UKBouldering.com

Finger Training While away from home (Read 2030 times)

Richard Sharpe

• regular
Finger Training While away from home
July 05, 2015, 09:33:39 am
Anyone got any good ideas for finger training while away from home without access to a fingerboard? After something small and reasonably transportable, hanging fingerboards seem to be popular but I don't have one, any ideas or techniques that people are already using?

tomtom

• forum hero
Rock rings..

But when I've been away I've used various combos of door frames and air conditioning vents in hotel rooms to hang from - often using a chair put a distance back for feet. And most core exercises require no apparatus. Sometimes I think trips away are an excuse to rest fingers and work on more general fitness - ie go swimming which I never do outside..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Rock rings climbing.
Sorry.
Jokes apart, you don't need door frames or other things to hang from, in my opinion a table is much better.
You sit under the table, crimp the edge, pull up and lock off in an L-seat position.
Fingers and body.
Or you place a chair on the other side, put one or two feet on, then do one or two armed pull ups while crimping the edge of the table.

Richard Sharpe

• regular
Rock rings climbing.
Sorry.
Jokes apart, you don't need door frames or other things to hang from, in my opinion a table is much better.
You sit under the table, crimp the edge, pull up and lock off in an L-seat position.
Fingers and body.
Or you place a chair on the other side, put one or two feet on, then do one or two armed pull ups while crimping the edge of the table.

Thanks, that could work, would have to do it in my lunch break at work as I'm camping and don't have a table at the camp site. Obviously gonna try climb as much as possible but when the weather is shit (very likely while in Wales) I would like to try get some gains without the long drive and expense of going to the beacon wall.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Otherwise, it's very easy to build a portable micro fingerboard to be hung from a tree branch. It's even easier to buy The Wedge.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
As an ex-regular traveller, Rock Rings worked surprisingly well - I'm sure a wooden version like the Wedge or the Slave would be great too (and friendlier on the skin). That said, wood handles humidity worse than resin in my experience, so that might factor into your decision.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal