UKBouldering.com

Lower Blackwell Dale access (Read 1718 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Lower Blackwell Dale access
August 05, 2015, 10:15:31 am
The fence where climbers leave the road was looking in a bad state and sheep could easily have escaped onto the road where the wall had collapsed and the fence wires were broken. As this is obviously due to climbers it would have been a disaster for the access. I’ve now rearranged the wall so it’s not pushing on the fence and fixed the fence wires. To make it easier for climbers to cross without weighting/damaging the fence I’ve de-fanged the barbed wire for a section, and where there was a missing staple on the fence post for the barbed wire I’ve put a nail. Please hook the wire back on the nail after you’ve crossed. I’ve left some fence wire at the bottom of the nearby tree for any future repairs.

dave

#1 Re: Lower Blackwell Dale access
August 05, 2015, 10:30:17 am
Good work word - just out of interest where is this bit you're on about? I only ask cos I have always crossed by the tree directly opposite the beginners wall layby, and there is no wall there and the fence is in fine nick.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Lower Blackwell Dale access
August 05, 2015, 11:16:37 am
It is pretty much opposite BW, a tad downhill perhaps. It’s the obvious crossing point with a well-defined path on either side of it these days. The wall is derelict and on the road side of the fence so you may not have noticed it (it runs the length of the field so you will have crossed it). It wasn’t part of the stock barrier but climbers going over it had meant several large blocks had collapsed onto the fence pushing it down and contributing to the wires breaking. The broken wires were four of five of the vertical links, all the horizontals were intact, so again you may not have noticed the damage, but the gaps left were big enough for a sheep to get through. The barbed wire line had also become detached from the fence post due to a U shaped nail pulling out.

dave

#3 Re: Lower Blackwell Dale access
August 05, 2015, 11:21:35 am
I get you, must be downhill of where I have tended to cross.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal