UKBouldering.com

Three Peaks (the Yaarkshire ones) beta... (Read 7732 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Three Peaks (the Yaarkshire ones) beta...
October 05, 2015, 02:07:19 pm
I seem to have been pressganged into doing the three peaks this weekend with an old college friend. Logistics (where to sleep and how to get there) are sorted, but anyone here done this recently (or ages ago) and got any advice/tips?

Guide time is 12 hours - and we have 11 hours of daylight so should be OK ish (headtorches etc.)..
Its 23 miles, and most I've pottered is 10-15 this year so figuring it will be hard but not impossible - even the forecast looks reasonable..

Straightforward arduous plod or any hidden surprises?

Couple of pork pies and a jam butty or are we in energy bar/protein facial territory here?

(PS - I know this isn't UKhillwalking.org .. :p )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:17:42 pm by tomtom »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I saw the most impressive shooting star thing I've ever seen whilst descending Ingleborough in darkness at the end of the three peaks walk - a big firey thing that lasted for 3 seconds or so

that is all I have to say

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I ran it in 6 hours in bad conditions, so you'll be fine for time.

Starting at Horton in the norm, but no reason you can't start at Ribboehead (parking is free  ;) ).

It's mostly pretty straightforward. Pen y Ghent is pretty ok, you can either go up the south end, or the running route goes up to where you descend. It's often boggy on the Pennine Way after Pen y Ghent, but no issues with navigation. Whernside you can go the steep direct way (shorter distance wise) or loop round  past the viaduct (better path). Rocky descent to the road, then a bit of nav to find the good stepped path up to Ingleborough - try to avoid the temptation of ending up left of the wall. The descent from the top is longer than you expect, but easy.

It's all good fun, you'll be fine with some butties and pork scratchings.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Ask on UKC and get harangued for leaving litter at Wasdale Head :)
I biked it last week so you won't have the nuisance of an uncomfortable piece of luggage on all those big climbs. It'll be reet.

tomtom

• forum hero
Holy hotrocks Lagers!

Thanks for the advice steve & especially GCW. Might well start from Ribblehead leaving Penyghent last.. chance of a bite to eat in Horton before heading up then..

Are there places to get water on the way around? can't be arsed to schlep a large amount around with me.,..

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
More helpfully, I actually found the stretch from p-y-g to Ribblehead a bit of a ball-ache. At least in Horton there's beer at the finish?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
More helpfully, I actually found the stretch from p-y-g to Ribblehead a bit of a ball-ache. At least in Horton there's beer at the finish?

Yes, it's nice to get that out of the way. Personally, I disliked the descent to Horton rather than that section, but if you're doing it last it's quite possibly the worst bit!!  The Station Inn is at Ribblehead too (never drunk there but it seems to have OK reviews).

Water - there are some streams around, although I'd personally take a couple of litres of fluid instead.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Waterproof running/approach trainers rather than walking boots. The extra cushioning will be handy especially on the road section.

chris_j_s

• menacing presence

There have been a lot of improvements to the path on this section recently so not quite the ball ache it used to be!

Also worth noting that the direct (steep) route up Whernside via Low Bank is used by special arrangement on 3 peaks race day and is not actually a recognised right of way.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

There have been a lot of improvements to the path on this section recently so not quite the ball ache it used to be!

Still can be wet though!!

Also worth noting that the direct (steep) route up Whernside via Low Bank is used by special arrangement on 3 peaks race day and is not actually a recognised right of way.

Ah, that is interesting and I wasn't aware.  It's on the map as a footpath and I have to admit I went that way.  I'll avoid it in future.  To be honest, it's pretty brutal and not the nicest way to the top anyway.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
 There's no prescribed walking route and it's all access land out of the valleys, but the 'direct' whernside descent is paved and seems to be the way everyone goes. Likewise I think the pyg/ribblehead route involves crossing private land, but it's a motorway with gates and styles all the way. I imagine the only navigational issue could be finding the right path of the top of ingleborough if there's mist.

I did it loads (6 or 7) of times when I was a kid, for some reason. I've a vague memory of doing it in about five and a half hours with a bit of a jog, eight hours at a brisk walk with stops.

Anyway, reason for posting isn't (solely) to brag about my red sock prowess, just to say that recceing for the 3 peaks cyclocross (whernside on foot) a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed by the sheer numbers of people doing it - a constant stream of groups - most of 'em in t-shirts for various worthy charities, and all going in the same direction. It's clearly a popular item from a menu of charity 'challenges' and fair enough I guess. (The cyclocross race goes opposite direction to the way most people walk it.)

So lots of it is paved and it's probably best to do it in the same direction as everyone else (ie anticlockwise PyG, Ing, WS.) It's a good stretch of the legs. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:22:01 am by johnx2 »

chris_j_s

• menacing presence

Ah, that is interesting and I wasn't aware.  It's on the map as a footpath and I have to admit I went that way.  I'll avoid it in future.  To be honest, it's pretty brutal and not the nicest way to the top anyway.

It's not a big deal and mostly open access. The 3 peaks race website requests that people avoid it during training runs because I think there is just a short trespass before you get to the open access land.

I believe it once used to be the main route for walkers but was abandoned due to erosion.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Is that on one of the tracks? There was a stile and signpost onto the boggy bit before it gets steep.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
It's a big boring walk. That's all I can remember about it.

We did it carrying a miniature pool table and had a game on each summit. I won the tournament  :punk:

tomtom

• forum hero
It's a big boring walk. That's all I can remember about it.

We did it carrying a miniature pool table and had a game on each summit. I won the tournament  :punk:

Great. It'll be a good chance to catch up with an old friend and have an excuse to stuff my face with meat and chip based pub food the nights before and after.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Solo Red Pencil on the way?

tomtom

• forum hero
More likely to stop at Woodwell on the way back ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Solo Red Pencil on the way?

Didn't half of it fall down not long ago?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
OK, Red Pencil Stub?

Database says no?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=33105

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69595

Not sure how much came off or how reliable the item is.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Are you going to give us the report, TomTom?

tomtom

• forum hero
Well prodded GCW :) I wrote a small report in power club, but with a bit more detail:

Three Peaks day.
Got at 6:45 - and had a quick breakfast - the B&B we stayed in was nice enough to make a lunch for us and leave it out as we were starting early and missing the morning fry up:) We decided to start from Hill Inn - as I'd looked at the route/map and figured that I'd do the first two fine, but might be in trouble for the last - and this was a simple mile or two along the road to cut out Whernside if needed.. So we started at 7:45am.

It was superb weather - cool, clear, some light high cloud and only a little wind. We stormed up Inglebrough in about 45 min - quick selfie on the top and headed down to Horton. Half way down we overtook our first 'group' members - from an organised group of 110 (!!!) who started an hour before us - which became a target for the rest of the day! We were in the cafe at Horton for 10am where we stopped for about 25 min for a second breakfast (sausage and egg butty and a large coffee) :) Minor blister forming on toe due to double sock situation - compeed applied and additional sock removed. Witnessed a nice scene in the (quiet) cafe where a chap in his late 50's got the owner to dig out the book of three peak ascents/records (as apparently used to be recorded) and he found his signature from 40 odd years back when he did it - nice touch. 

Fuelled by lard, we dashed up Pen-y-gent in less than an hour - overtaking a few more of the party in front (despite our breakfast stop). Its scenic on the way down, but really its best described as a schlep - it takes forever.. Overtook about 40-50 of the 110 group on the way down (I can descend fast..) though one group of 10 in red T shirts did their best to keep ahead :) By this point we were both starting to ache, and feel a bit stretched, but no real problems. Neil had a cheeseburger from the dirty burger van near the viaduct - I had an ice cream. We also stopped at the pub to get some water and have a cheeky pint of lemonade (it was so nearly a proper pint!) probably stopped for about 20 min in general...  General hip and groin aches - nothing serious.

Long slog up Whernside.. takes about 1:40... The group in red kept us in check - like the 2CV loitering behind a Top Gear challenge... Near the top, a really cold wind picks up and my left knee (well bits below left knee) start to seize up.. Fine along the top, but became really really hard on the descent. Have to shuffle down steps - being unable to  weight left knee when dropping :( I move at the pace of the old people in front of us creeping down... finally make it to flat and can get a bit more of a move on. Time is ticking an we go for it with a final push to the Hill inn.

We finished in 8 Hours 58min... Very pleased considering me (and Neil) had done no training for this... Head out for curry, beer and then collapse about 10pm after walking around Ingleton like John Wayne...

I think my legs are now back to normal - its taken about a month for the aches to completely go - and I still have a tweaky feeling shin splint/top of left foot - but all on all OK. Looking back on it, the first two were fine - the last one finished me off... it is also the longest distance I've ever walked in a day (I think) so at 45 pretty pleased with the effort. Doing a 15 miler a week or two before would probably have been a good idea - to get things stretched would have helped I think...

Amusing watching a well spoken bloke in the 110 group - who came down 45 min after us (we chatted on the way down so we know) telling someone else in the 110 that had just come in that he'd done it in 7:30 :D

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Amusing watching a well spoken bloke in the 110 group - who came down 45 min after us (we chatted on the way down so we know) telling someone else in the 110 that had just come in that he'd done it in 7:30 :D

And you're telling me you didn't instantly demand video proof of his claim?
 :ohmy:

tomtom

• forum hero
No - we knew he'd done it in over 10 hours as he'd started an hour before us and came in after us... I was chuckling at him bullshitting someone at the bar...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
he was probably logging it on strava and taking his moving time rather the irrelevant elapsed time spent doubled up gasping for breath.  It's how I get all my PBs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal