UKBouldering.com

Assisted lift kits... How fancy is yours? (Read 2101 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Assisted lift kits... How fancy is yours?
June 25, 2015, 05:59:53 pm
You show me yours and I'll show you mine...

I have been refining the Assisted lift rig at the Bunker for the past few months.

I went through a stack of research hunting for a bit of commercial gym kit I could re-purpose, but it was either phenomenally too expensive or just not suitable or both, to go down that route.

So, with a budget calculated in Pence, I began to play...

And got,

Here.

The weight truck is an old Dumbell bar, drilled and through bolted with an Eyebolt. This is in turn bolted to two old jocky wheel brackets (they are back to back and minus the wheels).
The vertical track consists of an old Argos 6' studio bar and some pared down was timber, mounted to a heavy (4"x4" block on an 8"x8"x2" pad) wooden base.
The whole being set on a 3"x2" timber frame (3pcs @ £2.78 ea (B&Q)).

The most expensive bits being the blocks (Harken, Chandlers ~£15 ea).
Old bit of 9mm rope used.
Mallions £3 for 10 @ tool station, make adjusting positions easy, whilst allowing a better force distribution.

Works a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denbob99

• addict
That looks amazing. Maybe building a training dungeon soon so thanks for the inspiration!

rodma

• forum hero
We just did ours with eyebolts on the ceiling and Petzl pulleys. I find it too weird to persist with due to the easy difference between the assistance lowering compared to pulling.

One of the aliens (were you friends with them all, it was Steve? ) used to recommend using bungees rather than pulleys and I think there's some mileage in that. Just add/remove a bungee to adjust difficulty level

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Do you see the two wooden Lapis balls hanging in the end of the 45* board behind it?
We tend to use one of those, held in the other hand, rather than clipping it to a harness (that is something we do with some of our "rehab" guys, that can't manage a single pull up). Once the weight is taken, it doesn't move significantly.

It now doubles as a "lat pull" machine and because the set up allows a side pull, it's fantastic for that.
Again, one of our guys is partially paralysed down the right-hand side, and though he climbs like a beast, he ends up with a significant developmental miss-match, so we devised some exercises, using this rig, to address that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three Nine

• forum hero
I wish i lived in Torquay

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal