UKBouldering.com

creatine use in climbing in 2015 (Read 49718 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#150 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 03:57:38 pm

So basically, I think you do whatever works for you, if you get heavier, eat less.  If you need to gain weight, eat more.  Whatever.  8B = 8B innit. We should all copy 39, although not sure at 36 my DIPs can take 8B.

It may not be strictly true about the 8Bs, but hell, if Ellis doesnt have to prove it then why should I?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#151 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 04:03:42 pm
So what happens to those extra 500 calories a day?

Even though there is a certain amount of bollocks in "1lb of fat = 3,500 calories", it's mostly in the error bars, not the fundamentals, so we may as well keep it for sake of argument, as otherwise we'll just end up arguing about the mass (haha) of the problem.

500 calories a day = 3500 extra calories a week = 1lb of flabby bastard weight gain a week - that you need to yo-yo off again later, ricky hatton stylee.  Which is clearly not a good idea.

What am I missing?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#152 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 04:03:55 pm
Lund,
I agree that some people just eat too much, but it's important to know whether this "too much" comes from fat, carbs or proteins, because each one has different effects. Also related to the time of the day (insulin sensitivity, cortisol and testosterone levels, etc.), at least according to what I've read.
It's quite hard to get fat with an excess of lean proteins, for example. What could make you fat is the amount of fat that you eat with them (think greasy meat).
Anyway, didn't want to drag the discussion off topic.
Sorry.

Edit: hadn't read the reply. The same applies to eating too little. It depends whether the 500 cals less are from fat, carbs or proteins.

abarro81

• forum hero
#153 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 04:08:10 pm
I find it easier to cycle weight up and down than hold it - I like to go on trips at a weight that I'd struggle to hold constantly

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#154 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 04:15:24 pm
Ahahahah, exactly my opposite. I want to keep my weight always constant.

petejh

• forum hero
#155 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 04:19:35 pm
The topic's been dragged off into the bushes of every topic going, I'm expecting it to veer into a discussion of the labour party leaership contest.

Lund I agree with your ordering in general:
* quantity
* food group balance (protein, fat, carbs)
* supplementation with extra vitamins, creatine?
* ... whether your food came from a can or not

But if we're going to look at eating as a means of giving marginal gains for performance (what I believe), in those simple terms I'd want to optimise each section and tailor each as and when I see a benefit:
(I know you know all this)
*Quantity - tailored to energy demand/output. High at times, low at times and a baseline average to remain a constant weight. (this is what overweight people just can't get a handle on, and refined sugar appears to be a chief culprit in knocking out of skew our energy balance without us self-adjusting)
*Food group balance - tailored to needs. i.e. High intensity training = xyz grams of protein immediately after, with simple carbs. Low intensity long duration training = more emphasis on carb replenishment.
*Supplementation with extra vitamins, creatine? - Cycles through the year according to demands i.e. prior to and during Strength & Power training phases. Cycle off for routing. Zinc and omega 3 etc. etc. etc. if high intensity training or even very long duration low intensity/long road trips/expeds.
* ... whether your food came from a can or not - agree this should come last. But if you can afford to choose I'd choose the highest quality and least refined food in the belief of long term health benefits, and marginal gains, including placebo.

webbo

• forum hero
#156 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 07:26:43 pm
Lund,
I agree that some people just eat too much, but it's important to know whether this "too much" comes from fat, carbs or proteins, because each one has different effects. Also related to the time of the day (insulin sensitivity, cortisol and testosterone levels, etc.), at least according to what I've read.
It's quite hard to get fat with an excess of lean proteins, for example. What could make you fat is the amount of fat that you eat with them (think greasy meat).
Sorry.

Edit: hadn't read the reply. The same applies to eating too little. It depends whether the 500 cals less are from fat, carbs or proteins.
I'm not convinced by this Nibs as in places where people mainly live on meat, there would be no fat people. :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#157 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 07, 2015, 10:51:58 pm

Lund,
Sorry.

I'm not convinced by this Nibs as in places where people mainly live on meat, there would be no fat people. :-\

Like Texas - or Rotherham?

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#158 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 08, 2015, 01:12:18 pm

Lund,
Sorry.

Like Texas - or Rotherham?
The idea that excess protein doesn't make you fat is simply not true.

Your liver is far to clever for that.  In fact, most (?) proteins produce fat as well as amino acids as part of the process. Excess protein certainly gets converted.

All protein gets broken down to amino acids, glucose and lipids.

At the level of marginal gains, it might be important. Most of us kid ourselves as to the relevance of this to our own amateur athlete existence.  Most I said. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mark s

• junky
#159 Re: creatine use in climbing in 2015
August 08, 2015, 09:17:24 pm
instead of fucking around around with supplements that have dubious benefits

go to thailand,walk into any chemist and buy supplements that have no doubts on their effectiveness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal