UKBouldering.com

Dumb Weights Question (Read 8459 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#25 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 05:34:22 pm

The exercise is where you raise your arms out to the side to shoulder height, then move round to the front and down. Its an anderson bros drill. I am contemplating going from 2kg each arm to.... 3kg. Yeah you heard

Could I recommend continuing at the lower weight, for a period, but supplementing a "Swordsman" routine to increase the strength in your shoulders?
This involves using a bar (start with a broom stick, progress to heavier/longer stick and eventually to a (6kg) studio weights bar) held in line with a straight arm.
Swipe the bar through the full range horizontally (slowly, under control).

Raise it from the floor to 45* up.

From across the body on a 45* rise to the natural extreme. (Inside outs).

From the lowest extreme away from the body, on a 45* to the highest extreme across the body (outside ins)

Wrist rotators. Holding the bar at one end, perpendicular to the body, parallel to the floor , with the arm straight out, Prone. Rotate the bar up and round to Supine.

I have been doing this as part of my recovery from the Rotator cuff tear (prescribed by the Physio) and I'm amazed at how quickly my shoulder strength is returning.
I'm currently doing the exercise you initially described with 8kg Dumbbells, which seems to be my 10 rep max.

(Caveat: This is all done in conjunction with other exercises and I train for 2hrs, five days a week)
Edit,
Meant to say, three months ago I still couldn't raise my right arm to point, without wincing. So the improvement is dramatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMM - do you mean like this?

I find it hard to visualise exercises from discriptions!

Well...

No.

That is part of the mobilisation/warm up.

This is with a 6kg bar and just a few for example.
It can be made harder by working out to the extreme of the bar, try not to let the bar rest against the forearm, so the wrist remains fully engaged.

A broom stick is good to start (90p from Toolstation).

I aim for 20 reps of  each warm up exercise and 10-15 on the main.

As soon as 15 reps is comfortable, I make it harder. So for the 6kg bar, I started ~30cm in (as in the vid) now hold it around 10-15 cm in.
Once I can do the full set at 15 reps at the end of the bar, I'll start with the 10kg bar.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#26 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 08:31:18 pm
Thanks Matt, that's extremely helpful. I will buy a broom tomorrow!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#27 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 10:18:19 pm
[emoji1]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal