UKBouldering.com

Retrieving corrupted / deleted data from a camera memory card? (Read 1803 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Yes I know I could LMGTFY, I also know that would bring up 25 trillion results to sift through that would either be ineffective, off-topic, or incomprehensible. Hence asking people on here since I know some of you occasionally take pictures n shit.

I recently got a 2nd hand Ricoh GXR off my brother. I've taken some pictures and some videos on it, mostly fine. But I had a weird issue the other day: I took a video of me punting up some problem, played the video back straight away and it was there and played back fine. I then was recording some videos of another problem, and as the memory card was getting full, I deleted some files off: a few of the newer videos and a few previous photos. I very carefully did NOT delete the sucessful video, and it was still shown on the camera screen before I did the batch delete of other files. However once those files were deleted, the video file was greyed out and trying to view it gave an Unattached File error (this error is acknowledged with video recording by Ricoh themselves as a possible issue if the card read speed is too slow, and I have seen it a couple of times on a newly recorded video BUT this video file had definitely recorded and I had already watched it).

I've just checked on my laptop's card reader and the file is there with a size of 0 bytes. However Windows Explorer shows the 4 gig memory card having 3 gig of data on it, BUT when I view files and folders (including hidden ones), the total data is 350 meg. Thus 2.5 gig seems unaccounted for? Could this be the video and photo files still on there? And how could I retrieve them? I've run the disk error check including recovery of bad sectors, with no success.

creedence

• regular
Download the free version of this:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Then use it to scan the memory card.  If there is anything recoverable it will find it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes the data has already been overwritten.  Good luck!

a dense loner

• forum hero
That's what you should have used as well tomtom  ;)

wildrnes

i use some software called photorec

works perfectly every time

Matt

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried recuva, it found a few large (500meg-ish) files as .chk files, a direct renaming as .avi didn't work so I'll have to dick around with those further.

I tried photorec, it found a few large .avi files that wouldn't play, and some old photos I didn't recognise.

Hmmm.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal