UKBouldering.com

British Bouldering Championship 2015 this weekend in Sheffield at Cliffhanger (Read 69843 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Thanks Alex.

"We've tweeted that, FB'ed it "

What's that? ;D

FingerBoarded..

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Thanks Alex.

"We've tweeted that, FB'ed it "

What's that? ;D

FingerBoarded..

8)

So that's a gold for Aidan, silver for Max, and a great sixth for Hamish. Nice work lads. Girls? Sorry, will check.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bmc_comps

Duma

• forum hero
No, Hamish silver, max 6th. All on the "effort youth" thread...

pigeon

• regular
OK comp fans

Got 10 emails ;)

The guys are editing some more footage this weekend. Individual climbers on individual problems, will see how it comes together and keep you posted.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Lord you misunderstand pigeon. I emailed for the greater good not because I'm a comp fan!

Three Nine

• forum hero
I just dont understand why they couldnt set up one little camera on a tripod and video the whole thing, then stick it up?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

BMC: If 10 people email alex@thebmc.co.uk and ask for it, we'll see if we can give it a try.

Done.

Always interested in thoughts on all of the above, so email alex@thebmc.co.uk .

Cheers

Alex, BMC.

Thanks for being receptive to feedback, and for detailing the current situation.

In case the guys who made the 4min film are reading this, I'd like to make it clear that it was a nice little short and nicely put together. The issue isn't with the quality of that film, just that fans are keen to see comps live and unedited. And if live isn't possible then unedited and as soon as possible after the event.

petejh

• forum hero
Thanks for replying Alex.

I understand the BMC isn't a public entertainment entity and much of its remit involves either promoting things or lobbying people. However could the BMC not pay the same camera people the same amount and come out with both:
the highlights/promotional material (which is of no interest to 99.9% of climbers) and
film a live stream (which is what climbers want)?

Two birds killed with one camera person (except you said you pay for two). You might need to find one new camera person, happy in front of as well as behind the lens.

Surely this isn't rocket science - I'm not really bothered about watching comps but even I know there's a demand/expectation for:
a. live streams of significant comps i.e. national 'champs' and international
b. footage that can be played back, either in full or edited (but not 'promo clips' length)

If it sounds like I'm excited about comps footage I'm not really - it just seems like something the BMC could do well (although I suspect committees are involved, which can stiffle innovative thinking). Liam's live stream showed how good it can be for a very low cost - i.e. very cheap equipment and a simple format: knowledgeable talkative person with a lens, web link and a platform which allows viewer feedback.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
No, Hamish silver, max 6th. All on the "effort youth" thread...

Hey, thanks for the correction. All on the BMC twitter feed. Sorry guys, simply my mistake.

Great effort  :beer2:

Three Nine

• forum hero
Will liam's live feed be streaming as a 'replay' thing on youtube do you know?

pigeon

• regular
Yes, the ideal is live stream, and we have live streamed comps in the past.

You're right, things move fast. 4G + Periscope opens up a whole new world, as Liam jumped on.

When we first started working on BMC TV a few years ago, having a highlights film within a week seemed ambitious. Now it seems slightly dated.

Question back to you guys. Would you want to watch live streams / unedited footage of lead comps, or only bouldering?

cheers

alex.

kelvin

• forum hero
I have no TV licence, so unedited footage I can watch is better for me personally. I enjoy the bouldering but find lead comps a bit of a bore to watch - same goes for most of my mates, many who would say they're sports climbers and not boulderers.
Cheers for taking peoples thoughts on board Alex.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

petejh

• forum hero
Probably not as much interest currently in the lead comps becasue the UK has failed to produce a competitor. If there was a decent brit lead comp climber ther ewould be more of an audience.

If it was done well (not necessarily expensively, the two aren't the same), the BMC could use the live-stream to publicise all sorts of 'good things' that it does, to an audience who it might usually struggle to communicate with.
= increased support, participation at events, subs, funding etc. etc.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
 Hi, can anyone help?

I've been trying to find info on the IFSC website, so I can put up the results of all competitors in the Youth Comps - both male and female. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't like the table, and I can't access the details.

It's great, of course, if we can give support to all competitors.

Congratulations to everyone involved.

:2thumbsup:

Thanks to Amie at the BMC for your input.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Personally I would not watch lead climbing...

jakk

• regular
Will liam's live feed be streaming as a 'replay' thing on youtube do you know?

Shouldn't be, IIRC Periscope save it for a day only then it disappears. Shame but still better than nothing.

However while I think youtube used to charge for live streaming I believe they stopped doing so a few years ago, so (echoing much of the thread), in theory it shouldn't cost much extra to put it through the service, although I understand that much of the cost would come from what surrounds it.

Personally I like watching lead comps but again its down to the competitors, things like the rivalry of Jain Kim and Mina Markovic is a large part of what makes the world cups interesting

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Quote from: DT
I've been trying to find info on the IFSC website, so I can put up the results of all competitors in the Youth Comps - both male and female. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't like the table, and I can't access the details.

Something like this?

Full list of results here

Durbs

• forum hero
Question back to you guys. Would you want to watch live streams / unedited footage of lead comps, or only bouldering?

For me - bouldering only. I rarely sport climb anyway, but also find it a bit too slow to watch - even the format of one-chance to get the highest (and the quickest) isn't quite as tense as bouldering where it plays out over a number of problems and there's all the to'ing and fro'ing between who's winning.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I wouldn't watch a lead comp if you paid my TV licence for the year.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Quote from: DT

Something like this?

etc

Full list of results here

I was hopping to provide details of all the British competitors, female and male, to give a positive shout out to all. We had a team of 15 in total. Well done to everyone taking part.

tomtom

• forum hero
I wouldn't watch a lead comp if you paid my TV licence for the year.

Somewhere between Dense and Durbs for me (thats not some sort of double entendre..)... I think the bloddering comps have a pretty good format in the semi & final stage... enough going on to keep you interested - not too many pauses or gaps to make you bored..

I think what frustrates me (and probably others) is that Liam did a top job with a phone and a www connection... presumably for nada.. why couldnt the organisers do something better? Or the same?
(I even suggested periscoping it on here a couple of days before...)..

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
I think some of the frustration stems from the fact that as there was no live stream, a decent length video would come out at least showing all of the male and female problems getting done. As has been mentioned, expectations around coverage has shifted.

pigeon

• regular
Hi comp fans

Apologies for taking a week, but our film guys were busy. Thanks for all feedback, and we've just uploaded a longer edit of the 2015 British Bouldering Champs to BMCTV:

http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/bbc-2015-more-action?current-channel=2015

This uses what footage they had - and could cut together - to follow individual climbers on problems.

Hope you enjoy watching it. It's not a full, raw, edit like you'd see after an event had been live streamed, but it does give more of an idea.

For 2016 BBCs, I'll pass all your feedback on to the comps guys and - hopefully - collaborate with them to do a live stream, rather than edited highlights. And failing, that, we'll go Periscope crazy.

Cheers

Alex.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
Can I just say that, whilst there are elements of the comp organisation that could be improved, it's really great to see the BMC responding positively to criticism like this.

Having said that, without watching the video, I'll bet it's shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal