UKBouldering.com

Font location co ordinates (Read 7450 times)

ducko

• forum abuser
Font location co ordinates
March 16, 2015, 09:35:00 pm
Evening folks,

Had a quick browse on bleau info today and to my disgust they have removed those really handy co-ordinates for all the different areas!

My sat nav has been updated and lost them all from last time, does anyone know of any sites that give you the numbers for the main areas? It was so easy last time using the co ordinates.

Much appreciated

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 16, 2015, 09:54:30 pm
I did some poi s for Tom Tom sat nav that should be still available on this site. Can be converted to be used on most sat nav units. Obviously haven't updated then for a while add I don't have any spare time these days.

cha1n

• forum hero
#2 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 16, 2015, 10:14:41 pm
I've used the POIs off of here on a TomTom in the past with great success.

ducko

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 12:48:57 am
Call me a crazy fool, but how do I find these poi? I plan on using a tom tom so hopefully it'll work

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 06:09:12 am
Go to cosiroc.fr

Click on Circuits, then liste de toutes les circuits.

This will bring up a drop down menu where you can select all the circuits. Then click IGN (looks like a little map symbol) for the map coordinates.

Doesnt have individuel problems though.

I post a better link when Im not on my phone if you cant get it to work.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 06:35:45 am
Call me a crazy fool, but how do I find these poi? I plan on using a tom tom so hopefully it'll work

Check the POI files sub-forum you crazy fool.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 12:54:05 pm
I have gone into Google maps and dropped stars at crag parking locations and as I'm with Three I get free internet abroad therefore can just use my phone (need to be logged in to Google in order to save them). This was/is much less hassle than using a satnav and farting about with POIs...

Fried's beta sounds good though...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:14:21 pm
I have gone into Google maps and dropped stars at crag parking locations and as I'm with Three I get free internet abroad therefore can just use my phone (need to be logged in to Google in order to save them). This was/is much less hassle than using a satnav and farting about with POIs...

You could share that map for the greater good  ;)

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#8 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:27:46 pm

You could share that map for the greater good  ;)

Yes, that would be awesome!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:42:24 pm
I think it will only work if you're logged in as me and clearly I'm not going to give you 'orrible lot my log in details!! Honestly, I'm a complete luddite when it comes to most technologies and this was easy...

1. Get a Google account
2. Open Google maps
3. Type in Fontainebleau
4. Find the car park for the area you want to save (I used my extensive knowledge here but you could use a guide book or the internet as suggested by Fried above)
5. Put your mouse cursor over the spot, left click and hold and it will drop a pin and bring up the coordinates in the top left corner of your screen.
6. Click on these coordinates and it will bring up a box with an option to save location.
7. Click on Save and a gold star will appear here and will always be there whenever you look at Google maps and are logged in...

Simples...  :thumbsup:

EDIT...

Here is the link to the shared map as suggested by Slackers but it does only contain a few areas with easy stuff that I will be taking the missus to next week and these are not labelled so you will still have to do some homework!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:48:00 pm
I think it will only work if you're logged in as me and clearly I'm not going to give you 'orrible lot my log in details!! Honestly, I'm a complete luddite when it comes to most technologies and this was easy...

Nope, I shared publicly the Sheffield Boulders map I created so that anyone else can view them (its linked from the Wiki on the off-chance anyone reads it).

The link I included is to Google Maps > Help > Share Maps and should be easy to follow to share the locations you've saved publicly.

A quick search reveals a couple that others have shared publicly but neither seem comprehensive (to me at least since I imported the POI's into OpenStreetMap on Android)...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&mid=zrs4LZqw0zmc.k67gMO0imAGU
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&ie=UTF8&msa=0&mid=z7ME__rhWDco.kajYLkNdDzl4

UKC have their map but you have to view it through their site  :no:

1. Get a Google account
2. Open Google maps
3. Type in Fontainebleau
4. Find the car park (I used my extensive knowledge here but you could use a guide book or the internet as suggested by Fried above)
5. Put your mouse cursor over the spot, left click and hold and it will drop a pin and bring up the coordinates in the top left corner of your screen.
6. Click on these coordinates and it will bring up a box with an option to save location.
7. A gold star will appear here and will always be there whenever you look at Google maps and are logged in...

Simples...  :thumbsup:

Yep, simple, but time consuming, especially if everyone sat down and did it.  Sharing is good as it saves others wasting time re-inventing the wheel you've already invented.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:49:26 pm
You mean I actually invented something!!??

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 01:53:04 pm
Depends if you did it before the other two I just found.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#13 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 02:35:36 pm
Ha!

Sounds like a worthwhile project... Might get stuck into it when back from Font!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 02:47:34 pm
Well if you're off to Font then take your phone with you can once you top up save the location of each boulder you top-out and record the problem you've done.

You can then share all of those too  :)

ducko

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 17, 2015, 06:02:54 pm
Thanks guys! That French website was pretty good

standard

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 18, 2015, 10:06:41 am
I wouldn't be hard to import Jim's TomTom POI's into google maps. would that help?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 18, 2015, 10:10:23 am
If its not hard and you've the time and inclination to do it, just do it.  There seems little point to me in asking here if it would be helpful to do so.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 18, 2015, 10:13:39 am
Fine. I'll do it this evening

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 18, 2015, 12:46:10 pm
Ducko, simply download the POI's as linked to in the other sub-forum above then plug you tomtom into your computer and simply transfer the files to the map folder. Then all you have to do is navigate to the POI in tomtom, no internet required

standard

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Font location co ordinates
March 19, 2015, 01:50:41 pm
yeah Ducko, i'll put them on google maps if you can't get them into your sat nav...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Font location co ordinates
April 20, 2015, 10:13:24 am
Fine. I'll do it this evening

Not seen any post from you on this yet standard.

I went and did it for Font, the UK and Italy (since these were all readily available from different sources so it was easy to pull them together).

View the map here

DISCLAIMER : I've not defined these points myself, if they're wrong someone else got them wrong.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#22 Re: Font location co ordinates
April 20, 2015, 01:55:44 pm
Handy.  I could open them on my Android phone but couldn't see how to save or bookmark the map, if you want to add a copy in 'My places' on your phone here's the workflow that worked for me:

- From Slacklines maps click the share button (three dots and line to right of Twitter button), 'download KML'
- Sign into Google in browser, go to https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ hover over empty search bar, 'my maps' should appear, click on it and click 'Create' Alternatively go to https://www.google.com/maps/d/?pli=1
- Under 'untitled layer' click 'import', Select the downloaded 'Bouldering Venues.KMZ' file.
- Name you map... "Original great work by Slackers and others..." :thumbsup:
- Once your phone syncs, your new map should be under 'Your places'. Now you can click on a venue and navigate to...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal