UKBouldering.com

Training Fingers Individually (Read 12386 times)

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Training Fingers Individually
August 05, 2015, 10:44:04 pm
I was listening to a podcast on trainingbeta and they have a guy on there by the name of adam macke. I always find it quite interesting to hear the opinion of climbers who have come to the sport from other backgrounds as they quite often train in different ways to the accepted norms. This may be a bad thing or it may open the sport up to more diverse and useful training methods.

One of the things that he advocated was training each finger on its own. It kind of makes sense as you can push each finger to the max without another finger compensating for it. I had a go earlier today at this and apart from taking quite a long time due to the faffing about with weights, it seems quite good. You can obviously see the progression of each finger on its own as well as opposed to saying "my front 3 are 10% stronger", you can say "my ring finger is 18% stronger, my index is 14% stronger.."

Is there any reason why this method is considered pointless or is it just easier to train groups of fingers together and there is no benefit to doing it any other way. I guess the other reason might be that you tend to climb with back 2, front 3, all 4 rather than single fingers so it might not translate quite so well if you train them separately.

Part of the attraction of this is that if I have a finger injury I can ignore that finger without having to ease off on the others.

Thoughts?

abarro81

• forum hero
#1 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 05, 2015, 10:53:48 pm
The beastmaker guys seem psyched on breaking grips down in this manner. The downside to my mind is that training individual fingers if often tweaky, thus meaning increased risk of injury or risk of not trying as hard - if I'm on back 2 on a small hold or trying pinky monos or something I wont dig deep in the same way as if I'm dragging nicely on f3 as I'll release if it feels sketchy, which it usually does.

Schnell

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 05, 2015, 10:59:43 pm
I've tried this when I've been injured in the past. As Barrows says the tweakiness is a definite drawback. I felt like it put a lot of stress on the collateral ligaments because the fingers aren't supported laterally when they're separated.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 05, 2015, 11:20:16 pm
The way I am doing this is using a pulley and a bleaustone 30 degree mono pocket attached to a wooden block. I don't feel like there is any particularly increased risk of injury with this system as the hold is ergonomic and just the right size.

blamo

• addict
#4 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 02:00:38 am
I have done something similar to what you are suggesting for roughly a year.  In all honesty, the results are mixed.  Your fingers do get stronger, but the cross-over to climbing might not be as good as you would hope.  As others have suggested it is fairly hard to go 100% on a mono-pinky hang.

I do notice the cross-over in ring and finger locks since you are, in some ways, isolating the fingers in these positions.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 02:09:08 am
I've found isolating fingers to be a very worthwhile exercise. Working the back two on small crimps appeared to greatly 'round' my grip if you get what I mean.

dave

#6 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 07:30:11 am
Unless you're planning on using your fingers individually, i.e. routes with umpteen different sized monos, then whats the point in training them separately? Maybe if you'd identified that you got one finger that was disproportionately weaker than the rest, but otherwise isn't it just going to take 8-10 times as long to do a training session, and potentially not be very specific to climbing?

abarro81

• forum hero
#7 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 08:08:57 am
If you're pulling on index and pinky monos and it doesn't feel tweaky then I'd suggest that either
a) you're very lucky and very uninjury prone, it probably doesn't matter how you train you'll get insanely strong anyway
b) you're already too strong to want to listen to most opinions on her
c) you're not actually trying very hard

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#8 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 09:29:03 am
In a paper from 1995* Köstermeyer and Weineck measured the maximal force 8 advanced climbers and 8 physically active non-climbers could sustain hanging one armed from a 20 mm deep rounded wooden edge. They compared this with the sum of the maximal force they could sustain hanging from each finger in a 20 mm deep rounded pocket (25 mm in diameter). They found that the sum of the strength of the individual fingers was 44.1% (±12%) higher than the strength of all four fingers combined. This, so called bilateral deficit, is normally around 5-15% in isometric contraction, and is generally believed to be due to reduced neural drive IIRC. (The usual example to introduce bilateral deficit is to point out that we cannot jump twice as high when using both legs)

Why they didn't measure the force of the individual fingers on the same wooden edge, I'll never know, and I suspect that explains why the deficit was so large. (Othsuki found a similar but smaller deficit for dynamic contractions in 1981† and the inhibition effect depended on both the number of fingers and which fingers was contracted {pinky and index fingers where more inhibited than middle and ring fingers}, [disclaimer: I've only read the abstract]).

In the discussion part of the paper they briefly describe a 8 week training program for individual fingers done by “one of the best climbers in Germany” at the time (it doesn't say, but I assume that this is the first author of the paper) and found a strength increase in the middle fingers was 1.35 and 1.38% per week, above the value of 1% strength gain per week Hettinger (1966) found for isometric training in untrained subjects (who should see much faster gains).

The exercises done in the 8 week program was:

1) One finger hangs, standing on a bathroom scale, hanging 10-12 s (100% effort) for 3-5 series, 3 min rest

2) Dynamic contractions with individual fingers in a sling width weights hanging from the sling. 15-20 reps, (60-70% of max strength) 3-5 series. At least 2 min rest. Fast reps.

3)  Manual resistance exercise. (This exercise sounds strange, but as far as I understand...) On your back. Sling around first phalanx of the finger. Sling attached to a rope that goes through a wheel and down to the leg. Lift your leg with the finger. As usual for manual resistance, apply more force to straighten the finger. 3-5 series, 10-12 reps, at least 3 min 

As far as I know, apart from the evidence from one athlete reported in this paper there is no other study on one finger training. But I know that a certain E. L. was interested to do a bigger study based on ideas from this paper a few years ago. Since I've heard nothing since, I assume that it has been put on ice.

Overall the Köstermeyer paper is not exactly his best, it is in German, and it is in an obscure journal and not easy to get hold of (well, except through a PM). Nevertheless since I happen to have read it as a favour to a friend of a friend I thought I should precis it here as well.

*Köstermeyer G, Weineck J. Notwendigkeit des einfingrigen Trainings der Fingerbeugemuskulatur zur Leistungssteigerung im Sportklettern. Vergleich der Kraftentwicklung bei ein- und vierfingriger Maximalkontraktion. Deutsche Zeitschrift für Sportmedizin, Jg. 46, Nr.7/8, 356-362, 1995

Othsuki T, Inhibition of individual fingers during grip strength exertion, Ergonomics, Volume 24, Issue 1, 1981

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 09:30:06 am
Unless you're planning on using your fingers individually, i.e. routes with umpteen different sized monos, then whats the point in training them separately? Maybe if you'd identified that you got one finger that was disproportionately weaker than the rest, but otherwise isn't it just going to take 8-10 times as long to do a training session, and potentially not be very specific to climbing?

Precisely..  Does Usain bolt go one legged running?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#10 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 09:39:15 am
I thought the Adam Macke podcast was a load of shit.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 10:02:23 am
Interesting opinions guys, thanks for sharing!

Three nine, what did you think was shit about it exactly. Some of it I didn't agree with but there was some interesting stuff in it.

I should add that I am only training open handed as I would find it hard to do half crimp safely on single fingers. My open hand strength isn't amazing and i'm still recovering after an A2 so crimping isn't a priority for now.

My fingers and forearms certainly feel like they have had more of a workout than usual this morning. I'm going to give this 6 weeks or so to see if it works so I'll try and remember to post the results in here when I am done.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 10:32:35 am
I can see the value in training groups of fingers (back three - back two etc..) as there are many times when you get a hold without the full contingent of digits - but as Dave said - unless you're training for Action Direct then is there any great value in training individual digits? Unless of course you want to show off doing pinky one armers - in which case it makes complete sense :)

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#13 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 10:36:47 am
If you're pulling on index and pinky monos and it doesn't feel tweaky then I'd suggest that either
a) you're very lucky and very uninjury prone, it probably doesn't matter how you train you'll get insanely strong anyway
b) you're already too strong to want to listen to most opinions on her
c) you're not actually trying very hard

+1

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 10:50:07 am
I can see the value in training groups of fingers (back three - back two etc..) as there are many times when you get a hold without the full contingent of digits - but as Dave said - unless you're training for Action Direct then is there any great value in training individual digits? Unless of course you want to show off doing pinky one armers - in which case it makes complete sense :)

Thats kind of making the assumption that training fingers individually would only improve your finger strength when you use them on their own to climb. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't translate to increased strength when you use 2,3, or 4 fingers. Its simply a way of training each finger to the max in a controlled manner.

Adding weight when fingerboarding doesn't feel great and removing weight and doing one arm hangs feels like I am mixing purposes as it hits the arms and shoulders so much.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#15 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:25:24 am

Precisely..  Does Usain bolt go one legged running?
You're missing the point.
One thing is strengthening the structures involved in the activity, another thing is the activity itself. Maybe Bolt does lots of one legged jumps.
We are not talking about climbing using only one finger at a time, we are talking about training one finger at a time.
I think that the main difference is made by the type of prehension you want to train.
Isolating fingers is the best way to train openhanded, because of the diffrent lenghts.
Training half crimp or full crimp is another thing... It's very likely that to be able to half crimp a mono you have to take lots of weight off and it's very dangerous, especially for the lateral stability. Training half crimp front, middle and back2 is more than enough in my experience. Adding weight.
I train middle2 half crimp on the small BM rung and the lateral forces are horrible.
Briefly: I think it's worth training normal openhanded monos - in fact I do - regardless of the chance of climbing on monos. I think it's not worth training half or full crimp monos because too tweaky and uneffective.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#16 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:30:01 am
The main thing is that if you've been climbing/training for a bit i reckon you really need to be giving it some serious shit to force a strength gain. Its harder to do this with isolated fingers than it is with more fingers. Like Nible says, mono half-crimp is well iffy. Four fingers half crimp is ok.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#17 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:32:43 am
Part of the reason there are people like Macke spouting shit like he does in that podcast, is that nobody wants to be told the boring old truth about how to get stronger for climbing - they want to hear some new and exciting bullshit.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#18 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:49:58 am
I was quite interested in the podcast but couldn't make it past the first four minutes.
If I heard another "ya know" I would have thrown the pc out of the window.
Ya know.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#19 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:53:49 am
Good topic - I am an MSK physio and work with hands a lot. I am also obsessed with grip strength!

Based on available research adaptive changes to the tendons and ligaments in each finger will be the main positive to gain from individual loading. 

With that in mind changes in muscle tension may not be so positive...

1) Its important to remember that its the co-ordinated contraction of each muscle in the flexor digitorum complex which gives someone a crusher grip (think footballer hoofing a ball - the quads contract and the hammies release).  With this in mind there is a danger in neglecting the forearm extensors in static holds which could lead to imbalance and a greater chance of pulley injury and things like lateral epicondylitis

2) The other risk is creating imbalance in each muscle belly of the digitorum which again could lead to poorer co-ordination of finger flexion - this ironically would mean you are move likely to pull something when all your fingers are working together on a hold.

There is the theory but Dave said it best above.

dave

#20 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:04:38 pm
Isolating fingers is the best way to train openhanded, because of the diffrent lenghts.

But unless your outdoor projects have holds that accommodate each finger having a differnt length, that allow your longer middle finger to be used in the optimal deadhanding straight position, whats the point?

I'm sure Bolt does some one-legged strength stuff but I'm sure he also does a fucking shit load of running rather than hopping. I bet he doesn't train his toes individually either.

Good knowledge from Huffy there.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:08:48 pm
Part of the reason there are people like Macke spouting shit like he does in that podcast, is that nobody wants to be told the boring old truth about how to get stronger for climbing - they want to hear some new and exciting bullshit.

I think thats a little shortsighted really. Yes, we know how to get stronger for climbing but we don't know necessarily what the best methods are to get the best results. Most sports and their training methods are constantly evolving so I don't see why you think that we know everything about getting strong for climbing.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#22 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:13:41 pm

But unless your outdoor projects have holds that accommodate each finger having a differnt length, that allow your longer middle finger to be used in the optimal deadhanding straight position, whats the point?

I'm sure Bolt does some one-legged strength stuff but I'm sure he also does a fucking shit load of running rather than hopping. I bet he doesn't train his toes individually either.

Good knowledge from Huffy there.

I thought that finger strength has about a 20 degree arc of relevance so if you are strong on your middle finger on its own you will probably still be strong if you have to bend that a little more when open handing with middle 3 as the change in angle isn't significant.

Also, running is a very simple sport compared to climbing so the type of exercises that are effective for Bolt are unlikely to have a direct parallel for us.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#23 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:18:59 pm

your outdoor projects WHAT?  ;)

I bet he doesn't train his toes individually either.
Let's keep this discussion serious. What Bolt does has nothing to do with this world and with climbing specifically.
The point to me is very simple. I want my fingers to be as strong as possible for every imaginable prehension. It's clearly impossible to specifically train them for every possible hold they'll encounter, so I'll have to choose what's most useful and effective.
According to this, I train full crimp in various combinations, mainly four fingers and front2; half crimp back3; and monos.
I do this because I think that this is the best way to train the basic prehensions.
It has nothing to do with the holds I may encounter.
A strong tendon is a strong tendon, ceteris paribus.
As I say, it's just a matter of potential: there's a given hold, I simply want to become as strong as possible on that hold.
And on every other hold. Which brings us to the start of my post.
Bear in mind that this has nothing to do with "real" climbing.

rodma

• forum hero
#24 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:19:23 pm

I think thats a little shortsighted really. Yes, we know how to get stronger for climbing but we don't know necessarily what the best methods are to get the best results. Most sports and their training methods are constantly evolving so I don't see why you think that we know everything about getting strong for climbing.

i agree with three nine.

we may not know what is best yet, but we know how to get really strong. the hardest part is executing this properly and not fooling ourselves into thinking we are strong because we can do a shit one-armer, or feel like we trained hard because we are tired afterwards.

the pitfalls of kidding ourselves we are any good, combined with treading the fine line between progress and injury are the main obstacles to progress (imho), not the lack of training fingers individually, or taking creatine, or cutting out refined carbs, etc.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#25 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:24:57 pm
3.9 was a bit acid - who would have thought? - but I have to say that Macke made a terrible impression. Being unable to express your innovative training concepts in a clear and simple way is not good neither professional. Hiding behind strange words or confused explanations is a very poor show, especially if you're trying to revolution climbing's training well proven basics.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#26 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 12:32:30 pm
we may not know what is best yet, but we know how to get really strong. the hardest part is executing this properly and not fooling ourselves into thinking we are strong because we can do a shit one-armer, or feel like we trained hard because we are tired afterwards.
+1

andy_e

• forum hero
#27 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 01:25:25 pm
+1

Fuck's sake, that's pretty much my training session right there! Shit one-armers as finishers when I'm knackered from climbing... I bet you're going to tell me that I'm not allowed to have fun whilst training either?  ;D

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#28 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 01:39:36 pm

:tumble:

Schnell

• menacing presence
#29 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 09:40:15 pm
I thought the podcast was ok though there was less innovative, groundbreaking info than was suggested. There was the muscle activation stuff, which sounded like a load of shit, and a general fetish for doing as much training as possible using gym equipment, which applies to the finger training question here. Other than that there wasn't much new.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#30 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 06, 2015, 11:36:17 pm
Maybe if you'd identified that you got one finger that was disproportionately weaker than the rest, but otherwise isn't it just going to take 8-10 times as long to do a training session, and potentially not be very specific to climbing?

For me, the time is the key factor.  I am a very recent convert to fingerboarding, so maybe I am misleading myself, but I feel that using added weight and all four fingers (in a Lopez type regime) gives me an effective use of the the odd spare hour on a night after work.  If I started isolating fingers, the effects might have a greater additive value but the session would take a lot longer to cover the whole hand.... and frankly if I had that much time to spare I would not be finger-boarding.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#31 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 11:44:49 am
Time is not an issue if you alternate different sessions regularly. I find my current schedule quite effective, with one session dedicated to full crimp and another dedicated to half crimp and monos.
They produce a various range of stimuli and I think they cover most of what you could encounter on rock, if that's your thing.
After the crimp session I feel my fingers, joints and hand tendons worked; after the other session it's mostly the forearm tendons that get a beating.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 11:54:19 am
To be fair, the only reason the session took so long was because I was finding the max weight for each finger to use as a starting point and I don't have enough slings etc to do it efficiently at the moment so I was mucking around with weights for far more time than needs be.

If I group the weights into about 4 sets I can combine those sets to make every weight I need and simply clip/unclip the ones I need for a given finger. The rest after each set is a few minutes and you can easily do all 4 fingers and a pinch grip  one after the other for a combined total of perhaps 10 minutes. Rest 3. Repeat 3-4 times and you have everything done in less than an hour.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#33 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 12:02:40 pm
So, how does the setup look like?
You have a string with a loop in which you put the finger, then you flex the finger?
(Couldn't bear the whole podcast...)

blamo

• addict
#34 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 12:33:56 pm
mctrials23,

Are you doing two-armed hangs, or one-armed?  Based on my listening of the podcast I got the impression he was suggesting training one-finger on one-hand at a time (so one-arm hangs).  These seem to be a logistical mess.  The two-arms less so. 

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 01:39:48 pm

In my opinion, that is the opinion I rate the most, the problem with this kind of innovative, revolutionary, ultra commercialized kinds of training is what is described in this article here:
http://www.t-nation.com/blogs/number-one-coaching-mistake

Coaches that want to get loads of clients and become popular, try to fool people by using complicated words, complicated patterns, complicated programs, complicated excercises, to show off their culture or their imagination.
To the opposite, before setting up slings and pulleys to train each finger individually, why not becoming able to conventionally deadhang a 1 cm edge with some added weight? Why not becoming able to one arm a 2 cm edge?
Foundation comes before everything else. The fact that a climber gets benefits from that kind of training, doesn't imply that it's the best training that he could do. Even the shittiest training is better than no training.
Moreover: the study that jwi posted, which stated that the sum of the force produces by each finger individually was a lot greater than that produced by four fingers together, is highly biased because of the different holds used to measure each.
The four fingers half crimp cannot be related to four single fingers dragged.
Basically, the more I see the internet and the climbing world polluted by these individuals who create new, dubious training techniques, the more I want to stick to the basics.
Training doesn't have to be fun. If you're having fun, often you're not training at your best. Performing is fun.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 02:01:40 pm
Just to clear a few things up because some people seem to be taking this topic a little strangely.

Training fingers on their own isn't a new idea, I was merely suggesting that we discuss the idea.

There is nothing wrong with training all fingers at once as is the more traditional wisdom. I'm not claiming that either method is definitely better than the other.

The guy in the podcast doesn't explain things that well and is quite frustrating to listen to but that doesn't mean that his ideas are necessarily shit.

Yes we already know how to get strong but I have no idea what that has to do with discussing different ideas or things that could potentially make us stronger in less time than other methods. Again though, I'm not saying that this is such a method.

I am interested in this because I am quite heavy and tall and adding weight/ removing it for one arm work is not pleasant . The size of hold I use either has to be quite small and painful if I don't use extra weight or the amount of weight I have to add is so heavy that it just hurts my back. One arm hangs are better but I don't feel they target the fingers as much due to the shoulde, arm and back involvement. At 84kg one arm hangs usually fatigue my arms before fingers.

The system I rigged is very simple and is just a pulley with weight on one side and a block of wood with a single finger 30 degree pocket attached to it. That seems to give a good angle when you take into account the angle the hold ends up at based on the attachment point between the wood and the cord going through the pulley.

blamo

• addict
#37 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 02:16:48 pm
Good read Nible.  Thanks for that.

One arm hangs are better but I don't feel they target the fingers as much due to the shoulde, arm and back involvement.

I find the "more full-body" aspect of one-arm hangs to be an added advantage.  Again, I have tried the pulley with a mono and weight on the other end setup.  On the long-term I haven't noticed much improvement, but that is just my limited experience.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#38 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 04:01:18 pm

Moreover: the study that jwi posted, which stated that the sum of the force produces by each finger individually was a lot greater than that produced by four fingers together, is highly biased because of the different holds used to measure each.
The four fingers half crimp cannot be related to four single fingers dragged.

Exactly

Why they didn't measure the force of the individual fingers on the same wooden edge, I'll never know, and I suspect that explains why the deficit was so large.
However bilateral deficit is in all likelihood present in the fingers, it appears everywhere. Then again, how many cannot stimulate their fingers enough to gain strength with 2,3 or 4 finger hangs? Not many I'd wager.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#39 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 04:13:52 pm
Yes, exactly.
Mctrials, I don't want to criticize your training, we're simply debating whether the Macke method is the most effective one. If it works for you, well we're all happy. I tend to think, though, that you could reap more benefits with something more traditional.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#40 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 06:42:35 pm
Off Topic -
Training doesn't have to be fun. If you're having fun, often you're not training at your best. Performing is fun.
Training is Type 2 Fun :)

On-Topic -

I haven't finished listening so I haven't gotten to the part about training fingers individually, but I did get the impression he was really selling MAT and his services.  This makes me instantly skeptical about everything he says.  Probably more skeptical than I should be.

That said, I think the full body activation of weighted hangs and 1-arm hangs is really important, and maybe as important as the actual finger training. 

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#41 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 07, 2015, 07:58:57 pm
Isolating fingers is probably not a great idea for half crimping due to the lateral forces and the lack of stabilising fingers so I was planning to use standards methods to train that but I'm certainly going to give the one finger training a go on my open hand.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#42 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 10, 2015, 10:51:55 pm
So I finished this podcast, and SHOCK I agree with this:

...but I have to say that Macke made a terrible impression. Being unable to express your innovative training concepts in a clear and simple way is not good neither professional. Hiding behind strange words or confused explanations is a very poor show, especially if you're trying to revolution climbing's training well proven basics.

This is a bit Off Topic, but....  He basically argues that everybody is different, and therefore a one-size-fits-all training paradigm is worthless.  I think most people understand that if you get the "perfect" training plan, you improve at the most efficient rate.  However, I don't for one second believe his "methods" will get it right every time either.  And in the last few years I feel like we've seen leaps and bounds improvements in the understanding of climbing training.  He touts his stuff as "science" over and over.  I'd love to see this because there are so few scientific studies on climbing training.  I can only assume he's meaning that his training theory is based on other training paradigm's with scientific backing, but his own actually have no scientific backing. 

On topic.  Isolating muscles seems like a worthwhile means of determining if you have a weakness in the overall chain.  It seems like an extremely inefficient means of training though.  He argues against "hangboarding" and campusing on the premise that they teach/enforce bad technique, but this is also theoretical and has no scientific basis. Also it's entirely situational itself.  If you're terrible at cutting your feet, then these are both incredibly useful.   

Isolating fingers is probably not a great idea for half crimping due to the lateral forces and the lack of stabilising fingers so I was planning to use standards methods to train that but I'm certainly going to give the one finger training a go on my open hand.

Are you also going to spent significant time on pulling and core muscles which are crucial to the overall chain?  If not then you're sacrificing quite a bit of training potential.  I hope the benefit from the finger isolation is worthwhile.  This would be my biggest gripe.  I think the "hanging" part of deadhang's is quite important. 

blamo

• addict
#43 Re: Training Fingers Individually
August 11, 2015, 12:39:28 am
Isolating muscles seems like a worthwhile means of determining if you have a weakness in the overall chain. 

I definitely agree with this, but how you apply the knowledge seems tricky.  My right hand pinky is a fair bit weaker than my left hand pinky when using an incut one-pad mono (~20 lb. difference).  I get an odd pain in my forearm when I try to train pinky monos.  I have attributed this to differences in lengths between joints and my nervous system telling me this is a bad idea, but I could be totally out to lunch on this. 

However, when I compare my back-two pair (pinky and ring), both sides are roughly equal in strength (within say ~5 lb.) and I can really hammer the back two pair in training.  I have also found both ring fingers are fairly equal in strength (same one-pad incut mono).   

However, I have found a weakness between my right side and left side when doing one-arm hangs on edges.  This is a case where I am seeing good gains by focusing on the results, while the pinky monos seem to be fairly academic in nature.

The end result in all this analysis suggests I probably need to find a few more hobbies.  :bounce:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal