UKBouldering.com

Car advice (Read 109968 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#350 Re: Car advice
July 03, 2017, 03:01:10 pm
If (Dave & 3T) you're doing mainly short journeys - then get a petrol. Diesels like to be given a good long hot run every 1000 miles or so to burn all the shit out of the DPF.. if you do lots of <20 mile journeys they wont last as long..

Lots of interesting stuff about they hybrids - people at first thought the prius would be over-engineered - not last as well, have reliability issues etc.. but things like regen braking - and the electric motor saving the petrol engine hard work at start ups and when pulling away means they are more reliable (in many ways) than their regular petrol equivalents. Lots of them about as taxis.. I was reading on a forum about a focus plug in hybrid (in the states - not available here) where the guy had done 30k miles in it - and only 1000 of them had been with the petrol engine running.. very low servicing costs as a result...

Hybrids are just a stop gap to full electric - plug in hybrids even more so. Then again, in 10 years time there will be loads of driverless cars about - so the game will have changed again...

dave

#351 Re: Car advice
July 03, 2017, 03:09:12 pm
I read somewhere where in 2011 they tested the battery capacity of a ten year old 2001, comparing to charge held by a Prius of the same model that they had tested in 2001 when new. Basically the battery still held charge really well ten years later, which is good to know.

As I say our driving pattern these days is mainly local knocking around, with semi regular longer motorway burns. Which is probably why the engine in our passat seems to be going well - 130k but I'm sure there are ones out there of a similar age with 400k on the clock.

a13c

• regular
#352 Re: Car advice
July 03, 2017, 07:41:34 pm
My mum has a lexus ct200, inside is a nice place to be but the controls/driver interface are toss. The sat nav requires a nob to be turned to cycle through the alphabet, It'll beep if there's a problem but it won't tell you want the problem is, the boot is tiny and on a good run it'll get 53 mpg.... Personally I don't like it and wouldn't recommend one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

dave

#353 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 09:13:36 am
My mum has a lexus ct200, inside is a nice place to be but the controls/driver interface are toss. The sat nav requires a nob to be turned to cycle through the alphabet, It'll beep if there's a problem but it won't tell you want the problem is, the boot is tiny and on a good run it'll get 53 mpg.... Personally I don't like it and wouldn't recommend one.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Good knowledge cheers.

That Kia Niro actually looks alright. It seems their 7-year warranty is transferable when bought second hand too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#354 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 09:18:16 am
Good knowledge cheers.

That Kia Niro actually looks alright. It seems their 7-year warranty is transferable when bought second hand too.

Yeah - I had a good nose at one in the flesh the other day. Looks pleasantly conventional.... not sure the boot is big enough for my needs though.. 

The Niro hybrid has been out for 8-9 months, so there are a few around 2nd hand - there is also a plug in hybrid version coming out about now (better mpg, slightly faster but less boot space (battery space..).

BTW, manufacturers warranty is always transferable under EU regs...

Paul B

• forum hero
#355 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 09:29:03 am
ditching it for something newer and ideally with better eco credentials, despite the fact I've loved having it, only cost us £2.5k and it has full leather interior and very comfy on longer drives.

Nothing you buy that's newer (unless it's a bike) will have better 'eco credentials' than your existing Passat (the scrappage scheme was a load of rubbish); this shouldn't be a motivating factor. I can completely understand niggles/potential reliability becoming an issue that warrants a change.

And with respect to your 130k, the courtesy car I'm given (Passat, 04 I think?) has ~440k on the clock (they bought it from one of their customers when it was well above 200k), it's a bit of a shed inside but the engine is still great.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#356 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 10:07:31 am
All I know about Priuses/ Priui is that they look to be about the worst car possible with ice/ snow on the road. Something about the weight of the batteries plus engine and electric torque. Helped a guy get his up the road past the Whiteley woods guide camp, a tortuous process, while every other car on the road just drove past.

If you want to go eco get a little electric run around and keep the Passat for long journeys. You got a trustworthy VAGarage?

dave

#357 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 10:23:58 am
If you want to go eco get a little electric run around and keep the Passat for long journeys.

It has been suggested, don't worry.

tomtom

• forum hero
#358 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 10:39:06 am
ditching it for something newer and ideally with better eco credentials, despite the fact I've loved having it, only cost us £2.5k and it has full leather interior and very comfy on longer drives.

Nothing you buy that's newer (unless it's a bike) will have better 'eco credentials' than your existing Passat (the scrappage scheme was a load of rubbish); this shouldn't be a motivating factor. I can completely understand niggles/potential reliability becoming an issue that warrants a change.

And with respect to your 130k, the courtesy car I'm given (Passat, 04 I think?) has ~440k on the clock (they bought it from one of their customers when it was well above 200k), it's a bit of a shed inside but the engine is still great.

All depends how you assess eco credentials. In terms of overall carbon emission probably not. But...

Theres nothing like wheeling a 6 month baby in a pram along the pavement next to a line of stationary traffic all idling away pumping out fumes to sharpen your focus on air quality. For that (air quality)- scrapping old cars and replacing them with zero emissions/hybrid/non diesels is very much the action needed. Spoken by an increasingly uncomfortable diesel owner.

andy_e

• forum hero
#359 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:17:28 am
The seats in that Volvo are uncomfortable?!

I was an avid diesel-head (and still am for long journeys) but I'm now considering whether I still need a diesel since moving back to Leeds. It probably doesn't make a huge difference on driving out to the 'cliff and it improves air quality around me. The only thing that I will lose out on is the occasional trip to Font or up to Scotland, where it will end up costing a fair bit more to fill up. Not sure at all what to do about the next ride!

Paul B

• forum hero
#360 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:19:32 am
Theres nothing like wheeling a 6 month baby in a pram along the pavement next to a line of stationary traffic all idling away pumping out fumes to sharpen your focus on air quality. For that (air quality)- scrapping old cars and replacing them with zero emissions/hybrid/non diesels is very much the action needed. Spoken by an increasingly uncomfortable diesel owner.

Come on, moving the emissions elsewhere in the world doesn't change their existence. The embodied energy / embodied carbon in the newer vehicle (shipping?) will far surpass the environmental harm of your old diesel (sleep easy  :shag: ).

dave

#361 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:23:36 am
Part of me thinks now the smartest move would be fix up all the stuff on the passat, get a new cheap bluetooth stereo, actually clean it, then use for longer drives only. Then wait a couple of years till the Passat GTE plugins are affordable used. Meanwhile swap our '03 Micra for a few-years-old Leaf as a runaround. Will take some persuading to sell this to the Mrs.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#362 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:36:02 am
Part of me thinks now the smartest move would be fix up all the stuff on the passat, get a new cheap bluetooth stereo, actually clean it, then use for longer drives only. Then wait a couple of years till the Passat GTE plugins are affordable used. Meanwhile swap our '03 Micra for a few-years-old Leaf as a runaround. Will take some persuading to sell this to the Mrs.

Almost precisely what I was considering when we had a house with off street parking. If you're looking at a full electric that Renault Zoe looks OK, but don't know if the depreciation has really kicked in enough on them yet.

dave

#363 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:43:51 am
Zoe looks OK but the question is does the mechanical simplicity of the EV system negate my ingrained predisposition to naturally rule out any French or Italian? I had a Fiat once, and it was very much Fix it Again Tomorrow.

tomtom

• forum hero
#364 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 11:57:50 am
Different purchase models... with the zoe the car is cheap (£13k?) but you have to lease the battery. With the leaf you own the lot..

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#365 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 12:08:09 pm
Bransbubble has just bought a Zoe.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#366 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 12:15:12 pm

Almost precisely what I was considering when we had a house with off street parking. If you're looking at a full electric that Renault Zoe looks OK, but don't know if the depreciation has really kicked in enough on them yet.

Not electric, but we've just done this, or similar anyway.
As a family of six, cars are complicated. We thought the solution was an 8seater van; it wasn't.

We just got rid of all our new vehicles and replaced them with a small (Citroen C3) runaround for work/commute @£140/pcm and a 7 seater (Peugeot 308) with a tow hitch and an Ebay trailer (£100) @£140/pcm. They're 2014 and 2012 manufacture, respectively.
That brought our monthly down from £450(van) and £250 (estate car) and reduced tax and insurance bills dramatically.
Just can't understand now why I was so obsessed with having a flash car or even the van.
We went to Wales camping this last weekend, with both cars and still spent less on fuel than the same trip with the van.
£20 of fuel in the C3, lasts two weeks of commuting and the odd day trip within 20 miles or so. The van drank £30/week just commuting. The 308 did the 5hr there and back to Wales, plus running around there and a commute on Monday on £30's worth, too.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#367 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 12:28:33 pm
Zoe looks OK but the question is does the mechanical simplicity of the EV system negate my ingrained predisposition to naturally rule out any French or Italian?

TBH one of the weakest points of every French motor I've come across has been just that - electrics!

Might be best to punt for the Leaf then...checking eBay, looks like you pick up sensible aged ones for c£5k. Given that we need to replace one of our hatchbacks soon that is food for thought.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#368 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 03:20:21 pm
get a new cheap bluetooth stereo

Have you got a line in? I just bought one of these dongles:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Receiver-Portable-Microphone-Streaming/dp/B00Y29NXEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499177991&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+receiver
Works perfectly, just needs a USB charge for forty minutes every 7 hrs or so.

dave

#369 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 03:38:52 pm
Nah not got a line-in. 6CD changer though! Have got a faglighter bluetooth-radio transmitter thing but the audio quality isn't great. Could just replace my knackered tape-on-a-string.....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#370 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 04:16:18 pm
Bummer, the FM ones are bullshit. No way to wire a line in at the back? I got some dude off an Audi forum to do mine, he also fitted cruise control.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
#371 Re: Car advice
July 04, 2017, 04:36:35 pm
Yeah - you can spoof the stereo into thinking it's the CD changer if I remember rightly. My best mate did it on his Audi.

tomtom

• forum hero
#372 Re: Car advice
July 06, 2017, 10:15:12 am
So it's insurance renewal time for me - and it's up from £515 to £550 (pre haggling..).

But a conparethecomparethemarketconaprisons check has turned up a comparative policy with the 'drivers club' for £330 - which involves a self fitted black box (presumably to the car - not me :) ).

Any experience of such shizzle from here? Tt

tomtom

• forum hero
#373 Re: Car advice
July 06, 2017, 03:17:59 pm
So tried the cheap quote - after paying had to call another number then they wanted another £120! Plus a £30 admin fee. Then when I tried to cancel they wanted to charge £30... presently battling with Axa customer services... anyone got watchdogs number.. thieving c&£ts.

dave

#374 Re: Car advice
July 06, 2017, 03:44:38 pm
Yeah - you can spoof the stereo into thinking it's the CD changer if I remember rightly. My best mate did it on his Audi.

Then what will I use to play my CDs?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal