UKBouldering.com

What do people put on their fingers these days? (Read 26412 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Mum butter...

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog

Doylo

• forum hero
Just been down the builders yard to get some Man batter.

kelvin

• forum hero
Just been down the town. No man batter, no Liz Arden... I do have Norwegian concentrate tho. The Climb On ran out on Wed and the tips are still trashed from Curbar on Sunday. Picked up some vit E too but then got carried away and procured some atrixo, as my old man swore by it and he worked with water and outdoors all his life. Still cost less than that 8hr shizzle...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Big fan of the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. Worked wonders for me in Font last year.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Prefer climb on to 8 hour. I have hands akin to new bornes skin as I wash my hands 60 times a day... So I'm screwed.

Font in 6 days, will anti hydral soak my digits every night this week, but climb on them a plenty too, to get then skin for 6 days on.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I think we should add a load of caffeine to vit e cream and market it as Manmax Power Paste

maybe show some video of Slackline's fingers of justice setting fire to the inaccurate portion of the interweb - followed by soothing them with Manmax Power Paste ready for a hard day's work with unappreciative fuckwits   

I'd also like to feature in the advertising campaign - maybe just treating my knuckles after helping to explain the importance of keeping muddy feet off my pads and sedimentary boulders

Gritter

• menacing presence
I've used 8 hour cream for years, but have recently discovered lanolin nipple cream due to the birth of my daughter, which seems to be even better.  :thumbsup:

kelvin

• forum hero
but have recently discovered lanolin nipple cream

"Can I have some nipple cream please?"

No. No... I'm not falling for that one.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Lotil is pretty good - it's a cream for dermatitis / eczema (in the "medicinal" skincare section at Boots, rather than the section with Atrixo, Neutragena etc - so you know it's hard-core!).   It has a good combination of  being moisturizing whilst not being too oily - so good for use throughout the day - it is also slightly antiseptic so it reduces inflammation at little nicks and abrasions.  Mind you, a combination of Palmer's Cocoa Butter and Savlon does a similar job of dealing with dryness and cuts etc.  Recently I've found that Sudocrem (nappy rash cream) is a good overnight recovery cream - doesn't absorb very well but it does soothe very nicely - I had horrible sore toes over winter due to chilblains etc and it really helped (dirt cheap too).

kelvin

• forum hero
Nipple cream is definitely aimed at tips.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
But if I could find a more solid/ waxier lanolin based product, I would use it for tips.

Lansinoh?

it's pretty thick

Quote from: unsatisfied mother
Lansinoh is clear but very thick and almost impossible to squeeze out and spread evenly

cha1n

• forum hero
I'm pretty skeptical that any of these creams promote skin growth, however I do use Burts Bees hand salve on my cuticles to keep them flexible and prevent cracking.

I rarely need to moisturise my tips as they are kept thin by all the climbing I do, although the tips of my index fingers stay drier than the others. Weird. Used to use climb on bar for the palm side of my hands and preferred it to the really greasy stuff.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I rarely need to moisturise my tips as they are kept thin by all the climbing I do my skin is soft and sweaty as fuck, although the tips of my index fingers stay drier than the others.
:agree: TBH I would only be interested in products that encourage skin re-growth - dry/cracked fingers are NOT a problem here!! Anyone got any pro-tips for that?

Also anyone tried this: http://www.climbskin.com/en ?

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
I rarely need to moisturise my tips as they are kept thin by all the climbing I do my skin is soft and sweaty as fuck, although the tips of my index fingers stay drier than the others.
:agree: TBH I would only be interested in products that encourage skin re-growth - dry/cracked fingers are NOT a problem here!! Anyone got any pro-tips for that?

Also anyone tried this: http://www.climbskin.com/en ?

:agree:  Me too! Always been a massive problem.

I've recently started playing the guitar, and ironically this does cause the very tips of my fingers to callous up. I'm wondering if I could create a mini fret board, with strings to push down on with the pads of my fingers, in order to produce a similar effect! Not tried Anti-hydral yet tho.

I was distressed to hear that Sam Whittaker has recently given up coffee. He said that the coffee gave him sweaty fingertips. Maybe that's worth a try too. Would save me some money too, but...  :boohoo:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Dave - all you need to do is put a mini fretsimile on each key of your piano and develop a wierd pads only style of playing

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

I was distressed to hear that Sam Whittaker has recently given up coffee. He said that the coffee gave him sweaty fingertips. Maybe that's worth a try too. Would save me some money too, but...  :boohoo:

Noooooo  :'( :wavecry:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Wow!:

Press your fingertips into ridged but not sharp surfaces. Guitar Files suggests using the blunt, rolled edge around the top of a sealed can as one possibility. Alternately, use special callus builders available from music equipment suppliers. These are surfaces with rows of small ridges that mimic the feel of strings on your fingertips. Do not use anything that will cut your fingers; you’re trying to toughen the skin, not destroy it.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/516788-how-to-toughen-up-your-fingers/#page=1

I'll look for recommendations on performance enhancing drugs while I'm at it..

Lagers..

"all you need to do is put a mini fretsimile on each key of your piano and develop a wierd pads only style of playing"

Not a bad idea

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

Noooooo  :'( :wavecry:

I share your pain :coffee:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

Lagers, you seem to suffer from a similar affliction. Looks like your fingers have been entirely de-gloved!

Not sure why it makes you so happy..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
just thinking about how tough they'll be when the skin grows back

measles23

• stalker
:agree: TBH I would only be interested in products that encourage skin re-growth - dry/cracked fingers are NOT a problem here!! Anyone got any pro-tips for that

I used to really struggle with sweaty tips indoors but have had a great result using Driclor - aluminium chloride roll-on antiperspirant. It's usually behind the counter at pharmacies - takes a week or so of daily application to start working, then just a couple of times a week for maintenance..

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm putting my fingers in my ears between 8 and 10pm tonight!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Disclaimer - I know one of the guys who started this company.

http://www.a-balm.com/

I started using last fall and it seemed a step up from j-tree, climb-on, etc. for healing skin.  Prob placebo, but it's an option.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Check out this stuff, liquid callous formula. Sounds worth a try:

http://rock-tips.com/

Also, from my earlier post:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ruff-rider-ruff-grip-callus-builder

I'm going to experiment with some similar DIY solutions for this. One reviewer suggests using the edge of old credit cards, to mimic the pressure of a guitar string, to help build up toughened skin. I'll post back, if anything works.

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal