UKBouldering.com

stick up for stanage (Read 12988 times)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 11:34:39 am
not sure if this has been linked elsewhere but think its worth a look - its an attempt to deal with the PDNP wanting to raise funds from the estate, whilst avoiding enforced parking charges or increasing parking metered areas - think bill and rebekah will be around the crag car parks this holiday with some info etc. (the other day the plantation car park was almost empty but the lane verges alongside had a dozen cars parked up)
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/stanage-and-north-lees/stick-up-for-stanage

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 11:40:53 am
I completely agree with the aims of the campaign, but they should enforce the parking charges (and expand it to the popular end and High Neb car parks) and ticket cars which are parked on the verges creating hazards to walkers and cyclists.

dave

#2 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 03:42:36 pm
On what basis do you think they can ticket cars on verges? The ones by the plantation don't have white lines.

As has been said at the bmc meetings, people would probably be more than happy to pay for a season parking ticket provided that the use of that money is transparent and ringfenced to stanage, something this sticker thing seems to sidestep, going on the info on that link.

Sloper

• forum hero
#3 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 03:58:06 pm
err obstructing a highway?

I think you need a road traffic roder for white / yellow lines but not for the above.

And as for the 'people would be happy to pay for a season ticket etc' well people are clearly not happy to pay on an ad hoc basis and there needs to be some enforcement to change that behaviour and the lack of 'ring fencing' is to me just a convenient excuse for taking the piss and expecting someone else to pay.

I seem to remember some teachers damaging the machine at Curbar not knowing they were on CCTV, I seem to remember one nearly lost his job as a result.

The problem with rignfencing monies is that it doesn't work which is basically the reason no one does it.

So while I think we should support the initiative, the number of regulars will still be insufficeint and we need to do something about the vast majority of visitors who not only park o/side the car park but also those that park int he car park and don't pay.

kelvin

• forum hero
#4 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 05:05:50 pm
Part of the problem of non payment in the car park is, I'm sure, down to people just wandering in to have a look, to see what the conditions are like and then actually climbing because it's fine. No one wants to pay £4 or whatever it is and find out the conditions are crap.

Maybe a season ticket for the area would be better...

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 05:30:52 pm

Am I missing something - but looking at the link isnt that what the sticker is? £15 and free car park use for a year?

Seems to make sense to me...

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#6 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 05:49:24 pm
I think its an attempt to avoid the aggro/bad feeling involved in getting a ticket, and also a result of feedback at some of the forum meetings, where it was seen as a more inclusive way of raising ££ -
the number of regulars will still be insufficeint
agree with that, but I'll be getting one, and I never paid for parking.

kelvin

• forum hero
#7 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 05:53:27 pm

Am I missing something - but looking at the link isnt that what the sticker is? £15 and free car park use for a year?

Seems to make sense to me...

Just badly worded by me Tom - 'better than what happens now'

Sloper

• forum hero
#8 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 09:04:28 pm
I think its an attempt to avoid the aggro/bad feeling involved in getting a ticket, and also a result of feedback at some of the forum meetings, where it was seen as a more inclusive way of raising ££ -

Genuinely interested in why you happily admit to never paying, is it because you don't believe in contributing to the peak park, somehow think that you're entitled not to pay because you're a climber or is it some other reason?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 09:36:46 pm
Possibly because you're not entitled to pay? Call me old fashioned.

Sloper

• forum hero
#10 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 09:41:25 pm
Possibly because you're not entitled to pay? Call me old fashioned.

Is there a translate button?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 09:50:23 pm
Have you read your last post on the political thread back to yourself? Read your last post on this thread as well, I was pointing out that you're NOT entitled to pay to park at Stanage. So why are you trying to make someone look like they're out of order because they've admitted to not doing something they don't need to do?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#12 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 09:58:33 pm
For what it's worth, I have always purchased the annual permit from PDNPA, though it's a fair bit cheaper being a resident in the park. Sure, there are car parks not included, I often park at Apparent North which is free, and I'd love to know my hard earned £25 wasn't just making up a shortfall in their Swiss cheese budget, but it means I "feel" as if I'm doing the right thing and can rock up at places without fishing for change.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: stick up for stanage
April 07, 2015, 11:00:48 pm
I don't think entitled is the word you're looking for Dense.

Paying to park at Stanage has always been effectively voluntary due to two points, firstly there are free alternatives to the one pay and display car park (out of four on the estate, plus verges), and secondly paying for a ticket has never been enforced. I hesitate to call it a requirement to pay for a ticket as the wording on the meter is fairly weaselly - the intention and result being that it appears to casual visitors as compulsory, whereas locals know it is not.

It's worth noting here that the bunds preventing parking on the verges were put in entirely without consultation by the Highways authority, much to the annoyance of everyone with any knowledge of the estate. Having that huge capacity for overflow parking was very useful.

I've never paid but will be buying one of the new permits. I've never felt guilty about it as for many years I was cash-poor but time-rich, and visiting 2 or 3 times a week. For many years I simply could not afford to have paid (you can see my tax returns if you like Sloper - I had a long argument with the student loans company one year as they didn't believe anyone could exist on my income). I've always resented the Peak-wide passes being substantially cheaper for Park residents and have boycotted them on that basis. Plus, over the years I feel I've put plenty back into the estate through volunteering.

(Edit: I should add it is publicly owned land and I do believe it should be funded properly by the state for the public to enjoy. If not it should be handed to an NGO who are prepared to properly fund it).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:07:18 pm by Johnny Brown »

dave

#14 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 07:22:08 am
Sounds like funds from these are ring fenced to the estate, in which case I'm buying two. Anyone going to raise the bar and buy three? In your face ringfence naysayers.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#15 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 07:29:56 am
Yes they are. Pay and display tickets here and elsewhere are not.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#16 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 07:57:27 am
You're right I didn't want to use the word "entitled" "voluntary" is much better.

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#17 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 08:49:58 am

Genuinely interested in why you happily admit to never paying, is it because you don't believe in contributing to the peak park, somehow think that you're entitled not to pay because you're a climber or is it some other reason?

I'll join that guy in happily admitting to not paying for parking at stanage plantation. A voluntary peak park contribution 'yearly pass' seems good. It means those that have less money can enjoy the countryside and climbing etc without worry.

Sloper

• forum hero
#18 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 09:28:17 am
If you can afford to drive out to the plantation you can afford to pay for parking.

I wonder if you see bankers paying tax as a 'voluntary' arrangement as well?

andy_e

• forum hero
#19 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 09:40:10 am
If you can afford to drive out to the plantation you can afford to pay for parking.

You've clearly never had a minimum-wage zero-hours contract job if you believe this. Fortunately, half of the Leeds-Brimham route is downhill so I could save a great deal on fuel and still afford beans on toast.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 09:50:17 am

I wonder if you see bankers paying tax as a 'voluntary' arrangement as well?

Well there was the banker who seemed to think that buying the correct train ticket for his commute was 'optional'... ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30475232

Sloper

• forum hero
#21 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 10:40:26 am

You've clearly never had a minimum-wage zero-hours contract job if you believe this. Fortunately, half of the Leeds-Brimham route is downhill so I could save a great deal on fuel and still afford beans on toast.

It's a good job you didn't have to drive back Andy.

And yes, I have had minimum wage and casual jobs, a lot of people do and then move on in their professional life. When I had minimum wage / causal jobs the difference was I couldn't afford a car (x4yorkshire men & etc)

Tom, and yes, didn't the banker get vilified for cheating the system; it seems as if we're happy if 'our tribe' cheats, rather strange if you ask me (I won't mention lefty hypocrisy and a lack of morals).

a dense loner

• forum hero
#22 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 10:48:25 am
Shouldn't everyone who works in some capacity pay tax in some capacity or am I missing something? Obviously the pedants out there will come out with yes but if you only work 12 hrs a wk you don't need to etc.
I'm not as far seeing as others obviously are so how are people comparing this to someone who doesn't pay to park his car when he doesn't need to? What has income, jobs, affordability got to do with this issue?

galpinos

• forum hero
#23 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 10:50:48 am
Tom, and yes, didn't the banker get vilified for cheating the system; it seems as if we're happy if 'our tribe' cheats, rather strange if you ask me (I won't mention lefty hypocrisy and a lack of morals).

I would say the difference is that the car parking charge at Stanage was/is voluntary, whereas the train ticket was not.

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: stick up for stanage
April 08, 2015, 10:53:08 am

I would say the difference is that the car parking charge at Stanage was/is voluntary, whereas the train ticket was not.

Absolutely.. Though I might try waiving my 'Stick up for Stanage' sticker at the Oyster card reader a few times...

When I tried to buy one yesterday the PDNP website was crook - is it fixed now?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal