UKBouldering.com

Best time for font (Read 3062 times)

fran

• regular
Best time for font
February 26, 2015, 07:07:51 am
I'm looking at going to font this year but unsure when to go. Many time after August to December was looking at going in April but havent got enough time to sell car and get can sorted. Also were would you recommend staying I'm thinking of either stopping in the van or a gite as will take a tent with me.
If anyone is going also And wouldn't mind a tag along for few days that would be amazing to

Nathan 

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Best time for font
February 26, 2015, 08:17:59 am
After August, I would say October is best. Useful accommodation info here

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Best time for font
February 26, 2015, 11:19:53 am
Best time in Font is whenever you're there. D'oh.
Other than this, I'd say October again, unless you want to play your chances with mega friction and bad weather in full Winter.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3 Re: Best time for font
February 26, 2015, 11:32:17 am
I swear by the last week in Feb - been that time of year probably 5 times in a row and only lost 1, maybe 2 full days and had numerous days of primo chilly conditions.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#4 Re: Best time for font
March 02, 2015, 08:13:37 pm
I'd agree with Nibs, there's never a bad time to go to Font, if it's your 1st trip I'd say go in the summer and make a holiday out of it, I saw a couple of old school legends tucking away the 7s in pretty brutal conditions last year i.e. 34c and if you're motivated you can still get conditions in the early mornings.

T_B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Best time for font
March 02, 2015, 08:48:22 pm
October. But I've also been in September and had a great time and climbed up to one grade below my hardest grades in the forest on selected i.e. not totally slopey problems. I'd only go in the winter now if I had 8 weeks + holiday a year or was an 8B crusher (both unlikely  ;)). But then I've been to Font 20+ times and can only remember a handful of mint winter days compared to a lot of frustration and gop!

ghisino

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Best time for font
March 02, 2015, 09:39:34 pm
as a local i agree with almost everything written so far.  :)

ie it depends...

to be more accurate in my suggestion i'd need to know:
-how long you plan to stay
-would you rather do a big volume of moderates or climb less and try things near your limit.
-do you have ideas for rest days, other than a stephen jeffery rest day
-one excellent bouldering gym has recently opened in fontainebleau, plus you have at least 5 other very interesting options within 1 hour of driving. Does that change your tolerance to bad weather in any way?

ducko

• junky
#7 Re: Best time for font
March 03, 2015, 02:06:22 pm
Climbing hard in the summer is tough but it's great for chilling out and having a potter about, I'm heading there in a few weeks, they call it 'magic march' I hope they're right

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal