UKBouldering.com

Wiki is now working again....kind of... (Read 13783 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Wiki is now working again....kind of...
September 25, 2015, 03:14:55 pm

The wiki has now been upgraded and I believe it's working correctly, though the upload permissions are locked down for the time being due to some recent security issues - if anyone wants to upload anything please contact me.

The main problem is that I can't seem to get any non-default themes to work correctly so we're stuck with the rather ugly default "Vector" theme for the time being.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Currently get a 404 on http://ukbouldering.com/wiki that is linked from the top of the page.

Muesli

• addict
I get a list of the wiki highlights but when I try to go into any topic get the following
Not FoundThe requested URL /wiki was not found on this server.Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at ukbouldering.com Port 80

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I get a list of the wiki highlights but when I try to go into any topic get the following

The Wiki highlights are part of the forum.

Not FoundThe requested URL /wiki was not found on this server.Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at ukbouldering.com Port 80

Thats the 404 error I mentioned.

The Wiki hasn't been reinstated yet pending a few security fixes (via Bubba on Twatter a week or so ago).  The data hasn't been lost though and it will return.

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
#4 Re: Wiki is now working again....kind of...
December 05, 2015, 06:05:34 am
OK, the wiki is sort of working again ...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Wiki is now working again....kind of...
December 08, 2015, 03:39:52 pm
OK, the wiki is sort of working again ...

It seems to be being inundated by bots writing nonce sense/spam if the Recent Changes in the last two days are anything to go by.

Might be worthwhile disabling all editing and/or taking it off-line until its been secured to avoid having to undo a load of crap.

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
#6 Re: Wiki is now working again....kind of...
December 08, 2015, 05:50:40 pm
Fuck. Thanks.

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
Taken the wiki off-line again. Various problems, and no time available to resolve right now.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Any movement on this mods?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sorry, no. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to access?

The Wiki :clown:

haydn jones

• forum hero
Cream of the crop access would be nice :)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Thanks for this. It appears I have been able to make minor changes so assume you have not locked it down yet? I would like the option to edit in future so will PM as advised... Thanks

fried

• forum hero
I'd quite like to be able to keep the easy Font stuff up to date. I still haven't finished the first draft. I don't mind either having a password or just forwarding the stuff to Slackers.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I don't particularly want change access but I thought this list would be good to include
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,26843.msg515702.html#msg515702

fried

• forum hero
Yeah, no problem. It'll take me a couple of weeks as I have family here for the next week or so. If it hasnt been done by the end of March, give me a prod.

fried

• forum hero
I can edit the wikia. I added the above stuff in as a test. I'll tidy it up a bit when I've got a moment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
just forwarding the stuff to Slackers.

Sorry I've insufficient time to have stuff forwarded to me to put on the Wiki.

It would kind of defeat the object of having a Wiki which anyone (whose account has permissions) can contribute to.  They are community generated (and maintained) resources and not the responsibility of individuals, although obviously administration falls to one person, in this case habrich.

fried

• forum hero
just forwarding the stuff to Slackers.

Sorry I've insufficient time to have stuff forwarded to me to put on the Wiki.

It would kind of defeat the object of having a Wiki which anyone (whose account has permissions) can contribute to.  They are community generated (and maintained) resources and not the responsibility of individuals, although obviously administration falls to one person, in this case habrich.

I can edit the wikia. I added the above stuff in as a test. I'll tidy it up a bit when I've got a moment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Great, thanks for doing that fried.

I'd started writing that reply before you'd posted that you'd done it though.  I was annoyingly distracted by work though which is why it appears I'd ignored your post.

The point still stands, Wikis work when everyone contributes to them rather than expecting others to do the leg work.  Would Wikipedia be the resource it is today if everybody emailed Jimmy Wales the content for him to add?  No it wouldn't.

It would be great to see the UKBWiki utilised more, theres a fair bit of information on there but the same questions get asked repeatedly in the forums, despite the effort others have gone to writing cogent articles on training, injuries and venues.  Part of the reason for this is lack of awareness, most people will miss the small bit of text at the top of each page, but in contrast plastering "THERE IS A WIKI" in the header would be obtrusive, not sure how to improve this situation really.  I used to point people at the "How to Embed Images" page when they were having trouble but that doesn't really help new people since the struggle first then get pointed at to the information.  No real idea on how to change this situation, but I'll continue to add information to the "Venues" section as and when it becomes available and my time permits.

fried

• forum hero
I think that very few people are going to ask for editing rights and the wiki will sadly die out. I only remembered that I hadn't finished updating it because you occassionally link to it.

:jab: And my reading-between-the-lines-challenged friend I wasn't seriously expecting everyone to email you and you do the updates! I do know what a wiki is. ;) (and other icons which convey a bit of light-hearted inoffensive banter)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I think that very few people are going to ask for editing rights and the wiki will sadly die out. I only remembered that I hadn't finished updating it because you occassionally link to it.

Unfortunately I think you're right :'(

:jab: And my reading-between-the-lines-challenged friend I wasn't seriously expecting everyone to email you and you do the updates! I do know what a wiki is. ;) (and other icons which convey a bit of light-hearted inoffensive banter)

But once something has been said and posted on a forum they can take on a life of their own and I wanted to avoid that.

I also failed to see the humor/teasing in your post.  :oops: :sorry:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
It just spreads chaos & confusion anyway. The "20/10s" in the wiki that Shark says are the best thing he's ever done for endurance are not the same as the "20/10s" in Tommy's recent Wild Country vid. So now I'm confused, and at risk of either wasting sessions, or not wasting sessions but having a nagging suspicion that I might have  :'(  :ohmy: I wish I'd never read the bloody thing  :P :???: :tease:

(Shark's sound harder: 20 moves rather than 20 seconds. I don't get anywhere near 20 moves in 20 seconds at my sloth-like climbing pace. This may be part of the problem)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Pffft! You encourage me to do the work to keep the thing alive then tell us it is dying anyway!  ::)

More a guess as to what might happen in the future, I would love to be proven wrong and see it grow as a resource that people keep on going back to.

The "20/10s" in the wiki that Shark says are the best thing he's ever done for endurance are not the same as the "20/10s" in Tommy's recent Wild Country vid.

Sounds like you need to edit the Wiki and make the distinction between the two ;-)

haydn jones

• forum hero
can't log in as don't know pass work for account haydn jones, when i try to send an email to the haydn jones account, there is no such account, when i try to create an account the user name haydn jones is already taken... arrrg

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal