this? Physio is £60 a pop here in Oxford so that's it for this month.

Is most sore if I bend my back forward (letting my back curve up).

I did it climbing, not lifting with bad form or anything.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac

Three Nine

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 02:53:57 pm
that's the shit i wanna hear!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 02:57:20 pm
I tweak my back on a regular basis, usually 4 or so times a year. I can feel it getting tight and know it's coming and try and do some stretching and stuff to ease it, but it will just go doing something random like picking up a toothbrush, or opening the car door. It's uncomforatble for a few days, but I try and just ignore it and carry on so that I'm not tensing up and getting the muscles around it tightening and getting worse. Then I have a hard steep bouldering session and it seems to clear it up. got one between my shoulderblades at the moment, looking forward to working it out tonight!

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:01:48 pm
I had my lower back sort of seize on me about a year ago, when dropping off the wall. Nothing high or uncontrolled, just sent the muscle into spasm.
Went to the GP who just gave me a load of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Diazepam.
Spent a few days rolling around at home, then tried some light climbing a few days later and the following morning all was well again.

Probably bears no relation to your injury, just thought i'd give you an excuse to get off your face.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:04:54 pm
just more keen to know that its possible for it to be really fuckin painful without it being dire

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:17:22 pm
Suffered from bad backs and sciatica since my 20's. The only really successful treatment has been lots of Dorsal raises and back strengthening exercises. The stronger my back the less issues I have and if I neglect it I soon am reminded.
Lie on your back and pull your knees into your chest to loosen it up when the pain begins. Also, lie on your back, feet flat on floor, knees bent 90* and arms out to your side. Keeping both your shoulders on the ground and knees/ankles together (with the appropriate outside edge of foot on the ground) rotate at the waist to bring your knees to one side; trying to get them as close to the ground as you can. Then do it the other way.
But, ultimately, strength is your friend.

One Physio I used to frequent was absolutely convinced that my problems (and those of others) had nothing to do with prolapsed discs, citing the the prevalence of similar prolapse in asymtomatic people and that it was predominantly caused by "muscle spasm" impinging on nerves in a self perpetuating cycle.

His exercises always provided relief and it was his suggestion of strengthening my back which produced tangible results, despite previously having four Epidurals and a long list of Consultants over the decade prior.
Edit:

I do Dorsal raises with ankle weights and a 10 kg disc across my shoulders and a LOT of core work in general, because back pain sucks big dogs bollocks. Deadlifts too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three Nine

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:24:59 pm
Brill, thanks!

Yes it does suck. Ive never felt so close to crying with something actually hurting physically!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:28:47 pm
Just don't get a papercut then.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#9 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:37:26 pm
Suffered from bad backs and sciatica since my 20's. The only really successful treatment has been lots of Dorsal raises Also, lie on your back, feet flat on floor, knees bent 90* and arms out to your side. Keeping both your shoulders on the ground and knees/ankles together (with the appropriate outside edge of foot on the ground) rotate at the waist to bring your knees to one side; trying to get them as close to the ground as you can. Then do it the other way.

I slipped on the floor once and couldn't get back up afterwards. I thought I had just paralyzed myself.

Slowly with help I was able to get up and continue the day with a very stiff lower back. My grandad told me I had most likely just clouted a muscle pretty hard. He told me to do as Matt said above and the following:

Lie flat on your back with arms by your side comfortably. Then push the lower back so it touches the floor. Don't move any part of your body, just use the lower back muscle. Hold it against the floor for 10 - 15 seconds and release. Keep doing it until you're bored.

Gramps isn't a physio, but did a lot of swimming and gymnastics in his younger days. A couple weeks later and I was back to normal.

Hope you are too!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 03:56:39 pm
just more keen to know that its possible for it to be really fuckin painful without it being dire

Back problems are frequently really fuckin painful, almost always without there being anything dangerous going on. Frustratingly, there is usually nothing to show either. A nice clear wrist fracture on an x-ray makes a similar amount of pain somehow much more bearable!

Information aimed at GPs on what to do about back problems. I wrote this a while ago but it's mostly still current.

Signs of serious conditions that can cause back pain are described here. These other conditions are unusual and such signs are frequently 'false positives' but see your GP if in any doubt.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 04:26:31 pm
I'd be wary of the stretching whilst it's still hurting. Try icing/cold pack the areas affected 4-5 times a day for 10 min a time. This really helped for me. When the pain had gone and just stiffness I worked on the stretches.

Normally there is something that leads to the bad back - bad posture, how you sit of desk based - and getting all these sorted can really help it get better and not happen again.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#12 Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 04:30:24 pm
That's useful Duncan, ta!

I initially went "Over the falls" and drilled into 4' deep water and a reef with straight legs on a 2' overhead day. The coral cuts and concussion seemed worse at the time but there was a lingering pain in the back of my knee (so I thought I'd damaged that). About two months and increasing discomfort later, on a small sailing yacht in rough seas off Gurnsey, it just gave out.
Agony doesn't cover it and in a world that wouldn't stay still, I was completely screwed.

I completely lost all sensation in my left leg. Full paralysis, no reflex, nothing and was initially told it would be permanent. How ever a great (private) Physio (and horse Physio) sent me down to Duchy hospital (privately as NHS refused treatment) for an Epidural and I was walking again within two weeks of getting off the yacht and 24 hrs of the Epidural.
It proved temporary, but never relapsed to the same degree.
That was '97 and I met the Physio with the solution in Dubai '02 and essentially haven't had serious issues since.
If I start to feel it "coming on", I know to get back to the grind stone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#13 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 04:53:58 pm

Lie flat on your back with arms by your side comfortably. Then push the lower back so it touches the floor. Don't move any part of your body, just use the lower back muscle. Hold it against the floor for 10 - 15 seconds and release. Keep doing it until you're bored.

This was the one my physio wanted me to do most frequently when I last put mine out.  I was supposed to have a cushion under my arse as well.  Also recommended slightly bending your knees when you stand to relieve the tension in the back which helped loads more than you could ever imagine.

Try to do these a few times a week since my last episode, always feels better afterwards if it has been feeling tweaky:

http://simpleorganiclife.org/7-stretches/

Complete nightmare if you a sufferer, slightest little thing can set it off:

had meant to do a bouldering session but pulled my back picking a hat up off the floor.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 05:59:17 pm
2' overhead day

You must be shorter than you look ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#15 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 06:13:56 pm
8-10' that day. Hikkaduwa (before tsunami)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 07:13:09 pm
I find one of the best exercises/stretches is simply arching your back over a fitness ball. Sitting is the worst thing for my back.

dave

#17 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 08:10:08 pm
If its a muscular type thing not spinal then see if you can get your missus or male lover to go over your back and feel for any muscles which are tight as fuck and then give them a good hammering. If they find somewhere that feels tight, usually a single point which is like an agonising epicentre then that's the right place. It should hurt to fuck but kinda in a good way. It should bring tears to the eyes (your eyes not theirs). Alternatively if you are single or your other half isn't packing the level of beef to really nail the spot then trying lying on your back on a golfball, again you'll have to find that exact spot and rock back and forth on it. If its a tight muscle then it should help.

P.s. I am not medically qualified.

petejh

• forum hero
#18 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 09:09:09 pm
Quote from: 39
It's nothing serious you gaylord your muscles have just gone into spasm (which is incredibly uncomfortable, you have my sympathy). Back muscles can go into spasm when your body senses imminent possible damage to structures in the spine - a minor sprain of one of the facet joints is a common trigger but it could be numerous other structures. The muscles spasm to protect the spine before you can do anything serious. The spasm will go down of its own accord as long as you don't aggravate it - which is very hard to do because it's so painful to move any faster than a sloth. Once better, as OMM says spending time focusing on strengthening your whole kinetic chain is your best friend along with habitually practicing mobility exercises and attempting good posture in all you do. You'll either learn the hard way because you have to, or you won't. In the meantime try a heatpack and some whiskey.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#19 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 04, 2015, 09:35:15 pm
Cheers chaps! I feel very encouraged. I'll get Barrows to jab his prick into the folds of my back flab and all will hopefully be well. Plus my arsehole will appreciate the rest.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 05, 2015, 08:39:53 am
I'll get Barrows to jab his prick into the folds of my back flab and all will hopefully be well.

I'd be surprised if you felt anything at all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 05, 2015, 08:48:37 am
I'll get Barrows to jab his prick into the folds of my back flab and all will hopefully be well.

I'd be surprised if you felt anything at all.

I thought it was an acupuncture reference...

Scouse D

• forum hero
#22 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 10, 2015, 11:17:21 pm
I've had lower back issues for a few years  on and off including recurring sciatica. Strengthening does really work, but for me the best fix is this 15 minute routine from a fella called sean vigue
Works miracles for me, his other power yoga stuff is also boss

SA Chris

• forum hero
#23 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 10, 2015, 11:32:55 pm
At the risk of sounding like a yoga knob, isn't that just the usual Ashtanga Series A & B done wearing a cap?

petejh

• forum hero
#24 Re: Lower Back Tweak
November 11, 2015, 07:51:05 am
He's definitely not from Yorkshire is he.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal