UKBouldering.com

Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix (Read 4690 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 09:45:08 am
I strained my bicep bouldering on Tuesday, nothing major, the type of thing that will be gone in a week but I need to pull hard on it today and currently it's letting me know it's there when I bend my arm under no load. Plus I injured it on a powerful undercut which is what is required from it today.

Is there anything I can do to prevent that happening? Is a good massage going to help, pain killers, etc?

Seb

• addict
#1 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 10:30:13 am
Not really. You should probably rest it  :sorry:.

cha1n

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 10:47:32 am
I know Seb but you know how it is with sport climbing when you've arranged partners and taken a half-day holiday, etc. Fair enough, I'll just load up on pain killers and hope the pain goes away once I'm warm (whilst knowing the back of my mind that I'm making things worse).

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 11:49:18 am
Fair enough chain but you know how it is when your bicep ends up at your shoulder cos you're not warm enough or using a muscle when you shouldn't. You knew the answer was rest before you posted.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 12:18:19 pm
Currently sitting at the end of a third week of rest with a strained Brachioraidialis and I know the feeling, especially in light of an impending forced break for family commitments.

The point being, after learning the hard way repeatedly; I know I have to sit it out.

You know that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cha1n

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 12:27:37 pm
Yeh I know I should rest it but I also know from past experience with other muscle strains that it should be ok once I warm up but I don't want the pain to hold me back.

I'm sort of committed to an all-out effort today, only 2 weeks left until goal failure! Cue me back on here at 9pm asking for recommendations for a good physio, ha.

36chambers

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 12:38:25 pm
Bare in mind that if you're injured you won't be able to pull as hard.

It's simply a question of what will you regret more, resting today and not ticking, or going hard and sustaining a long term injury?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 04:09:22 pm
Excuse me for being blunt, but my advice is don't be a fucking idiot.

petejh

• forum hero
#8 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 05:04:09 pm
I strained my bicep bouldering on Tuesday, nothing major, the type of thing that will be gone in a week but I need to pull hard on it today and currently it's letting me know it's there when I bend my arm under no load. Plus I injured it on a powerful undercut which is what is required from it today.

Is there anything I can do to prevent that happening? Is a good massage going to help, pain killers, etc?

Too funny! You don't 'need' to pull hard on it you 'want' to pull hard on it.

Pull hard on it then!

Only two weeks left 'till goal failure!
What's the goal, fuck yourself by mid-august?!

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#9 Re: Bicep Strain - Temporary quick fix
July 30, 2015, 05:36:42 pm

I've torn a bicep. I can't recommend it. 4 Months off climbing (and surfing and and and) and I think you're being shortsighted. It's a crap injury.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Having injured myself days ago, I am suffering with the need to go climbing to.
But I have to agree with SA Chris.

Don't be so fucking stupid.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

I've torn a bicep. I can't recommend it. 4 Months off climbing (and surfing and and and) and I think you're being shortsighted. It's a crap injury.

You were quite lucky then. I tore both ends but elbow insertion was the worst...it took 9 months to get 100% better.

I wonder if Chain can beat that?
 :popcorn:

cha1n

• forum hero
Wow, this escalated quickly.

Well I went anyway but went for the 'I won't try very hard through fear of making it worse'. I don't feel like I've made it any worse but suppose I won't know until tomorrow.

I'm usually fairly sensible with injuries but it's so awkward with routes as you have to let someone down or waste and evening belaying whilst you twiddle your thumbs inbetween. Annoying knowing that it probably needs a week or so to heal whilst knowing that I've only got 2 weeks to meet my goal of climbing an 8a before my 30th. Even more annoying that I injured myself on some shit, indoor boulder problem that I don't even care about.

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
I would rather see you climbing 8a at 30 years and 2 weeks, than maybe 7c at 31.

cha1n

• forum hero
Ha, yeh it's turning into a bit of a weird one, this 8a before 30 goal because it's looking like I probably won't do it so it's probably not worth risking any long-term injuries over.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Wow, this escalated quickly.

Well I went anyway but went for the 'I won't try very hard through fear of making it worse'. I don't feel like I've made it any worse but suppose I won't know until tomorrow.

You'd know if you'd properly ruptured something, the pain would be immediate and excruciating.

Take it easy and you'll tick what you're after.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
the pain would be immediate and excruciating.

Or not, in my case - but the fact that my bicep had rolled up at my elbow and was flopping around far more than the other one was an indication that something was wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal