UKBouldering.com

UKB regular Cheque's Black Rocks film free to view at BMC TV (Read 25928 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:39:47 pm by habrich, Reason: change title and format for front page »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
been looking forward to this

gonna make me some popcorn

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Well that was a bit good indeed. Never has VDiff biffing been so slickly presented.

Nice film, nice ode to a great crag, I really like the purpose of it. I also liked the footage of Mark20 on the Gaia sloper, made it quite special that he hadn't touched it before.

The only criticism I have is that a bit more varied footage of mid-high-extreme routes (e.g. The Sprain, Fun Traverse, Camel Hot, and similar stuff) would have been nice, but I'm sure there were logistical aspects to consider.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:45:52 pm by Fiend »

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Loved it  :)

Great editing skills, especially liked the voices whilst setting off on Meshuga.

andy popp

• forum hero
Really looking forward to getting a chance to watch this later.

fried

• forum hero
Excellent. Lovely pre-dinner viewing.

I went to Black rocks for the first time this year, went to look at railway slab, it looked about 20m high. I was glad it was raining so I didn't have to put my boots on.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Great Cheque, thank you for making this. Really chuffed you got Mark on Gaia, found myself whispering c'mon mate even though I know he did it - Nice one Mark.

danm

• junky
I really liked the vibe and tempo of the film, it felt like a proper homage to the crag. Good to see some footage involving a struggle as well, with some proper shuffling and scuffling on the edge of control. Great work!

andy_e

• forum hero
Really looking forward to getting a chance to watch this later.

+1  :popcorn:

bolehillbilly

• stalker
It's a shame no-one filmed Cheque's introduction from the launch event/premier at the Pav in Matlock.  That was class as is his film.  I hope it gets lots of views.

dave

Looking forwards to watching this.

Off topic:
Can I just check is Mike Cheque a genuine real name, or like an assumed equity/street name? Or a genius ploy to get free product advertising on every hiphop album ever. Either way it's a brilliant name.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Soooooooo good. The footage of Mark on Gaia is fantastic. Ball to the wall stuff - great to see people out there doing really bold things. In fact Mark's climbing looks as good on film as JDs!
The footage of Meshuga is loads better than Hard Grit, which didn't seem to convey how gymnastic and difficult the climbing seems.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
Flipping superb  8)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Thanks for all the positive comments guys  :-[ - it's so gratifying to have produced something that appears to succeed in the ways I'd hoped it would. All the hard work by both myself the others involved really paid off.  ;D

I still get sweaty hands watching Mark20 on Gaia myself. In the flesh it was totally intense- filming all the routes was so much fun, particularly the ones I'd never seen climbed before.

The only criticism I have is that a bit more varied footage of mid-high-extreme routes (e.g. The Sprain, Fun Traverse, Camel Hot, and similar stuff) would have been nice, but I'm sure there were logistical aspects to consider.

:agree: This is my only real regret. I didn't find people to climb the routes in that grade bracket within the timescale unfortunately, not for lack of trying (I asked you in fact :P ) but I do kind of like the idea that there are a lot of quality routes at the crag that aren't featured. I think there are 26 routes on the film in total, all quality, but still lots of ** & *** "ones that got away". It's just a shame most are in the same grade range.

Off topic:
Can I just check is Mike Cheque a genuine real name, or like an assumed equity/street name? Or a genius ploy to get free product advertising on every hiphop album ever. Either way it's a brilliant name.

It's a name I came up with when I was a hip-hop DJ  8)  :lol: in my early 20s. I've just carried on using it for online/ fun use ever since. Many people I know have no idea it's not my real name and I've had to produce my driving license to prove it's not on more than one occasion!

Ironically, my real surname is actually the same as an 80s climbing legend.

dave

Off topic:

It's a name I came up with when I was a hip-hop DJ  8)  :lol: in my early 20s. I've just carried on using it for online/ fun use ever since. Many people I know have no idea it's not my real name and I've had to produce my driving license to prove it's not on more than one occasion!

Ironically, my real surname is actually the same as an 80s climbing legend.

Brilliant. Just make sure you have kids with names like "Rain", "Reality", and of course "Chiggy".

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Good work Mr Pollitt :)

I watched about 10 mins on my laptop before deciding to savour it on telly at home.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
The music is also really well selected. I suppose those pieces all have the advantage of being free to use, but its so refreshing to have a break from the dubstep or power chords or whatever normally accompanies climbing films.

And really nice to see out and out punters (read - normal climbers) getting scared and flailing at their limit.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I didn't find people to climb the routes in that grade bracket within the timescale unfortunately, not for lack of trying (I asked you in fact :P )
I know! I really regret not trying harder to get down now. Got me psyched to get back down full stop though.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Yeah,really loved this film. :2thumbsup:

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
Oh Mike  :( Tonight was supposed to be my no alcohol night!

You've spoit that with your bloody brilliant video...

Can't wait to watch it!

andy_e

• forum hero
Anyone else struggling to get BMC TV to load more than thirty seconds of footage without it pausing for ages?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Thanks for this Mike. Exquisitely put together.

deacon

• addict
Proper good and well worth the wait.
The topout footage of Mark on Gaia is electric, and probably the most captivating climbing footage I've seen (only matched by the Hard Grit Gaia footage with the heartbeat).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I think the Gaia "scene" is definitely amongst the most gripping climbing footage i've seen. The light is flat and it looks freezing cold, the line looks incredibly intimidating. I feel like I'm there! The look on Mark's face says it all really. All the preinspected ascents make the top out look piss. I think when you know it the leg out right becomes quite dynamic and people get to really bury their foot round the arête? Because Mark's flashing those moves it looks so much more conservative and the toe hook looks crap! And then palming down the fucking sloper! AAARGH! Excruciating to watch  :2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
I think the Gaia "scene" is definitely amongst the most gripping climbing footage i've seen. The light is flat and it looks freezing cold, the line looks incredibly intimidating. I feel like I'm there! The look on Mark's face says it all really. All the preinspected ascents make the top out look piss. I think when you know it the leg out right becomes quite dynamic and people get to really bury their foot round the arête? Because Mark's flashing those moves it looks so much more conservative and the toe hook looks crap! And then palming down the fucking sloper! AAARGH! Excruciating to watch  :2thumbsup:

A very good description. A gripping watch...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal