UKBouldering.com

Trouble Sleeping After Intense Training Session (Read 4242 times)

tommy_k

Hello again UKB!

Yesterday I had a particularly long and intense training session which went quite well but I ended up not being able to sleep very well and only got maybe 1 hour of sleep last night  :yawn:

Since I always make sure to take enough rest days, I'm sure it is not a real overtraining but rather some metabolism or CNS issue after the particularly intense workout.

I guess some of you have experienced this as well, but I was wondering if anybody has found a solution?

Cheers :)
Tom

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

petejh

• forum hero
Was getting this recently after an intense sesh campusing.

5 grams of Taurine 30 mins before bed works as an anxiolytic and I found it helped.

tommy_k

5 grams of Taurine 30 mins before bed works as an anxiolytic and I found it helped.
Hadn't heard of that before.
I guess 5 cans of over-caffeinated sugary drink company should then do the trick right?  ;D

TheTwig

• stalker
Hello again UKB!

Yesterday I had a particularly long and intense training session which went quite well but I ended up not being able to sleep very well and only got maybe 1 hour of sleep last night  :yawn:

Since I always make sure to take enough rest days, I'm sure it is not a real overtraining but rather some metabolism or CNS issue after the particularly intense workout.

I guess some of you have experienced this as well, but I was wondering if anybody has found a solution?

Cheers :)
Tom

I get the same sometimes, usually when I've totally gone too far. I can always tell if I'll have trouble sleeping by how sore I feel.

What helps me: massive plate of veggies, zinc and magnesium supplement (ZMA (tm) ), steaming hot bath with some epsom salts. Plus a protein shake. Will let me sleep no problem but I'm always in agony the next day. If you are training so hard it's affecting your sleep IMHO you are training too hard, I would be interested in what others think on this..

tommy_k

If you are training so hard it's affecting your sleep IMHO you are training too hard, I would be interested in what others think on this..
I absolutely agree.

Though it could be an option to do this kind of intense training session every few weeks to "shock the system" if there was a good way to avoid the sleeping issue.

I might try some Melatonin, Taurin, Magnesium next time, although for the next few weeks I'll just not overdo it at all ;)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I get the same sometimes, usually when I've totally gone too far. I can always tell if I'll have trouble sleeping by how sore I feel.

What helps me: massive plate of veggies, zinc and magnesium supplement (ZMA (tm) ), steaming hot bath with some epsom salts. Plus a protein shake. Will let me sleep no problem but I'm always in agony the next day. If you are training so hard it's affecting your sleep IMHO you are training too hard, I would be interested in what others think on this..
yes/no.  You know you're training too hard by how long it taes to recover and if you see improvement. Not whether you sleep well.  In my experience, the sleep issue is typically related to timing(working out hard too close to bedtime, you'll be flush with endorphins making you not at all sleepy) or nutrition.   

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
And training load, your nervous system can get cumulatively a bit over-stimulated, particularly if there are parallel stressors eg job pressures

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

tomtom

• forum hero
I find that sleeping after a tough evening wall session is hard/bad/disturbed.. probably because I've nto had enough time to recover/rehydrate properly... never the same problem if I go during the day...

benno

• menacing presence
Anecdotally, I'm much less crocked the morning after a late wall session (well, any wall session for me... I'm normally the last person out of the Biscuit Factory on weeknights) if I sit and have a bowl of muesli or somesuch and read and flake out for 30 minutes once I'm home, rather than getting straight in the shower and going to bed. This is in spite of the decreased time in bed. I find it's quite easy to get worked up lying in bed, getting steadily more pissed off with yourself for not being asleep, which in turn keeps you awake.

tommy_k

I heard about a study once where they apparently told half the group to fall asleep as fast as possible and the other half to stay awake and NOT fall asleep - guess which fell asleep faster ;)

cha1n

• forum hero
Only way I got around this was having earlier sessions. Plus, I figure the later my session, the worse I'll perform as I'll be more tired. I also get the problem that I climb stuff I've climbed during my session in my head for a while after and that would keep me up for ages if I had late sessions.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Anecdotally, I'm much less crocked the morning after a late wall session (well, any wall session for me... I'm normally the last person out of the Biscuit Factory on weeknights) if I sit and have a bowl of muesli or somesuch and read and flake out for 30 minutes once I'm home, rather than getting straight in the shower and going to bed. This is in spite of the decreased time in bed. I find it's quite easy to get worked up lying in bed, getting steadily more pissed off with yourself for not being asleep, which in turn keeps you awake.

Totally agree with this. I often get home after the wall around 10-10.30pm. I've found that if I worry about not getting enough sleep and rushing to bed ASAP then I find it difficult to sleep - think about climbing, get sweaty palms etc. What works a lot better for me is to eat a light dinner (usually eggs and beans on toast - food of the gods) and chill out for a bit watching TV and taking my mind off climbing before going to have a shower and then bed. Maybe lose half an hour of time in bed, but actually do get a better night's sleep.

Also, trying not to finish so late and make it home for 9.30-10pm is definitely better for me - shorter, more focused sessions are the way forward. 

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Totally agree with this. I often get home after the wall around 10-10.30pm. I've found that if I worry about not getting enough sleep and rushing to bed ASAP then I find it difficult to sleep - think about climbing, get sweaty palms etc. What works a lot better for me is to eat a light dinner (usually eggs and beans on toast - food of the gods) and chill out for a bit watching TV and taking my mind off climbing before going to have a shower and then bed. Maybe lose half an hour of time in bed, but actually do get a better night's sleep.

Also, trying not to finish so late and make it home for 9.30-10pm is definitely better for me - shorter, more focused sessions are the way forward.

Pretty much same for me. Way better doing high quality shorter sessions and more of them, by recovering better in between.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal