UKBouldering.com

How to get down from long & steep single pitch routes (Read 2419 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The route is 80m long and overhanging all the way. 2 m from the anchor, 10 m above the last draw the climbers fall, with just a 100m rope, and extra rope and an extra GriGri the climber can still lower to the ground.

Note: This is a much more complex way of belaying than normal. Using the technique described here is likely to get you killed in more ways that I can imagine. The risk of making an error in any of the many steps is great. Use at your own risk.

abarro81

• forum hero
Probably better just not to fall off at 78m. I'd be grateful of being dropped just to end the emotional trauma!

Lopez

• stalker
Where did you say it was that 80m long single pitch fully overhanging route with no intermediate belays?  :shrug:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
A friend fell of close to the top of Féérie pour une autre fois every saturday and sunday for a month. 2 attempts per day. How he persisted I'd never know.

Lopez

• stalker
I had to google that. There seems to be a belay at 35m but it's the full 70m for the 8a tick. I just got flash pumped reading that...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Yeah, and falling off from the crux it's very hard to get back to the rock.

ghisino

• forum abuser
cool diagrams.

never done it but someone mentioned it to me and it's more or less what i had figured out.

btw it should work with any combination of two ropes as long as the sum of their lenghts is twice the route's, and you do your maths right in order to switch ropes at the correct draw (that's the really tricky point i guess, if your "total rope lenght" is not overabundant?)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal