UKBouldering.com

Speeding up healing holes in tips.. (Read 10194 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 11:19:53 am
I normally stop when my skin gets a bit thin and avoid this - but I got a bit carried away on some moorland grit yesterday and now have 4 or 5 little holes in my tips. Not as bad as splits etc.. But.. Is there any way to speed up their healing?

Plasters yes/no? Keeping them dry yes/no? Acappai plutonium snake oil?

Or superglue, a thin layer of tape and mtfu?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 12:50:29 pm
Garlic. Cut thinly, rub on liberally.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 01:59:19 pm
Garlic. Cut thinly, rub on liberally.

?? owwwww!! shirley!

petejh

• forum hero
#3 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 02:02:34 pm

Compound Tinc of Benzoine/Friar's balsam, tape and mtfu.

the CTofB helps with healing damaged skin and helps keep the tape in place. Means you'll smell like a old person's home/clinic though

mark s

• junky
#4 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 05:45:25 pm
leave them to open air,its not open so no need to cover.
super glue is for real cuts.i slashed my foot on granite snorkling in thailand and super glue worked a treat

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 05:47:51 pm
leave them to open air,its not open so no need to cover.
super glue is for real cuts.i slashed my foot on granite snorkling in thailand and super glue worked a treat

eek! Yes, on sat I used Superglue to stop them bleeding (worked on two not the third)

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 08:00:35 pm
 :tease:

Compound Tinc of Benzoine/Friar's balsam, tape and mtfu.

the CTofB helps with healing damaged skin and helps keep the tape in place. Means you'll smell like a old person's home/clinic though
Tom usually smells like his incontinance pad needs changing so no problem.

rodma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 08:01:13 pm
I put superglue into a split once. Worst decision I ever took skinwise. Because the wound was edge shaped, the glue formed a solid wedge which drove in further as I beared down.

Best thing you can do is manage your skin well to prevent it wearing away in the first place . It's so difficult to do this on trips though

ding dong

• addict
#8 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 09:11:58 pm
Keep it keen, tape/butterfly lengthways to pull it together, and if you climb put loads of tape, consider taping in a way to keep you finger bent if that could further help skin being pulled appart.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 09:56:09 pm
Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream will revolutionise your life Tom! Little expensive but awesome especially if you split!

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 16, 2015, 10:07:31 pm

Elizabeth Arden eight hour cream will revolutionise your life Tom! Little expensive but awesome especially if you split!

But I'm worth it :D

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#11 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 17, 2015, 07:44:17 am
Garlic will cost you about 30p. You won't find another way to get more vit E into the skin. MTFU and try it.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#12 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 17, 2015, 11:45:09 am
1. Clean really thoroughly as soon as possible, I mean like a good long wash under hot water possibly applying soap twice and being sure to get all soap off. This is to properly remove the chalk that will dry the skin and slow skin regrowth. IMHO this is the most important step.
2. If it's a bleeder then I would cover (plaster, tape, whatever) for a day (two if bad). Keeping it protected and slightly damp will help with the skin regrowth.
3. Moisturise as much as you need (varies a lot person to person). I've tried all the brands and read Ben Goldacre's Bad Science, my conclusion is any will do but I avoid "perfumed" ones.
4. If i'm climbing on it then I'll tape it.

benno

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 01:20:24 pm
I inadvertently tried the garlic cure whilst preparing dinner last night. Hurts like fuck, can't say I've noticed any improvement over keeping it clean and moisturised. So saying, I do use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula moisturiser religiously, which has a lot of vitamin E already. I swear by the stuff, but then my hand turns into crisps in hours without something on them.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#14 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 01:46:10 pm

I invested in some of this after hearing a few folk rave about it. Can't say it makes a jot of difference. You might be worth it but it's not.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 02:09:51 pm
SCIENCE recipe:

* antioxidants, so vitamin E, C and garlic all count
* some kind of oily layer to keep it all moist, and promote healing

That said, the effect of vitamin E on scars was shown to have a risk of contact dermatitis.  So if you get any irritation, stop innit.

Buy the cheapest possible hand cream. 

Or get some vitamin E and C, and crush some up (not many?) with some garlic, add to olive oil, and rub it on your hands, optionally whilst saying the equivalent to "milky milky" obvs.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 02:59:18 pm
Thanks all - I've been putting lipsyl on every couple of hours (found a random climbing post about it somewhere and happened to have a stick right in front of me) and it's worked really well. Just back from woodwell where I climbed with tips taped and no fresh/renewed bleeding. Surprised at how well it worked..

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#17 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 03:22:47 pm
Obviously prevention is better than cure

I got a bit carried away on some moorland grit

Baaaaad

Just back from some limestone 

Goooood

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 04:26:38 pm

I invested in some of this after hearing a few folk rave about it. Can't say it makes a jot of difference. You might be worth it but it's not.

Well it healed this split overnight, no word of a lie! https://instagram.com/p/wsjdh0EQaa/ I was climbing the following day!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#19 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 04:35:52 pm
Maybe it's just my skin, seems to be very slow to repair.  A split like that would take a couple of weeks to heel fully

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 04:41:27 pm

Well it healed this split overnight, no word of a lie! https://instagram.com/p/wsjdh0EQaa/ I was climbing the following day!

Any chance you could put up a pic of what the tube/tub/jar looks like. Google shows about 5 different varieties of the stuff!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#21 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 05:06:32 pm

Any chance you could put up a pic of what the tube/tub/jar looks like. Google shows about 5 different varieties of the stuff!
This is the one I bought

kelvin

• forum hero
#22 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 05:32:10 pm
Okay - I bought the 8hr but the red top Original one. It's a bit different to the one you have. I walked into Debenhams a few times, about every five days and only used their sample tube on my left hand, basically to see if there was a difference when compared to what I normally use. I suffer from really thin skin due to using sandpaper at work all the time (decorator) and the left hand takes the most abuse since I bust up the right hand. Add climbing into the mix and it's rare I have good skin.
I kept on using ClimbOn on the right hand and after a few weeks, I invested in the 8hr shizzle. A whole world of goodness for my skin. It may well be different for others but for me it works brilliantly. Not using it at the moment as I'm on hols for a month and the fingers only need to cope with climbing.

Not the one you use Ian, obviously. Can't really comment on yours as I've not tried it.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

kelvin

• forum hero
#24 Re: Speeding up healing holes in tips..
August 18, 2015, 05:52:32 pm
so not the hand cream

This one?

http://uk.strawberrynet.com/skincare/elizabeth-arden/eight-hour-cream--tube----3182-4252-eign10090/20585/

That's the one and fuck me, that's cheap. It's more like a pink gel than a white hand cream. Just bought another two tubes for the trip...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal