UKBouldering.com

chin up bar and ting (Read 5039 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 04:29:08 pm
gonna sack mi gym membership off - after all i could be spending the £30 a month on getting out climbing.

Gonna set up a Rocky III style home training regime starting with one o them Argos expandable chin up bar tings.

As I don't think I'll be bench pressing trees / dragging logs through deep snow quite yet, can anyone recommend any good exercises I can be doing wid it?

Assuming that there is scope for attaching a board that won't mash up my ceiling too much as well - any tips?

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#1 Re: chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 05:57:56 pm
Quote from: "tommytwotone"

Gonna set up a Rocky III style home training regime starting with one o them Argos expandable chin up bar tings.

As I don't think I'll be bench pressing trees / dragging logs through deep snow quite yet, can anyone recommend any good exercises I can be doing wid it?

I purchased one of these last week, a bargain at £6.99 (though I'm sure you can get better ones if you spend a bit more...adjustable for height or rubberised grips or whatever).  It does do the job, however.  

The most pumpy thing I've found to do with it so far is screwing its wall bracket things  in with the one shit screwdriver that I own...after which I could barely do a single pull up.

It also says 'NOT TO BE USED WITH INVERSION BOOTS' in big letters on the box, but I wouldn't let that put you off :-)

Rhys

• menacing presence
#2 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 09:43:08 pm
I too am the proud owner of said Agos bar. It spends its time taunting me, untouched, from my bedroom door. (I even have to stoop to get in my room but I can't quite bring myself around to admitting I'll never use it and take it down :( )

It'll be different next year- I'll call myself Houdini (because I'll have locks cracked...)

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#3 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 09:44:42 pm
i bought two and set them up campus board style running up my stairs. eventually i want about 7 of them in a row just like a super steep campus board.

Rhys

• menacing presence
#4 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 09:50:27 pm
Been tempted by some Olymic style assymetric bar work? Seriously- what do you do (I had a similar idea with them vertical and quite widely spaced so I could do pull up's/ press downs at the same time?) :D

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#5 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 10:00:03 pm
Seriously- what do you do (I had a similar idea with them vertical and quite widely spaced so I could do pull up's/ press downs at the same time?)

was that directed at me?

Rhys

• menacing presence
#6 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 10:03:29 pm
Yeah- is it just campus work? Just wondering as it sounds like a good idea.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#7 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 10:08:17 pm
oh right sorry, yeah. basically i have a pull up bar then 1 and 1/2 feet above it a two runged home made finger then another pull up a bar 1 1/2 feet above that. they line up at about 40 degrees overhanging and eventually i want a row going all the way up the stairs. i campus and lock on them. the only thing is because i was drilling into brick i had to use larger screws then the ones provided and plugs.

dave

#8 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 10:10:02 pm
i got one of the argos bars which resides at me mum and dads crib.

my top tip for comfy pullups is wrap the bar up wid fingertape or otheryou'll get steel-burns where your hand flash twists around.

Q-ball has got a heath robinson fingerboard held off 2 of said pullupbars in his crib, it is held together with bootlaces and brown paper. :shock:

Rhys

• menacing presence
#9 chin up bar and ting
August 16, 2004, 10:10:14 pm
Cool, cheers man.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 chin up bar and ting
August 17, 2004, 01:24:35 am
I have also just purchased said bar from argos last week. I am mainly doing lock-offs on it (did my first proper one today for about 5 seconds  :clap:  as I couldn't lock off for toffee before

account_inactive

• forum hero
#11 chin up bar and ting
August 17, 2004, 01:44:15 am
Bo to Dave, finger tape on the bar is a must unless you have aready got you industrial supply of German Spunken finger stuff
 :saythat:

A mate of mine has got his finger board mounted on 2 of them.  He screwed the fingerboard into a bit of ply and then put brackets aroung the bars.  This means that he doesn't have to fuck up the walls of his house or have it over a door.  What he didn;'t manage to do was check to see if both walls were supporting walls :roll:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#12 chin up bar and ting
August 17, 2004, 01:04:40 pm
:lol: half wit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal