UKBouldering.com

Healthy Eating: The Refined Carbs Thread, Simple & Complex (Read 44851 times)

Fultonius

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Danny Mackaskill was certainly not short of a can or 48 last time I was at a mutual Friend's party [name drop alert]. To be fair his talents are less athletic and more skill & balls.

But they certainly provide as many cans as can be drunk.

monkoffunk

more Offline
  • stalker
  • sponsored by berocca and pepsi max
I find this whole thread quite interesting, both the weight loss stuff and the getting jacked on over-caffeinated sugary drink company pre-burn stuff.

There are multiple factors to lots of diet and training modifications, so hard to prove causality; but I've made some changes recently that together seem to have had a big impact. Effectively I was climbing around 7a-7b steadily up til 2013. I logged a 7a+ in Sept 2013 and I'd climbed House Burning Down (7b+) 2011 and El Chocco (7c felt to be 7b by the strong) 2012. Most routes above 7b took me multiple sessions and the 7b+ and '7c' took maybe 4 or 5 sessions. I climbed two font 6Cs (one took two sessions) in Font April 2015, but really I've had climbing on a back burner for the last two years. I had no ascents above 7a for two years and then struggled up Devonshire Cream at 7a in November 2015, after returning to a bit more regular indoor climbing from around October.

Anyway, in January this year I gave up cereal, pasta, white rice, bread, milk, almost all alcohol and refined sugar, other than very occasionally. I've noticed a massive improvement in my mood and energy levels and motivation. I've also lost 10 kg (182cm, 82kg to ~71-73kg). In Feb I went to Font and climbed my first 7A, and then climbed seven more in the week. Weekend after getting back I climbed a 7a+ and 7b in a session, and then next day 7c in a session (5 goes). I used to smash a lucozade or over-caffeinated sugary drink company before an ascent like that, but I've cut that with the other nutritional changes. I did have some pepsi max however, and I do love black coffee.

None of this is particularly impressive stuff, but the before/after contrast is fairly notable. I might be an n of one, but to be honest the changes I've made haven't been difficult at all, and could be worth a bash for anyone looking to improve. I cook loads of interesting food, eat a lot of fruit and veg. I have spiralized courgette instead of pasta which is very filling IMO, but I still eat potatoes and sweet potatoes. I don't believe that cutting carbs totally is healthy, sustainable or necessary. I also eat whatever food I'm served if visiting family and friends. No need to be a dick, and sustainability requires the occasional break. I will have the occasional glass red wine or something with family. I don't drink excessively if I do.

Its certainly clear that cutting the lucozade/over-caffeinated sugary drink company hasn't affected my ability to climb routes that are hard for me. A lot of my improvement might be due to getting back on regular training, but it doesn't account for it all, because I've hit PBs pretty quickly. Losing 10kg is probably a big help, and I think general health/perceived energy improvements have helped. Cutting the booze is a massive one both in terms of training time reclaimed from hangover world, and the negative effects of alcohol on everything.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:59:10 pm by monkoffunk »

habrich

more Offline
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
Cutting the booze is a massive one both in terms of training time reclaimed from hangover world, and the negative effects of alcohol on everything.

I think booze is the elephant in the room for many people, probably contributing at least as much calorific effect as their intake of "staple" type carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes, etc), plus, as you say, all the other negative effects. One think I notice having got my drinking down to about ~ once a fortnight is much better quality sleep.

monkoffunk

more Offline
  • stalker
  • sponsored by berocca and pepsi max
I agree. Among the positive effects, I wake up at 7 or 8 and feel refreshed and get out of bed. Last year I'd have to drag myself out of bed for work and stay in bed til 10 or 11 at weekends.

petejh

more Offline
  • forum hero
Philadelphia has just become the first major city in the US to introduce a 'sugar tax' on sweetened soft drinks. Levy of approx 35 pence per litre.

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Getting soft in my old age.
  • 46 and still creaking on... ish.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I agree. Among the positive effects, I wake up at 7 or 8 and feel refreshed and get out of bed. Last year I'd have to drag myself out of bed for work and stay in bed til 10 or 11 at weekends.

Yep. Dropped to one pint on a Monday, with dinner (date night) and a very rare glass of red (once a month~). Along with dieting (basically switching to a high protein, low carb diet (ie half the chips I used to have)). I've lost 13kg, got so much fitter/stronger and feel way better rested etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Getting soft in my old age.
  • 46 and still creaking on... ish.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Philadelphia has just become the first major city in the US to introduce a 'sugar tax' on sweetened soft drinks. Levy of approx 35 pence per litre.

Good. Should be global.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

petejh

more Offline
  • forum hero

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/15/half-of-fizzy-drinks-have-more-sugar-in-one-can-than-adult-daily-limit

I think it's time for the return of DFBWGC:
Dead unFit for human consumption Brands Who Go Climbing

petejh

more Offline
  • forum hero
Good overview of ketogenic diet versus carb diet for endurance events. Perhaps directly relative to climbing except maybe if you're predominantly climbing aerobically?:

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-carbing-for-endurance/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blog-042517

jwi

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • uhm... huh?
    • On Steep Ground
Not relevant to rock climbing I believe, since the aerobic demand is fairly low. However, people who believe that LCHF is a good idea for climbing should tell me how many letter grades Adam Ondra would improve from switching from a mostly vegetarian diet to LCHF.

T_B

more Offline
  • forum hero
Ultrarunning is full of vegan proponents of course, but there are also people like Jeff Browning (record last year for back-to-back Western States 100 and Hardrock 100) who is pretty convinced by moving to a LCHF diet.

http://bioflourish.com/jeff-browning-running-on-fat/

Megos likes his meat.

petejh

more Offline
  • forum hero
Meant to type 'not' directly relevant to climbing..

Alpinism more so perhaps.

But yeah, diet is low down the list of priorities comparer to strong fingers and good movement skills.

duncan

more Offline
  • forum hero
Hazel Findlay's piece on over-caffeinated sugary drink company 1 and over-caffeinated sugary drink company 2 sponsoring climbers: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/sweet-dreams-why-do-big-brands-crave-climbers

Good for her and the BMC.

tomtom

more Offline
  • forum hero
a good read that.

Monolith

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Just over a month in to a vegan diet now. The first ten days were pretty tough in learning new recipes and what I could and couldn't eat from commercial sandwich and wrap lines (sometimes needed when out with work). I hadn't been eating meat for the year past and I was pescatarian for 21 years since birth.

So far it's one of the best decisions I've made and it's encouraging me to cook a lot more (saving money in the process). It's way harder to snack on junk and I'm not eating milk chocolate and all that sort of jazz.

I know Andy Popp of this parish has been a vegan for a long time but are there many others?

Mike Tyson

more Offline
  • forum hero
I'm one day into my low FODMAP diet, and I'm not off to a good start! I thought halloumi was on the nice list, turns out its naughty. Oops. I think this initial period is going to be difficult, but it's good to know it'll pass and hopefully become manageable.

36chambers

more Offline
  • junky
I know Andy Popp of this parish has been a vegan for a long time but are there many others?

Veggie for over 10 years, was vegan for 2016, but now I'm an "at home vegan" and resort to vegetarianism if eating out and it's too much hassle otherwise. A compromise that can make things considerably easier.

jwi

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • uhm... huh?
    • On Steep Ground
Hazel Findlay's piece on over-caffeinated sugary drink company 1 and over-caffeinated sugary drink company 2 sponsoring climbers: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/sweet-dreams-why-do-big-brands-crave-climbers

Good for her and the BMC.
Excellent.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

petejh

more Offline
  • forum hero
https://examine.com/nutrition/do-high-carbohydrate-diets-increase-the-risk-of-death/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blog-091917

''The results of this study are worth following up on. They could be coroborated by randomized controlled trials or by examining different factors, such as micronutrient deficiencies. By themselves, they may not be strong enough to reform the prevalent dietary guidelines, but combined with other evidence, they may contribute to future guidelines raising their caps on fats and lowering their caps on carbohydrates.''