UKBouldering.com

Avoid banking fees whilst abroad with Supercard by Travelex (Read 8374 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I've a Halifax credit card that has no exchange fees for using abroad... works great...

abarro81

• forum hero
I've been using UKASH recently. Also seems to work fine.

sjw

• obsessive maniac
I've registered for a card, I'll report back how it works out.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Careful with the thread titles there Slackers. You almost had me reflexively hitting the "report spam to moderator" button until I saw your name on it.

kelvin

• forum hero
Debit card? Norwich and Peterborough for me. No charges abroad as long as you use the account five times a month.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I've a Halifax credit card that has no exchange fees for using abroad... works great...

I think Nationwide are the same.

Likelihood is (not checked in detail yet) that you get a slightly worse exchange rate from TravelEx than you would from your bank, so it will depend on how you normally go about paying for stuff abroad, all null and void if you don't get any charges anyway though.

Careful with the thread titles there Slackers. You almost had me reflexively hitting the "report spam to moderator" button until I saw your name on it.

You could say that about most of my posts though.  :-[

petejh

• forum hero

Just had a read on moneysavingexpert about pre-paid cards and it mentions some hire car firms and pay-at-pump fuel stations don't accept them. Ever had any issues with either of these?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Supercard is now closed to new sign-ups for their "trial period", have to wait for full roll out (if it happens).

Likelihood is (not checked in detail yet) that you get a slightly worse exchange rate from TravelEx than you would from your bank

I guessed wrong, the exchange rate is the same as Visa, but they appear to be doing it as a loss-leader to build a database of potential customers.

Sauce.

abarro81

• forum hero

Just had a read on moneysavingexpert about pre-paid cards and it mentions some hire car firms and pay-at-pump fuel stations don't accept them. Ever had any issues with either of these?

Hire firms will need a credit card for the deposit so I doubt they can use it, I used credit card for that. Actually yeah, forgot I had an issue where had to use credit card on a pay at pump too.. Maybe that Halifax credit cars is the way to go

abarro81

• forum hero
Just looked up the Halifax one and they charge interest from the date you take out money so you'll get stung by charges you wouldn't on your normal credit card where is only kicks in if the balance isn't paid off by dd at end of month. Unless I'm missing something?

abarro81

• forum hero
Nationwide one isn't free.. So, anyone got a credit card or debit card with genuinely free foreign withdrawals?

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
I have the Halifax one. The trick with taking out cash with no charges is to transfer the money to the account immediately after you take the money out. That way you get the visa or mastercard rate with no charges.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

My Caxton pre-pay card didn't work at pay at pump or french toll booths.

kelvin

• forum hero
Nationwide one isn't free.. So, anyone got a credit card or debit card with genuinely free foreign withdrawals?

Norwich and Peterborough debit card.

kelvin

• forum hero
Just checked Alex and it's the Gold Lite Account I have - the Classic Gold one is free to use also.

tomtom

• forum hero
Bump on this - read an interesting article on one of the national newspapers consumer sectioin about this. It seems self serve (payment) garages and toll booths (in france) don't take many pre-pay debit/credit cards...

The Halifax clarity card (which is the one I have I think) came out as the best way to get money abroad (cheapest)...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
just to confirm that our Halifax Clarity card (Mastercard) worked fine at self service pumps and toll booths in France this Summer

took about a week from applying online to getting it in my hand

kelvin

• forum hero
N&P are closing all their current accounts, so there goes my no charge account for abroad.

What's everyone using these days? A prepaid card? Totally out of the loop as I'm only in the UK about half the year.

Cheers.

Paul B

• forum hero
Halifax Clarity CC or Metrobank are the best currently I believe.

sdm

• forum abuser
Revolut.

Charge free transactions in just about any currency you can name at the actual interbank exchange rate.

You can pay by app or by card (there is a £5 charge to receive the physical card).

You can either have a prepaid account and transfer in/out from another card/account or they also do a current account.

Don't leave it until just before a trip though, they can have waiting lists to set up new accounts due to high demand.

The app can also be used for bill spitting, transferring money and requesting money from mates.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
Revolut is great. I have a clarity and revolut card...

standard

• obsessive maniac

tomtom

• forum hero
Revolut is great. I have a clarity and revolut card...

Whats super neat about Revolut is how you can configure it. You can set it so it

(a) won't work if its not near you (cross checks ATM location to your phone)
(b) only work in any combination of contactless only, chip and pin only, atm only...
(c) get a text/update every time there is a transaction (usually within a second or two)

Really impressed..

standard

• obsessive maniac
Note that revolut do not have a full banking licence.

https://monzo.com do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal