UKBouldering.com

t nut spacing (Read 4773 times)

chappers

• forum hero
t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 08:34:56 am
dave et al,
how close together are your t-nuts. im thinking of a square grid pattern with holes 4-5 cm appart. ( i want a lot of holdz and remember seeing m.smiths woody was dense packed together)

maybe wider near the top o the board to allow for bigger holdz?

ta

dave

#1 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:23:53 am
i think 4-5cm is too small - with anything other than very small bolt-ons you'll end up having to miss a hole out between holds (otherwise ther'll be no space for your fingers on the holds, and tightly packed holds are hard to grab/slap to) so it'll be like you're on a 10cm spacing anyway.

I drew a 4" grid on my board, and basically put a t-nut in every other hole, so what you end up with is an 8" ofset diamond grid. This is what most indoor walls use, cos you won't end up with a boring straight grid, and it leaves you space for screw-ons. plus the grid is still regular, so you can still do system shit. I found my 8" grid if anything is a little wide, so maybe 6 1/2" or 7" might be best. i guess it depends how many screwons you want anbd if you want big slopers and ting.

you need to plan your grid though so it doesn't coincide with the supports on the back or you'll end up with dead t-nuts. I almost managed it, only got a couple and youcan still use em with short bolts. don't bother with t-nuts in the bottom 2foot of your board. use as short a kickboard as possible,

best thing is sort out your grid on one board, clamp all your other boards underneath it, drill your holes (12 or 13mm drill bit) through the lot, then cut the boards to any weird shape you need BEFORE hammering in the t-nuts. bet some mates around to do the hammering, cos its hard work and makes your ears ring.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:28:24 am
Quote from: "dave"
and makes your ears ring.

yeah, I ended up wearing earplugs when doing mine!

dave

#3 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:36:12 am
i just got avid to do mine. he was happy as a sandboy. HE FUCKING LOVES THE T-NUTS.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:42:59 am
does anybody on here actually use a system board?

dave

#5 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:46:18 am
i'm pretty sure TH does, and i've got a system bit set up in the midst of my other holds.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 09:50:22 am
Here's the T.H. board:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 10:14:30 am
nice board, tho maybe T.H. should invest in some of them bleeping holds like the bockstar. it's obviously not that good for training tho since he can't get to the top holds, looks like he just keeps snatching for the middle of the board :roll:

Simon S

• menacing presence
#8 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 10:31:10 am
I've used boards with t nuts spaced at about 4" , seems to work ok particularly with loads of small holds. I agree with dave that 8" is a bit to far apart (unless you have a massive board).
Oh, and ear plugs are essential!!

dave

#9 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 10:38:08 am
even with an 4" ofset grid (i.e. 2 8" grids overlapping), the bolt holes are effectivley 5.6" apart diagonally. adding in screw-ons you still get a good covering - as you ca see its hardly spartan!

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#10 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 11:47:41 am
System boards rock if you're really lazy like me and can never be bothered to set new problems, and have no friends to come over and set them either.

I'll have you know Dense I've got to the top my board many times, I remeber just last september I slapped the top holds.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#11 t nut spacing
August 13, 2004, 12:42:55 pm
thats a prime board tim. are those simon s's holds on it? oh right they r just seen the old thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal