UKBouldering.com

Dumb Weights Question (Read 8466 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 11:16:07 am
If one is doing some dumbell shit and 2 little weights on the end of each dumbell is too light, and 4 is too heavy - is it ok to have 3 little weights on each dumbell, even though that makes each dumbell unevenly loaded?

Just wondering like.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 11:21:53 am
It'll be an eccentric load, as per kettlebells. However, you might hurt your wrist I'd imagine (depending on how large the weight is) or hit yourself on the head when you fail.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 11:30:04 am
It depends on the excercise.
If you can maintain a neutral grip - neither pronated nor supinated - it could be fine.
And uneven load can anyway be used to target different parts of a muscle, but this is a bit geeky and I seriously doubt you are four weeks off the Arnold Classic.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#3 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 02:20:57 pm
The exercise is where you raise your arms out to the side to shoulder height, then move round to the front and down. Its an anderson bros drill. I am contemplating going from 2kg each arm to.... 3kg. Yeah you heard

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 02:40:22 pm
Hmmm... In this case you should use a partially pronated grip to keep the dumbbell axis vertically pointed to neutralize the asymmetric load. Not good IMHO.
Why don't you try to tweak the leverages to be able to use 4 kg? Or separate the lateral raise and the front raise.
Usual MTFU, etc. apply.
Or: press up; lower to shoulder level - arms at 90°; brings arms to the front - still bent; do a little press up with arms on the front; bring back bent arms; press up, etc.

dave

#5 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 02:43:19 pm
Just grip the dumbell with the heavy end at the thumb side of your hand, and grip it with your hand as close to that weight as possible  - basic levers. You should get close enough to a balance point to make it ok, especially if you've not got tons on there.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 02:59:52 pm
ok cheers guys

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 03:40:04 pm
3 litre coke bottle with a rope/cord/tape handle?

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 03:46:02 pm
2 empty coke cans on a stick.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 04:05:14 pm
2 turntables and a microphone

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#10 Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 04:53:44 pm
The exercise is where you raise your arms out to the side to shoulder height, then move round to the front and down. Its an anderson bros drill. I am contemplating going from 2kg each arm to.... 3kg. Yeah you heard

Could I recommend continuing at the lower weight, for a period, but supplementing a "Swordsman" routine to increase the strength in your shoulders?
This involves using a bar (start with a broom stick, progress to heavier/longer stick and eventually to a (6kg) studio weights bar) held in line with a straight arm.
Swipe the bar through the full range horizontally (slowly, under control).

Raise it from the floor to 45* up.

From across the body on a 45* rise to the natural extreme. (Inside outs).

From the lowest extreme away from the body, on a 45* to the highest extreme across the body (outside ins)

Wrist rotators. Holding the bar at one end, perpendicular to the body, parallel to the floor , with the arm straight out, Prone. Rotate the bar up and round to Supine.

I have been doing this as part of my recovery from the Rotator cuff tear (prescribed by the Physio) and I'm amazed at how quickly my shoulder strength is returning.
I'm currently doing the exercise you initially described with 8kg Dumbbells, which seems to be my 10 rep max.

(Caveat: This is all done in conjunction with other exercises and I train for 2hrs, five days a week)
Edit,
Meant to say, three months ago I still couldn't raise my right arm to point, without wincing. So the improvement is dramatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:23:06 pm by Oldmanmatt »

petejh

• forum hero
#11 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 06:04:13 pm
3 litre coke bottle with a rope/cord/tape handle?

Don't drink the coke.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#12 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 07:03:20 pm
I thought this was a question about a dumbwaiter. Seems not.

Have you thought of adding 2x 0.5kg weights to each dumbell?  :weakbench:

petejh

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 07:08:24 pm
Or 2 x 500ml bottles of Coke Zero..

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 09:34:36 pm
you can just hold the plates with your fingers through the holes at that weight!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#15 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 10:15:02 pm
That's not a weight? Isn't the definition of mass anything that's 4kgs or over (or newtons if that's your fancy)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#16 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 12, 2015, 10:35:27 pm
Mass is a measure of matter, kilogrammes a measure of weight and newtons a measure of force.

TheTwig

• stalker
#17 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 01:42:36 am
If one is doing some dumbell shit and 2 little weights on the end of each dumbell is too light, and 4 is too heavy - is it ok to have 3 little weights on each dumbell, even though that makes each dumbell unevenly loaded?

Just wondering like.

What I want to know is how do you shit a dumbell? Would the uneven weights make it harder to pass through the large intestine!? so many questions!

benno

• menacing presence
#18 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 11:42:11 am
Mass is a measure of matter, kilogrammes a measure of weight and newtons a measure of force.

Not quite. Mass IS matter. Kilograms are a unit of mass. "Kilogram" to describe weight is basically equivalent to 9.81N, or "the force exerted upon one kilogram of mass by the typical gravity of Earth".

dave

#19 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 12:43:40 pm
Yep, kg is a unit of mass. Newtons are a unit of force.

Weight is a type of force, as experienced by a mass due to gravity. The confusion arises as in casual non-scientific parlance weight is usually used to talk about what is actually mass.

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 12:56:36 pm
F=ma. Go GCSE Physics!

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 01:26:02 pm
Will 3-9 use the force to shit a dumbell though?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#22 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 02:50:09 pm

Could I recommend continuing at the lower weight, for a period, but supplementing a "Swordsman" routine to increase the strength in your shoulders?
This involves using a bar (start with a broom stick, progress to heavier/longer stick and eventually to a (6kg) studio weights bar) held in line with a straight arm.
Swipe the bar through the full range horizontally (slowly, under control).

Raise it from the floor to 45* up.

From across the body on a 45* rise to the natural extreme. (Inside outs).

From the lowest extreme away from the body, on a 45* to the highest extreme across the body (outside ins)

Wrist rotators. Holding the bar at one end, perpendicular to the body, parallel to the floor , with the arm straight out, Prone. Rotate the bar up and round to Supine.

I have been doing this as part of my recovery from the Rotator cuff tear (prescribed by the Physio) and I'm amazed at how quickly my shoulder strength is returning.
I'm currently doing the exercise you initially described with 8kg Dumbbells, which seems to be my 10 rep max.

(Caveat: This is all done in conjunction with other exercises and I train for 2hrs, five days a week)
Edit,
Meant to say, three months ago I still couldn't raise my right arm to point, without wincing. So the improvement is dramatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMM - do you mean like this?

I find it hard to visualise exercises from discriptions!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 03:11:55 pm
The confusion arises as in casual non-scientific parlance weight is usually used to talk about what is actually mass.

So they should be called mass lifters?

benno

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Dumb Weights Question
May 13, 2015, 04:32:24 pm
The confusion arises as in casual non-scientific parlance weight is usually used to talk about what is actually mass.

So they should be called mass lifters?

Does it matter?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal