UKBouldering.com

Unspecific elbow pain (Read 4612 times)

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 07:32:02 am
Has anyone got any advice for me, this is really starting to bother me.......

The pain is worst when I wake up and it not specific to the inside or outside of my elbow, just generally across the whole width. When I first wake up I feel pain on flexion and extension. I have been climbing lightly over the last few weeks but am facing the prospect of 3 weeks climbing and it seems to be getting worse!

My elbow started to nag a little after a font trip in May but even then the pain was not specific to one area of it. I think I may be lying on it over night which could not be helping.

Any advice gratefully accepted and any thoughts on what I could do to cope with the punishment I am just about to give it welcome.

cha1n

• forum hero
#1 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 08:58:10 am
No idea if this is relevant but I've had to train myself to sleep with my arms by my side instead of while my arms bent at the elbows, as I'd invariably end up sleep on one of my arms with the arm bent and would wake up with terrible elbow pain. Might be worth a try.

36chambers

• forum hero
#2 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 10:38:09 am
No idea if this is relevant but I've had to train myself to sleep with my arms by my side instead of while my arms bent at the elbows, as I'd invariably end up sleep on one of my arms with the arm bent and would wake up with terrible elbow pain. Might be worth a try.

+1

I sometimes wake having slept on my side, on bent arms, with severe pain across the width of my elbow too. Switching to sleeping on my back with arms by my side and palms facing up has definitely help. Although, it's hard to dictate what position you end up in as you sleep.

I suffer from acute golfers elbow, which flares up every now and then, and awkward sleeping positions definitely aggravate it. That being said, you'll still need to do all the necessary exercises to eliminate elbow pain in the first place.

petejh

• forum hero
#3 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 11:02:36 am
 ^ this; an ergonomic mouse if you use a computer for work; stretching & massage to loosen the forearm extensor and flexor muscles; and simple eccentrics using the other hand as resistance. Pretty much covers elbows unless it's something really nasty. Just keep climbing through it while doing the above. The evoluent ergonomic mouse is pricey but it's got a special neon blue light which aids tendon healing.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 11:55:45 am
I can wholeheartedly recommend massaging the forearm area with some force. The number of knots and tight muscles in my forearms has surprised me. The muscles on the top of my forearm quite often get very tight and so do the ones on the inside (put your hand out as if to shake someones hand and its the muscle facing down underneath your forearm.

As others have said, make sure you are sleeping on your back with your hands at your side.

Along with those two, do the eccentrics and you will probably recover quite quickly.

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 12:52:57 pm

+1

I sometimes wake having slept on my side, on bent arms, with severe pain across the width of my elbow too. Switching to sleeping on my back with arms by my side and palms facing up has definitely help. Although, it's hard to dictate what position you end up in as you sleep.

I suffer from acute golfers elbow, which flares up every now and then, and awkward sleeping positions definitely aggravate it. That being said, you'll still need to do all the necessary exercises to eliminate elbow pain in the first place.
Being ever so pedantic if you have a condition that is always there and flares up from time to time. This is a chronic condition, it was an acute condition the first time it occured.

36chambers

• forum hero
#6 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 02:16:19 pm

+1

I occasionally suffer from acute golfer's elbow, which flares up every now and then, and awkward sleeping positions definitely aggravate it. That being said, you'll still need to do all the necessary exercises to eliminate elbow pain in the first place.
Being ever so pedantic if you have a condition that is always there and flares up from time to time. This is a chronic condition, it was an acute condition the first time it occured.

FTFY

:kiss2:

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#7 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 08:54:30 pm
Have you considered that the problem may be nerve related, if the location of pain is around the elbow but non-specific?
I only ask because I think I am suffering with a similar problem, where some elbow pain comes and goes but doesn't seem to come from a specific part of the elbow.

I think mine is however linked to a shoulder injury that I sustained this weekend, as the feeling in my elbows has only occurred since then.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#8 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 09:17:55 pm
 thanks for the replies everyone. I will try to sleep with my arms by my side but I think this will be tough as I am not yet a corpse and only really manage to sleep on my back when very drunk. I agree that the sleeping position is aggravating it. I do like the idea of a special mouse as I do spend a lot of time these days on a computer and I need a special blue light that aids tendon healing!

SEDur, not sure about the nerve thing as i have no other related injuries in the body which may aggravate it though I am no physio so will keep an open mind thanks

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
#9 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 09:22:17 pm
I would agree with SEDur here. If something in your elbow is the cause of the pain there is quite often a very defined area of soreness (as is the case with golfers and tennis elbow). Diffuse pain tends to point toward nerve compression from the shoulder, and from what you describe, and from the fact it started in font would lead me to toward that diagnosis. As always, web diagnosis is a distant second to a professional's opinion. I would recommend a trip to the physio.

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 09:28:33 pm
Everyone who is suggesting that sleeping on your back is the way forward. You are all single right.
If I tried sleeping on my back the thing that would stop my elbows hurting would be my wife strangling me to stop me snoring.

rodma

• forum hero
#11 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 09:52:02 pm
Everyone who is suggesting that sleeping on your back is the way forward. You are all single right.
If I tried sleeping on my back the thing that would stop my elbows hurting would be my wife strangling me to stop me snoring.
Hehe. I was going to post something similar earlier. I sleep on my side in a foetal position as a result, with enough pillows for comfort

36chambers

• forum hero
#12 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 30, 2015, 11:05:18 pm

As it happens I learnt to sleep on my back because my girlfriend prefers sleeping with her head on my chest, sleeping on my side involves spooning and that's the utmost worse for elbow pain. We've been living together for two years and not a single complaint about snoring yet.   

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 31, 2015, 07:49:11 am
Fuck me, that's another couple of images I'll never get out of my brain.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#14 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 31, 2015, 08:47:33 am
I can wholeheartedly recommend massaging the forearm area with some force. The number of knots and tight muscles in my forearms has surprised me. The muscles on the top of my forearm quite often get very tight and so do the ones on the inside (put your hand out as if to shake someones hand and its the muscle facing down underneath your forearm.

Along with those two, do the eccentrics and you will probably recover quite quickly.

+ 1 on this. When my tennis elbow was playing up I went for a sports massage and the guy unleashed hell on my forearms. When I walked out his door it felt like my hands had grown and opened up properly for the first time in forever. Also any elbow pain drastically reduced and after doing some proper forearm stretches regularly (which I neglected before) and doing some serious massage of the trigger point with a foam roller once a week, the pain has pretty much gone.

creedence

• regular
#15 Re: Unspecific elbow pain
July 31, 2015, 09:06:08 am
Another good one that I see recommended by a lot of physios (and works well for me as I have a desk job so can do it a few times a day at work) are the finger extension exercises.  It seems to keep any elbow niggles I feel coming on at bay.

You can be fancy and treat yourself to these power finger things:

Or if you're cheap like me, you can just use a couple of rubber bands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal