UKBouldering.com

non-climbing weekend away with the missus (Read 5550 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
non-climbing weekend away with the missus
August 05, 2015, 11:06:48 am
Got 10 year wedding anniversary coming up in October and the planned 2nd honeymoon is put on hold due to lack of funds but have got baby sitters for a long weekend away somewhere relatively cheap. Was thinking of going to Bruges but I'm sure you lot have some good alternative suggestions for a budget romatic weekend away?
Already done Paris a couple of times and obviously its only a weekend so don't want to spend most of it in airports/on planes
cheers

dave

How's about a miniature The Trip style tour of Michelin starred joints in Lakes/Dales/Trough Of Bowland etc? Put the flight money towards some boss food. Romantic walks in the autumn colours. Brush up on your Michael Caine impressions etc.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
I went to Bruges for a weekend with the missus last year and really rated it. Drove there from Calais. Don't know if you've been before but it defo ticks the 'romantic' box - it's quite like Venice with canals and churches and art etc. Struggled to find a good restaurant but that was because I didn't have a guidebook or research in advance.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
I went to Bruges for a weekend with the missus last year and really rated it. Drove there from Calais. Don't know if you've been before but it defo ticks the 'romantic' box - it's quite like Venice with canals and churches and art etc. Struggled to find a good restaurant but that was because I didn't have a guidebook or research in advance.

When we went to Bruges we had a cracking meal in a restaurant that matched a beer to each course. Can't remember the name off-hand, but I'll post it up later when I've reminded myself.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
How's about a miniature The Trip style tour of Michelin starred joints in Lakes/Dales/Trough Of Bowland etc? Put the flight money towards some boss food. Romantic walks in the autumn colours. Brush up on your Michael Caine impressions etc.

The Inn at Whitewell is always worth a visit, stayed once but eaten many times and always left happy.

Paul B

• forum hero
I keep having that place recommended to me GCW!

Jim, you can find some pretty unique places to stay on AirBnB if you invest the time (home and abroad).

Doylo

• forum hero
There's a spare room in my house you're welcome to...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Budapest is supposed to be the cheapest Euro city break going at the moment. Loads of cultural sights to see (old communist stuff, statue park etc) plus historic baths which look spectacular. Well worth a look.

If you want to keep it local you could perhaps redirect your flights/ferry money into a lovely B&B in Northumberland. Shit tonnes of great non-climbing stuff to enjoy (Bamburgh Castle, Holy Isle, Farne Isles, beaches, cycling, blah blah blah.

+1 for AirBnB

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I'd second Budapest. Bruges is also lovely (although I've not been on a 'romantic' trip there).

Not sure what your budget is but I went to Venice a few years back and as a place to go it ticks the romance box massively. I found a really nice place to stay in the city which wasn't too expensive. Can't remember the exact figures involved but I am not loaded and for what it was it didn't feel expensive (which is what gets levelled at all trips there). Just walking round the streets and getting lost every day was amazing and free... Think I got flights to Treviso and it was easy from there to Venice. There's another airport called Marco Polo I think.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

The Inn at Whitewell is always worth a visit, stayed once but eaten many times and always left happy.
+1, stopped there for the old mans birthday once and have eaten there many times since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Other suggestions include Valencia (great food especially the paella, next to the beach, some interesting architecture). Never been to Reykyavik but only ever heard good reports though not on the lower end of the budget scale by all accounts.  Berlin for beer and sausage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy popp

• forum hero
Jim, you can find some pretty unique places to stay on AirBnB if you invest the time (home and abroad).

Just back this morning from a trip round New England; we stayed in five different AirBnB properties (and I've used it before in Philadelphia), all of them were very good and a couple really exceptional and good value - especially as there were four of us and we would have needed two hotel rooms. I think I'd always look at AirBnB first when searching for accommodation.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
A little while back Mrs Hams and I managed to get a Eurostar deal (accommodation included) to Lille in the autumn.

Knew next to nothing in advance, but turned out to be a lovely little town with a historic centre, lots of galleries and interesting shops, and tons of nice little places to eat. Not too flash, but close enough to make the travel easy and very affordable as a package deal.

tomtom

• forum hero
Maybe a little far (3 hours flight?) but me and MrsTT had a fantastic long weekend in Rhodes. Staying within the walls of the old time. Be nice temps in Oct.. Culture.. Greek food.. :)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
L'Enclume is well recommended - amazing food but down to earth vibe unlike some starred places; nice rooms too.

Barcelona?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Another vote for Budapest. Nice city, was toasty warm when I was there back in April so should be nice for your visit.

I went to Milan many years ago, was also nice.

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
Budapest
or Zagreb was good and cheap
UK getaway? (although these can often be as expensive as abroad...) Whitby? Cornwall? Kirkby Lonsdale? to name a few I've tried

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Cotswolds with a look on laterooms/ last minute.com?

tomtom

• forum hero

L'Enclume is well recommended - amazing food but down to earth vibe unlike some starred places; nice rooms too.

Barcelona?

Linthwaite house hotel in Bowness is excellent (hotel and food).. Great taster menu..

tomtom

• forum hero

Budapest
UK getaway? (although these can often be as expensive as abroad...) Whitby? Cornwall? Kirkby Lonsdale? to name a few I've tried

Travel lodge. Slough? ;)

cofe

• forum hero
Legoland?
Oakfurnitureland?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero

Barcelona?

Linthwaite house hotel in Bowness is excellent (hotel and food).. Great taster menu..

Second Linthwaite House, went to a wedding there and stayed over. Lovely place.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Several colleagues and friends outside of work have all been to Berlin in the last twelve months and all have come back singing its praises.  Short, cheap flights too.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Budapest

Travel lodge. Slough? ;)

One of my and Fiona's first nights away was a romantic overnight stay in the Worksop Travelodge!

andy_e

• forum hero
Now there's an idea, you could squeeze in a quick Anston hit too...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal