UKBouldering.com

Short intense finger pain when release crimps (Read 3032 times)

bearontherun

Hi all,

For a while now, I have intense pains in my finger tendons when I release a small hold I'm fully crimping and boning on. It only lasts 15 seconds or so and then their fine, and it is in all my fingers. I don't have any pulley or joint injuries, and have trained for many years both open hand and half crimp where this feeling doesn't arise. A friend said he had a similar issue in the past and overcome it by continuing to crimp hard, and then eventually it just completely stopped, though I'm unsure of this as I've been persevering with it for about 3 years with little change.

Has anyone had something similar to this and found a way to stop the pain from instigating?

Thanks

benno

• menacing presence
I have intense pains in my finger tendons

I don't have any pulley or joint injuries

I'm not sure these are consistent statements... How's your finger flexibility? Do you stretch your wrists and fingers out ever?

bearontherun

Well I say no injuries as the feeling is in 8 fingers, and only last for 15 seconds. I've torn pulleys in the past, with the associated months out of climbing, and the pain there is consistent until healed. In terms of flexibility, from the tip of my finger to the PIP joint it doesn't bow (i.e. a straight line across the DIP joint). I stretch fingers every day, especially after climbing.

Maybe the pain comes from the DIP joint trying to bend when fully crimping, as it doesn't hurt when half crimp?

petejh

• forum hero
'A friend said he had a similar issue in the past and overcome it by continuing to crimp hard, and then eventually it just completely stopped, though I'm unsure of this as I've been persevering with it for about 3 years with little change. '

I love this ^. Sports medicine.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
'A friend said he had a similar issue in the past and overcome it by continuing to crimp hard, and then eventually it just completely stopped, though I'm unsure of this as I've been persevering with it for about 3 years with little change. '

I love this ^. Sports medicine.

"if it hurts, just hammer it til it dies"?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I'll bite...

Where exactly is the pain??

bearontherun

It feels like it's through the annular pulleys or tendons, though it's not isolated to any particular spot. Surely this is something people have had or heard of before?

TheTwig

• stalker
Stating the obvious here but............have you considered going to the doctor? I think if it was going to heal up on it's own it would have in the last 3 years  :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal