UKBouldering.com

Finger Injury - A4 pulley? (Read 2215 times)

b3n99

• stalker
Finger Injury - A4 pulley?
June 05, 2015, 10:19:37 pm
So almost a month ago now i noticed a slight tweak in my left ring finger sore between the second and third joint. It was pretty minor so I just carried on climbing and didn't do anything that agitated it. It got better pretty quick but a week or two after the finger is sore to touch even though I don't think it's really hurt climbing. I'm thinking it may be scar tissue around the A4 pulley area. Anyone had anything similar or got any advice?

(Off to Rocklands in 2 weeks so desperate for it to recover :/ )

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Finger Injury - A4 pulley?
June 05, 2015, 11:19:25 pm
I've got exactly this injury. I also find it hurts less after training and stuff compared to just leaving it completely. I had the same injury again, on a different finger about a year ago now. I taped it and was cautious of it but carried on climbing basically the same, and eventually it cleared up, which is my plan for the current injury. However this may be a totally stupid idea so don't take my word for it!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: Finger Injury - A4 pulley?
June 06, 2015, 11:25:20 pm
So almost a month ago now i noticed a slight tweak in my left ring finger sore between the second and third joint. It was pretty minor so I just carried on climbing and didn't do anything that agitated it. It got better pretty quick but a week or two after the finger is sore to touch even though I don't think it's really hurt climbing. I'm thinking it may be scar tissue around the A4 pulley area. Anyone had anything similar or got any advice?

(Off to Rocklands in 2 weeks so desperate for it to recover :/ )

Ice it. If it doesn't hurt, climb lots at a relatively easy level to encourage blood flow. Ice again afterwards. If you have slightly torn any connective tissue there is no chance it will have healed in two weeks, so i wouldn't go all out on it on the trip. you maybe ok to pull hard on specific hold types, but not on others. 'Listen' to how it feels carefully and don't piss it off! Taping may remind you its injured, and reassure you; it will do nothing to actually reinforce internal structures in your finger though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal