UKBouldering.com

Skin re-growth for the soft and sweaty gentleman?? (Read 7061 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Not the usual topic about cracked and rough skin and how to moisturise it.... More like the opposite. I have incredibly soft and sweaty skin. I never get splits or flappers (my skin just slides off rough holds like a lubricious seal off a basking rock), I almost never need to moisturise my tips. Very occasionally, in periods of prolonged sub-zero temperatures, with sporadic bouldering and heavy super-chalk usage alternated between anti-hydral dipping, I sometimes get what must be "normal" feeling skin. But it's rare.

So what would be ideal methods and snake oils to encourage skin regrowth and preferably skin toughening at the same time, rather than pure moisturising??

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Stump cream? It's basically just drying cream.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Which does help dry them out, but I don't think it helps regrowth??

tomtom

• forum hero
Sanding

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
They get that from sliding off holds...

tomtom

• forum hero
more sanding.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
On the principle that if I get to the bone then that won't be so sweaty??

haydn jones

• forum hero
Sounds like you have the same skin as me. I've just accepted that I can't  have good skin all the time, whilst its sweaty try climbing longer things with bigger holds. Hopfully after a few days the anti-hydral has taken effect and due to climbing on bigger holds you haven't  trashed your skin.

haydn jones

• forum hero
Also. Never sand your skin to try and toughen it up. It just takes the good layer off. The only time i sand is if i have uneven skin. I.e the very tip is cut to fuck from a razor blade and thin. Therfore you need to reaply the anti hydral. However the bottom of the tip is still thick. Make it even before reaplying the A-H. Then like i said above. Only climb on large holds for a few days

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Sounds like you have the same skin as me. I've just accepted that I can't have good skin all the time

Unlike the rest of us who have good skin all the time.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Cheers Hadyn. I'm a trad biffer so apparently I only ever climb on big holds ;)

haydn jones

• forum hero
Its hard to explain johnny  but my 'good' non anti hydraled skin will still be worse than most peoples 'bad skin'

Before i found out about anti hydral i remember several times going out on the grit with what i then considered perfect skin. It didnt even last the warm up before i was down to rawr pink sensitive skin.

haydn jones

• forum hero
Thankfully, with the discovery of antihydral, those days are gone. Now my skin is as good, if not better than most.

I just have to put up with on average, 1 week per month,
Where my skins totally trashed and trying to hold anything under 1 pad large would just slice my skin off

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
How often do you apply A-H Haydn?

haydn jones

• forum hero
I would say between once every week to 2 weeks. It depends on how quickly i go through my skin. If my current projects are skin friendly its gonna be closer to 2 weeks. If i apply it more than once a week i end up with horrible thick yellow skin that ends up spliting. I try to apply it to my skin whilst its not totally rawr.

tomtom

• forum hero
if I'm not climbing I apply AH every 2-3 days (to try and keep it fairly hard)... when climbing regularly no need.

webbo

• forum hero
if I'm not climbing I apply AH every 2-3 days (to try and keep it fairly hard)... when climbing regularly no need.
Given this thread refers to the soft sweaty gentleman, just what are you trying to keep fairly hard :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
Given this thread refers to the soft sweaty gentleman, just what are you trying to keep fairly hard :-\

My skin. I use small blue pills to maintain an erection :p

webbo

• forum hero
For a moment I thought you might be taking advantage of Fiends soft, sweaty smooth hands.

tomtom

• forum hero
For a moment I thought you might be taking advantage of Fiends soft, sweaty smooth hands.

His hands may be soft, but its the interminable drone of thrash metal in the background that kills the mood...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I will try more with the anti-hydral, however I'm not sure this is answering one part of my question, i.e. encouraging actual regrowth??

webbo

• forum hero
 I would imagine the rate of regrowth is related to,your personal genetic make up.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I'm not sure this is answering one part of my question, i.e. encouraging actual regrowth??

good diet, plenty of sleep

invoice in the post

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I would imagine the rate of regrowth is related to,your personal genetic make up.

As well as age, diet etc?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I dunno my skin has always been pure shite.

I'm sure in the normal moisturiser threads people were recommending stuff that promotes actual regrowth. I don't know the science of it though. I do put vitamin E oil or bio oil shizzle on sometimes, that feels a BIT better.

webbo

• forum hero
 Most creams and moisturisers just keep your skin hydrated which is supposed to help keep it healthy. I suspect axle grease or lard would work as well.

kelvin

• forum hero
When I had to have a skin graft, bio-oil was what all the med people said to use, so I did. Alleviated the itching for sure.
Put a nice gash in a tip two days ago, worked the same route today and it stayed together after two applications of that Elizabeth Arden stuff. Thank fuck I'm now on the trip and not using sandpaper at work every day.

Maybe webbo and lagers are onto something tho... cut the lard from the diet and use it on your tips.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
When I had to have a skin graft, bio-oil was what all the med people said to use, so I did.

Which ones?  Is there any SCIENCE behind this?

kelvin

• forum hero
When I had to have a skin graft, bio-oil was what all the med people said to use, so I did.

Which ones?  Is there any SCIENCE behind this?
I have no idea but that came from the surgeon, nurses and my own doc.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
When I had to have a skin graft, bio-oil was what all the med people said to use, so I did. Alleviated the itching for sure.
Cheers for that. When I have used bio-oil it seems to have "felt" better than moisturising creams, i.e. absorbs better, feels less greasy, makes my skin feel a bit more supple and less pure soft.

I actually once put anti-hydral on, then put a bit of bio-oil on top, before going to bed. This seemed to make my skin feel a bit more leathery, which was what I was after. Maybe unscientific but maybe the combination of drying moisture out of the skin and replacing it with oil?? Who the fuck knows.

TL, DR: will try more bio-oil when needed.

kelvin

• forum hero
Not tried anti-hydral, my work can dry the skin out horrendously due to plaster and filler.
Now I'm not working, the skin is thickening up anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal