UKBouldering.com

I don't understand. Endurance training and grades (Read 3742 times)

markwellin

Alright,
I have something to think about and no one to listen to it. 
When training endurance, you climb for an extended period of time on easy stuff.
It seems to me that depending on where the climbing falls on your personal difficulty spectrum, the grade of the climbing movement will change.
Today I was training on the circuit board, as was another chap. I did my two or three goes around and then he jumped on.
He then proceeded to lap a 40 move 6b and a 40 move 6c+, one after another. For 45 minutes. Never touching the ground, or resting in a bridge etc. He didn't look like it taxed him especially, he can clearly climb a lot harder.
Besides being impressive to me (that's way above my endurance threshold) it got me thinking.
If I (someone who can onsight 7a on a good day) were to grade 6b>6c+>6b>6c+,  it would probably be around 7b or higher on the effort scale based on routes I've done.
But if the guy with the infinite forearms were to grade it, would it ever get above 6c+?
My thinking is that it's so far below his ability that the easier bit wouldn't affect his chances of completing the 6c+ bit.
If I reduce its own to my level, I could infinitely lap 6b>4>6b>4 etc and it would only ever be 6b to me because I was fully recovering on the easy ground. However to a 6b climber it would feel maybe 7a after a couple of goes round.
So who is correct?
Does this relate to real world grading? People grading stuff way below their threshold will get it wrong for everyone else, but right for themselves and people looking down (the grading scale)
Does any of this make sense?
obviously it's only training and the grades don't matter, it was just an intriguing  thought to me. Might be utter crap to y'all :shrug:

abarro81

• forum hero
Stamina climbs below your limit typically feel steady for the grade for exactly the reason you stated.
In general grades are simply given compared to other routes of s similar style in a similar location, thus there's no 'right'

ali k

• junky
Mark I bloody knew it was you - now I feel even more of a twat for not saying hi! The beard growth threw me off!

:sorry: for hogging the circuit board.

I'm sure Barrows will tell me I was training wrong but that was my attempt at capillarising and in particular replicating alternating easier and harder sections for long endurance onsights (for a trip to Kalymnos coming up in 3 weeks) and trying to get full recovery on the easier bits. I have no idea about grades and I have no idea if that's a good way to train but my arms hurt now!

markwellin

Haha no worries man. I wasn't sure it was you either! I always assume people remember the ginger.
It was very impressive and humbling to watch actually Ali. I've made some small progress with my stamina, but that was another level (and my competitive streak meant I tried that little bit harder!) how did your skin not hurt after that long on those jugs?!

It looked like perfect training for onsight climbing anyway. Hope you have a good trip!

ali k

• junky
My skin was agony (especially given it was 3rd consecutive day of training) but I've got a weekend of enforced non-climbing so had to make sure I pushed through the pain. Hoping it will all be worth it for the trip!

kelvin

• forum hero
I don't understand grades full stop but I'm in the Arięge, I've had a beer and I was spanked by the most ridiculous 6a today. My 8a climbing mate shouted 'I might be off here'. Pfft. Where's the other bottle of Desperado?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

a dense loner

• forum hero
Your mates drank it. He's fucked up in the corner :icon_beerchug:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The lesson is, never climb 6s in France. (Especially if the routes are polished to shine.)

kelvin

• forum hero
Correct on both counts :-( The beer bothers me more.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal