UKBouldering.com

Things you can't/ can do in an SSSI (Read 3936 times)

petejh

• forum hero
Can't: place 4 unobtrusive bolts in a blank bit of limestone because it may involve disrupting some herring gulls that are happily nesting on the busiest crag on the Orme oblivious to passers-by.
Can: Hold a special stage of the GB round of the World Rally Championship - attracting thousands of motorsport fans into a SSSI with accompanying loud fire-spitting turbo-charged rally cars, burger vans, litter, tv helicopters, safety boats,  thousands of cars and general large-event disruption.

Go figure, BMC access reps..

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I don't know who gets the say so on acceptable practice in SSSIs (DEFRA?) but could a massive anticipated revenue from one of these options by chance have a small bearing on this? 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It is Natural England who have the say so. My experience is it depends entirely who you deal with. Some are sensible, others less so. I get the impression it is a lack of experience/ confidence that results in over-cautious restrictions. Likewise such folk are easily steam-rollered by management when a big event crops up.

You get a very good insight into their job/ the process on the recently repeated Tales from the National Parks, particularly the Lakes one.

SSSI designation carries no automatic restrictions as such but that is the perception. The full notifications are available on the web, and are usually well worth reading as you could easily scotch such nonsense as nesting Herring Gulls - they would not be likely to be mentioned. In my experience sites notified for botanical interest rarely involve species on the crag itself, and sites notified for geological interest are unlikely to be damaged by climbing. Being pre-armed with this information makes discussions much easier - most NE staff will assume you are totally ignorant of nature.

Most geologists see climbing as positive if anything, keeping the exposure clear. I was a little surprised to hear the relevant geologist couldn't care less about the bolts in Malham, but then it's a subject that tends to breed scant regard for the petty affairs of man.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I guess if you habitually smash away at lumps of rock to see what's inside them then a few bolts aren't that important.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Interesting replies, thanks.

I started a new (not Fracking) thread because I saw the decision as pretty worrying tbh. Drilling isn't allowed in NParks but it is under them and the timing is obviously looks like intended to get a controversial measure passed without debate and public alarums.

TheTwig

• stalker
I fucking hate this government!  :chair:

andy_e

• forum hero
it's a subject that tends to breed scant regard for the petty affairs of man.

;D

tomtom

• forum hero

We're only a couple of months in as well... very depressing thought.

rodma

• forum hero

We're only a couple of months in as well... very depressing thought.

What are you talking about, this is fantastic, in the past couple of decades people have felt pretty indifferent about the government. should spawn a fair amount of creativity from those inclined to do so, maybe even a decent protest song or two. welcome to the 1980's I believe that even now a little computer with rubber keys may well be about to be released.  ;D

petejh

• forum hero
I don't know who gets the say so on acceptable practice in SSSIs (DEFRA?) but could a massive anticipated revenue from one of these options by chance have a small bearing on this?

Possible, but I find it hard to believe Doylo's spending power has that much bearing.

To be orme-specific again (sorry!) - it would be interesting, fairly simple and possibly quite useful for some QS type to estimate average annual revenue generated by climbers visiting the orme. The orme seems consistently popular year on year. Every car that enters marine drive at Parisellas between 10am-5pm has either paid £15 for an annual pass or £5 for a day pass. Factor in parking paid elsewhere (that goes straight to town council) and money spent in town then I think over the course of say 5 years the revenue generated is more substantial than some might think. In economic terms the climbing is a tourist attraction with a relatively small but loyal following.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Quote from: Andy
Quote from: Adam
..it's a subject that tends to breed scant regard for the petty affairs of man.

;D

Bravo!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal