UKBouldering.com

glandular fever (Read 14338 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#25 Re: glandular fever
May 01, 2015, 09:22:01 pm
Cant  believe so many have been affected by this. Got the results back this evening and they are negative.
Leaves me just a nasty none descript virus that I need get shut off and maybe test again if I don't improve..
As to the mental side of health I'm in both camps and so until you have experienced ill health or know someone who has, you realise they really don't want to be sick or tired.

Probably unrelated but I started taking manuka honey yesterday and do feel ever so slightly (5%) better! A case of expensive placebo..?
Thanks
Jordan

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#26 Re: glandular fever
May 04, 2015, 11:42:25 pm
Any tick bites recently? Could be Lyme disease? Might as well get tested for that too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 07:06:04 am
Any tick bites recently? Could be Lyme disease? Might as well get tested for that too.

+1 good shout. And get re tested for GF and above in a couple of weeks...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 10:19:08 am
Probably unrelated but I started taking manuka honey yesterday and do feel ever so slightly (5%) better! A case of expensive placebo..?
It's used in hospitals etc and apparently is genuine, anti-bacterial properties. Unless slackbot comes along with an extremely long link to correct that. Apparently you'll need the UMF stuff and at least strength 10, the higher the better. Get well soon beast!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#29 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 10:36:43 am

It's used in hospitals etc and apparently is genuine, anti-bacterial properties. Unless slackbot comes along with an extremely long link to correct that. Apparently you'll need the UMF stuff and at least strength 10, the higher the better. Get well soon beast!

Why do you assume that I always seek to refute?  I'm interested in evidence not proving someone wrong just for the hell of it.

Why do you not bother providing a link to some evidence rather than adding speculation?

Anti-bacterial substances do not affect viruses (glandular fever is caused by a virus), they affect bacteria (Lymes disease is caused by bacteria).

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#30 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 12:02:00 pm
A friend of ours did suggest looking down the lyme route. We have not long returned from Provence and I did not quite feel myself there. You do end up with all your clothes on the ground and tramping through bushes on these trips but I never saw any ticks or had the classice bullseyes  bite mark but near half way through the trip I was not quite feeling myself. I just put that down to climbing in the heat. On reflection I was probably staring with all this back then.

If all this continues I will book into my GP and push for more tests. Though as you know  when you go to the GP you dont half feel like all they will do is say 'sit it out, take some painkillers as their is no cure for a virus..... '

As to the honey I dont think it was that helping after all, maybe it helped with a few of the troubles but deffo not the cure. A few days later after  feeling ever so slighty better probably due to doing nothing, I upped my activity and yesterday went back to square one, ear pressure problems returned, blurred vision, poor eye sight, dizziness, sore throat, back pain and totally abysmal coordination.

I guess Joni Mitchell understood how its feels to have been as fit as a fiddle and then next minute its all gone..

anyway cheers for the texts and PM's.

Jordan

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 01:11:14 pm
C.30% of Lyme disease cases don't have the bullseye symptoms..

Though never go to the WWW for a diagnosis..

Hope you feel better soon Jordan.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#32 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 04:44:53 pm

You don't get ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from glandular fever.

Surprised you wrote this.

ME/CFS refers to a post viral condition, following a range of possible viruses, especially entero- (gut) viruses. Glandular Fever refers to the acute and post viral condition caused by the Epstein-Barr virus.

They're of an ilk. Best to treat a failure to bounce back from a virus with TLC.

webbo

• forum hero
#33 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 09:19:50 pm
I wrote that as a result of working with clients experiencing CFS and having numerous discussions with staff who work in a dedicated CFS team.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#34 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 09:26:00 pm
Then you will know that the term Glandular fever refers commonly to the post viral syndrome caused by Epstein Barr.

Unfortunately what you wrote is misleading because whilst one is not strictly causative of the other they don't preclude each other either, a point well worth grasping.

webbo

• forum hero
#35 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 09:38:55 pm
I already gave my opinion earlier in this thread and got flamed by rman. I guess you need to make your own mind up on the causes of CFS.
But then it doesn't matter as there will be someone along in a minute or two to offer a different opinion and treatment at no small cost.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#36 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 09:58:01 pm
Hardly flamed.

I too have a dislike for the quacks who peddle their expensive "treatments" and "therapies" to desperate ME sufferers. I'm sure that's something we can all agree on.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:03:50 pm by r-man »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#37 Re: glandular fever
May 05, 2015, 10:03:36 pm
I hadn't read rman's comments - now I have.

'Flamed' seems a bit harsh. He pulled you up on the generalisation about psychological causes, which I'd say is about right. Really, the debate should have moved on from the Royal Free by now.

As he points out, no one aetiology is proven - therefore authoritative statements like this

You don't get ME/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from glandular fever.

don't, to my mind, address the issue in a helpful way. And that's what this thread is about, isn't it, supporting Jordan insofar as the net can do so?

I'd say chill out, go climbing when there's a bit of energy with the expectation of a short session focused on quality rather than quality. And be prepared to rest loads whilst getting back on track, which will happen in due course.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#38 Re: glandular fever
May 06, 2015, 09:51:25 am
Jordan, sounds like what you've got is horrible. Hope you feel better soon.

Don't know what it is this year but there do seem to be some particularly persistent viruses around - I was wiped out for three weeks with successive sore throats and just feeling rubbish - as soon as I thought I was recovering I'd get another sore throat. Never had a sore throat for more than a few days before. Saw the doctor twice, said it's a virus. Have had blood tests, no results back yet, but after a month of taking it pretty easy (two climbing sessions over three weeks, felt worse after both, learned my lesson and just did nothing), I do now feel almost back to normal.

A friend of mine who lives in a different town and has had a similar experience - virus he couldn't shake off for a month.

Take it easy, eat lots of chicken soup/broth, drink lemon and honey. I read somewhere that we've forgotten how to be ill, and just expect to be able to carry on as normal. We have to learn to be 'patient', and give our bodies the time and energy they need to recover.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#39 Re: glandular fever
May 18, 2015, 03:15:40 pm
Currently in bed after struggling to get through last week and having just been signed off by GP for ten days. Swollen glands, chronic tiredness after not having done much and general coldy symptoms. No actual diagnosis of GF but having had it badly at 15, GP seemed to agree this could be a recurrence.

Feeling for my GF bros...

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#40 Re: glandular fever
May 18, 2015, 10:01:22 pm
GF is the new black hey.....

Six weeks later and im finally improving enough to comment on what has made a difference for me.
3 GP visits, multiple blood tests and still just a virus in their opinion. I ended up seeing a few complementary medicine type people as one day I just felt like I was going to be in hospital the very next day if I didn't do something, resting was making no difference..
Acupuncture massage was very nice and combined with putting into practice a new sugar/yeast  free diet(didnt realize how much stuff had sugar in) this seemed to make the only difference..

Who knows if at 5 weeks my immune system took care of itself but 2 days after doing the above I felt vastly improved.
I was skeptical about it being a yeast overdose and having to go on a candida diet. But after putting it into practice the 5 week headache, sore throat, blocked and itchy ears, blurred vision and fatigue started to fade.
The few times ive overdone exercise I have really paid the price though. Still a long way to go but its nice to feel remotely human again.

Ive never felt that ill and never wish it on anybody. :no:

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#41 Re: glandular fever
May 18, 2015, 10:10:01 pm
Glad you're feeling better Jordan.
GF is a bummer and even more of a bummer when it comes back a while afterwards. Been a while since I had any sort of relapse - must be about 3 yrs now. Sorry to hear of your current probs fatneck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal