UKBouldering.com

Pain down side of hand (Read 1909 times)

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
Pain down side of hand
March 29, 2015, 03:44:43 pm
I did some easy stretching and a few dead hangs the otherday and now I'm having some sharp pains down the side of my hand mid-way between little finger knuckle and wrist. Sometimes painful when hanging from a bar. I did one hang from my back two fingers on the bar so im guessing this could have been the moment. I'm not sure whether it's the tendon, a nerve or the small bit of muscle inside the hand. I've never had anything like this, anyone else with experience of this sort of thing?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Pain down side of hand
March 29, 2015, 09:57:46 pm
Physio assessment, google TFCC, rest it... Get expert opinion.. Standard Internet advice. Avoid anyone else that delves  deeper on the Internet. Get it seen to.

tommy_k

#2 Re: Pain down side of hand
March 30, 2015, 11:55:57 am
This sounds like Lumbrical Shift Syndrome.
Probably a strain or partial tear (although I think you would have noticed the latter) of the small muscle inside the hand.
I had this a few times at the beginning of my climbing career.

The good news is, if you tape the two fingers together you should be able to climb without pain and further aggravating the injury pretty soon.
At least that's how it was for me.

Just make sure to give it a few days of rest first, maybe ice baths to facilitate circulation and lots of food and sleep.

Hope you'll be back soon! :)

RowanSB

• RSBStudios
#3 Re: Pain down side of hand
March 30, 2015, 03:09:05 pm
Thanks for the tips, yeah I'm usually pretty bad with jumping to conclusions on the internet XD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal