UKBouldering.com

Make or Break (Read 4764 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 12:48:39 pm
What's the opinion of UKB on Dave Mac's latest offering: Make or Break?

Is it a useful piece of literature for the chronically injured that'll allow said person to identify their behavioural patterns leading to said injuries, or is it a well-referenced version of the information readily available via UKB etc.?

I ask as Nat seems to have adopted my pattern of getting injured repeatedly and I do wonder if it's something behavioural in the way we both climb/train. This time she hurt herself on one of those bleaustone double pocket, finger jug holds which is just ridiculous.

One Move Too Many was the popular injury reference of the past, and I have that as a PDF. Does it advance on that?

I'd just buy it and work through it but I've got quite a few books stacked up currently.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 01:22:18 pm
has the Bennett stash of rabbit's feet, horseshoes and lucky heather all been put into storage  in preparation for moving?

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 01:28:08 pm
Have you seen Steve's review?

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/make_or_break.htm

Quote "As soon as Make or Break arrived I made a cup of tea, sat down and eagerly turned to section 10 “The Shoulder” hoping for some sage advice on how to fix my sore shoulder and get back climbing ASAP. Chapter 10 starts “If you are reading this section having suffered an injury, STOP. First, go and book yourself a session with the finest sports medical doctor or the best physiotherapist you can find ...” Once booked in you can continue reading so that you can best understand their advice."

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 01:35:56 pm
I think its good as a general text to read on the topic of climbing injuries but I don't think any of the recovery advice is particularly new. A large part of the book addresses the reasons we get injured, how to adapt what we do to prevent this and how to make sure you notice the signs of an impending injury.

Personally I really like it but I don't think its groundbreaking or a fix all for injuries. I would advise you to have a read of a friends or have a quick read in a shop before buying it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 01:44:53 pm
information readily available via UKB etc.?

:lol: You mean asking the same question thats already been asked (and answered) many times before and without even looking at UKB Wiki - Injuries : The Science?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 01:53:11 pm
I hoped buying the book would cure my tennis elbow immediately. Sadly not the case :). I've never read one move too many, but from what I've read so far this provides a good overview of a) prevention b) treatment and c) recovery.

I do intend reading the whole prevention section in detail as I think it contains a good deal of general approach to training info, which I'm not very good at.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 02:11:12 pm
I've read it and I'm reviewing it for UKB, thoughts will appear very shortly.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 03:21:07 pm

:great:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#8 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 06:14:46 pm
quote author=duncan link=topic=25649.msg482642#msg482642 date=1427893872]
[/quote]

:goodidea: :great:[

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#9 Re: Make or Break
April 01, 2015, 11:26:43 pm
I rate it. Well researched, well written. Also coincided nicely with a shoulder injury that flared up again.
One of the main lessons to take from it is that you are in charge of managing your own health care, no one is going to do it for you. It contains good balanced info to arm yourself with when dealing with health care professionals. For me it highlighted my repeated mistake of going to the local GP with sports injuries rather than seeking out a proper sports doctor or physio.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal