UKBouldering.com

Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow (Read 7365 times)

tresor

• regular
#25 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 13, 2015, 02:44:17 pm

Same as you, if I ever skip my rehab on rest days etc it comes back with a vengeance, though since starting my Super Duper Incredible Tennis Elbow Recovery Program (TM) I've had lots of improvement. I noticed it takes my 'worse' arm longer to warm up than the healthier one, though once I'm warmed up I notice very little pain. Tennis Elbow is a bit of a bastard in my experience because once you are properly warmed up the pain goes away nearly completely and I only notice how much damage I'm doing after the session  :'(

My Super Duper Recovery Program that always work is to actually stop then you hit that sweet spot with no pain and a warm fuzzy feeling in the elbow. Just the right amount rehab for me, keeping on after that point always have negative effects for me, while having golfer/tennis elbow that is.

//Tresor

Three Nine

• forum hero
#26 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 13, 2015, 03:17:22 pm
Really simple question guys. I'm sure loads of you have had tennis elbow over the years but I was wondering if you ever found that it reduced the blood supply to the affected forearm / hand.

I have been struggling with it for the past year on and off. I'm an idiot and when its find I tend to ease up / stop the rehab and then it suddenly takes a nosedive and I'm pissed off and regretting my laziness.

Sometimes if I warm up perfectly its mostly alright and doesn't affect my session but I'm not entirely sure what this perfect warm up is or I would do it every time. If I don't manage this, I have issues with the arm getting pumped super quickly and staying pumped for way longer than it should do and never really recovering.

Same as you, if I ever skip my rehab on rest days etc it comes back with a vengeance, though since starting my Super Duper Incredible Tennis Elbow Recovery Program (TM) I've had lots of improvement. I noticed it takes my 'worse' arm longer to warm up than the healthier one, though once I'm warmed up I notice very little pain. Tennis Elbow is a bit of a bastard in my experience because once you are properly warmed up the pain goes away nearly completely and I only notice how much damage I'm doing after the session  :'(

Do share the SDITERP please!

TheTwig

• stalker
#27 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 13, 2015, 08:35:08 pm
I would kill to have no pain! Mine started off as the dull ache and it got ignored for long enough to progress to serious pain during training seasons. The fatigue thing is even worse though, the complete lack of power can be seriously depressing

I've always rehabbed it just enough to keep it at the dull ache stage I think. I'm going to try and make sure that I properly heal it now hopefully.

I've just ordered an ergonomic keyboard to help with it and bought one of those theraband flexbars to rehab it properly. I always found the dumbell negatives a bit of an effort and not very comfortable on my wrist.

2 thumbs up for the theraband flexbar. Though pricey I got the green one and can say it's made a big difference, and I can take it to work or whatever and do some exercises. Sometimes I feel that the limiting factor in using it is skin or grip strength and I don't see that so much with the dumbell negatives, so I prefer to do both. I've gotten lax again and the left elbow is killing like a bitch after spending 2 hours holding a fucking clipboard today. UGH  :thumbsdown:

TheTwig

• stalker
#28 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 13, 2015, 08:42:27 pm
Really simple question guys. I'm sure loads of you have had tennis elbow over the years but I was wondering if you ever found that it reduced the blood supply to the affected forearm / hand.

I have been struggling with it for the past year on and off. I'm an idiot and when its find I tend to ease up / stop the rehab and then it suddenly takes a nosedive and I'm pissed off and regretting my laziness.

Sometimes if I warm up perfectly its mostly alright and doesn't affect my session but I'm not entirely sure what this perfect warm up is or I would do it every time. If I don't manage this, I have issues with the arm getting pumped super quickly and staying pumped for way longer than it should do and never really recovering.

Do share the SDITERP please!

1) Massive amounts of massage. In order of importance (IMHO): Armaid with orange roller, Armaid with white roller, Lacrosse ball, thumbs. Make sure to do all 3 types; with the 'grain' of tissue, across the grain and then putting pressure on the sore spots while tensing/relaxing/rotating wrist etc (trigger point type stuff, way easier with Armaid than any other device tbh). After climbing I will massage to the point where it is actually painful (when I wake up the next day I am in better condition than if I hadn't massaged)

2) ergonomic mouse/keyboard. Take really regular rests at the computer and do a few basic exercises to try and get the blood really circulating around. Cut down computer use

3) Theraband flexbar 'Tyler Twist' exercises. I bought a green flexbar and it's awesome, though impossible to use after training as skin just can't handle it, so onto number 4...

4) Dumbell negatives. Most advice I've seen is to do a weight where you can do at least 40-50+ reps, I mostly stick to this weight. I also just do normal reverse curls and try and get my forearm pumped.

5) Lots and lots of happy happy happy thoughts!

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 17, 2015, 01:09:52 pm
I'v just received the microsoft sculpt keyboard and its already made a difference to the fatigue and ache in the forearm. The angle of the wrist is much kinder than on a normal keyboard so it seems to be a good investment/. Hopefully with this and the recovery exercises I will be better in a few months. Be warned though, its pretty odd to type on still.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 17, 2015, 01:19:24 pm
Be warned though, its pretty odd to type on still.

How long have you been using a non-ergonomic keyboard?

My guess is a lot, lot longer than you've been using your new ergonomic keyboard.  Its not very surprising to me that you find it odd to type with.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 17, 2015, 01:36:31 pm
Oh its entirely unsurprising. I have been using the ergo one for a day and the normal ones for about 15 years. It was more a point that if you need to be super fast for your job I wouldn't expect to adjust super quickly.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 17, 2015, 01:44:12 pm
Give it a week or two.

That would still qualify as "super-quick" relative to fifteen years experience with non-ergonomic.

I find ergonomic keyboards actually help improve touch typing since crossing over from base keys is a ballache, thus reducing bad typing practise.

petejh

• forum hero
#33 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 18, 2015, 06:53:39 pm
That's good to hear mctrials, I'm thinking about investing in one of these and a vert mouse but finding it hard to sped the money on a work tool! Will be interested to hear how you get on after a few more weeks.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#34 Re: Tennis elbow reduced bloodflow
March 18, 2015, 08:37:48 pm
Its going to take a while to fix completely and the keyboard is obviously more a preventative tool but today I haven't had any aches in the forearm. Usually I would feel it within 20 minutes of the start of the day so its looking good. I'll report back in a few months if I can remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal