UKBouldering.com

West Yorkshire (Read 1797 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
West Yorkshire
August 30, 2015, 11:40:24 am
I am going to be spending a lot more time in West Yorkshire soon, I have managed to secure myself some work down there so will be splitting my time between Keswick and Haworth.

So I was wondering what useful advice the UKB team can offer me as a newbie in the area? Best wall locally? Is it Rokt at Brighouse? Or do I make the trip to the Depot? I am happy to drive up to 45mins if the wall is worth it, it's what I currently travel to get to Eden Rock. What's the best local crag to me? Earl? I have very little knowledge and an old copy of Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering, what am I missing out on? I noticed some stuff up in the hill side between Gargrave and Skipton but couldn't find any more info.

Are there any boards in the area perhaps? Or any locals willing to show me about?

Very happy to be making the change, although it's not permanent as my new lady would love to relocate to Cumbria eventually. This is a good compromise for now, so I'd like to capitalise on what's on offer in a new area.

Thanks in advance all.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: West Yorkshire
August 30, 2015, 09:49:43 pm
Earl Crag.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#2 Re: West Yorkshire
August 30, 2015, 10:04:44 pm
The crag you will be looking at between gargrave and Skipton is flasby fell (where rhythm is.). That crag isn't massively expansive but some great problems e.g. Leaning block art

So much to go at, I suggest getting both the Yorkshire grit YMC guides, they are great and will point you in the right direction.

Depot is your best bet and you will get there is 45mins if you don't set off at 5-5:30!!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: West Yorkshire
August 30, 2015, 10:39:27 pm
Depot is definitely better than Rokt and worth the extra drive if you're prepared to make it. The two new grit guides are very good if you're prepared to make the outlay. You're perfectly positioned to use volume 2 in Haworth but within reach of the other stuff as well.

The crag you saw was Flasby Fell which is best for the harder grades really.

You're welcome to bring some psyche to my board in Bingley, just PM me if you're interested. I can get on it most nights but sometimes need the kick up the arse from a visitor to make the effort!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: West Yorkshire
August 31, 2015, 12:05:14 am
My advice would be drive the extra miles to the Depot for wall work-outs - huge array of frequently changed, well-set problems .  For proper rock, Earl is great if dry.  If not, and if I were a short term visitor, I'd personally drive longer to go to genuinely class crags rather than seek out scrittley esoterica even locals rarely bother with purely for the sake of proximity.  Unless you are exclusively in the market for after-work hits, drive the extra to Almscliff and Caley. Shipley Glen is perhaps the best relatively nearly option. 

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#5 Re: West Yorkshire
August 31, 2015, 12:30:51 pm
Great info gents, many thanks. I'll get myself down to Needle Sports and get a guide bought!

Will, I'll get a PM sent when I'm next down. I'd be keen to get out on the grit if you're about? Also be handy to car pool for depot potentially? And ace news on you having a board! I've got the psyche, lacking the strength, technique and ability though haha!

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#6 Re: West Yorkshire
August 31, 2015, 02:30:34 pm
BoulderUK is also a good wall in Blackburn. I've got a board in Nelson that we go on Tuesdays and Thursdays that you are welcome to join.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal