UKBouldering.com

Living in Grenoble (Read 1849 times)

DaveyDave

• addict
Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 02:41:08 pm
Hiya guys,

Moving to Grenoble in September for 8 months or so to do my masters working for CEA.

I don't know much about it apart from it's location and that it's beautiful, has anyone on here lived there and can impart some wisdom? Local crags, not so local crags, weather, best places to live, best ways to avoid getting ripped off by weird french stuff, local scene/clubs etc?

Thanks in advance!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1 Re: Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 03:41:23 pm
Grenoble is one of the best University towns in France for a climber, if not the best. That's all I know

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 04:18:35 pm
Get your skis on!

DaveyDave

• addict
#3 Re: Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 09:45:21 pm
Grenoble is one of the best University towns in France for a climber, if not the best. That's all I know
Good news!

Get your skis on!

Don't have any unfortunately.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 09:55:21 pm
Lovely town - but suffers from air pollution. Despite being in/next to the mountains, because it sits in a bowl - all the exhaust fumes etc.. tend to accumulate and it can sit in a haze (unfortunately)... Thats the only downside I've heard...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Living in Grenoble
July 28, 2015, 11:02:35 pm

Get your skis on!

Don't have any unfortunately.

Get some!!!!

Yeah, it does seem to get pretty bad air pollution, especially in winter inversion conditions.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Living in Grenoble
August 01, 2015, 12:04:43 am
I get the impression that the winter weather is just bad enough to allow enough time for training, but when the weather's good then there's quick access to loads of good crags. The only guy I know who went there to study jumped from onsighting low 7s to onsighting low 8s, and that was as well as doing loads of skiing and mtbing too.

A friend of mine currently lives and works there not far from the station (not far from CEA judging by google maps). If you can be a bit more specific about what sort of info you're interested in (areas to live, which parts of the city, transport links, types of accomodation, etc) then I can ask him. Might take a bit of time to get a reply though - it is the holidays after all...   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal