UKBouldering.com

Training advice needed!! (Read 2572 times)

Isobelnh

Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:00:53 pm
Hey guys,

I need some advice on training. I used to be involved in climbing when I was younger, even competing in the British Youth Climbing Championships. But I have been out of the game for about 6/7 years and have lost almost all the strength needed.

I need some advice on how to get back into it.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:04:31 pm
gently

Three Nine

• forum hero
#2 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:09:06 pm
Go climbing a lot

petejh

• forum hero
#3 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:16:30 pm
<this is a joke>

Take creatine.

</this is a joke>

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#4 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:22:57 pm
<this is a joke>
Take creatine.
</this is a joke>
He's a very naughty boy and he's not coming out to play!   :spank:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:30:45 pm
Gently rebuild a solid base climbing loads of easy routes outside or on plastic.
Give your body the time it needs.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 03:55:25 pm
Everyone needs to be able to do at least 2 one armers and a front level nowadays ;)

Sheerioushly, just get out there and start climbing again - I suspect the strength will come back quicker than you think... I had a similar length hiatus and got back to where I was in about 18 months (once maybe twice a week of getting out..)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#7 Re: Training advice needed!!
May 28, 2015, 05:18:00 pm
Go climbing, don't train too soon or you'll end up with Tennis and Golfers elbow like me.

...and I don't even play bloody Tennis or Golf!

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#8 Re: Training advice needed!!
June 01, 2015, 01:04:41 pm
Hey guys,

I need some advice on training. I used to be involved in climbing when I was younger, even competing in the British Youth Climbing Championships. But I have been out of the game for about 6/7 years and have lost almost all the strength needed.

I need some advice on how to get back into it.

I would start out just going bouldering. Remembering how to move. Take a lot of rest between goes and between sessions. Don't get frustrated that you're not as good as you used to be. Focus on the movement and enjoying it. Over a couple of months build up how many problems you do per session, and how many sessions you do per week. Start picking some problems at the climbing wall that you can't do in 3-5 goes. Try to find subtle variations in the way that you climb that make them feel a bit easier. Try them lots of times over a number of weeks. But do lots of other easier problems too.

To me, that's a fun way of improving. I think once you've had it, it's easier to get it back. You just have to persevere through the phase where it's demoralising that you're not as good as you used to be, or as good compared to other people as you think you should be. Focus on how you climb, not anything else. Strength either comes with time or accompanied by injury if you try to force it too quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal